Rino 120 V 130?

LisaS

Does anyone here have a Rino 130 or 120 that can answer a few ??s for me? I'm shopping for my first GPS, and as I do a fair amount of hiking and sea kayaking (and really want to try Geocaching), I'm leaning towards these units. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and go straight to the 130 with its additional memory, altimeter, and NOAA weather channels, but would like to talk to users of these units first. Neither of these are an insignificant amount of money but I'd hate to buy the 120 and wish I'd spent the extra bucks and gone for the 130.

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa,

I'm a habitual upgrader so if you are choosing between a RINO 120 and 130 get the 130. I've thought about getting one myself for the NOAA radio.

That being said, you might want to get a unit with tidal predictions like a GPSmap 60C, 60CS, 76, 76S, 76C or 76CS and a seperate NOAA radio.

You can get a NOAA radio for around $30.

If you get two seperate devices you wont have all your eggs in one basket. You'll get a lot more screen real estate and tidal predictins. In addition if you kill the batteries on one device you can move them to the other device if needed.

You might want to ask other 130 users how good the weather radio is. The last time I bought a FRS/Weather Radio I found the Weather Radio to be totally "deaf" and had the worst reception of any of my collection. The problem is that the weather radio frequencies are in a totally different bands then FRS/GMRS so it take a lot of compromise to be able to get anything to work with the same antenna.

I just got the 130 a few days ago, it is great. The weather channels are wonderful the frs/gmrs channels are wonderful especially the repeater channels, 'cause if you live near a repeater your signal can be rebroadcast to about 30-60 mi. Of course you "need" a license though to operate on the gmrs channels but :unsure: you know .The barometric altimeter is awesome, along with the eletronic compass. I also love that you can fit 24 mb of maps on it. I am used to only 8mb on my GPSmap 76. All in all go with the 130 it is worth it. The only thing I wish it had was tide prediction. Other than that its got everything I ever wanted in a gps or radio. Good luck with your decision.

Lisa,

I have a 120 and a 60c. The 120 is a great unit and I have enjoyed using it. The radio is cool but you kinda need to have an addtional 120 to receive the full benefit of it's function. I think that it is wiser to buy a GPSr that you can grow with. My 60c is a great unit because I can use it for a number of things other than geocaching. Autorouting is so cool and the color screen is nice. If the 60c is to expensive then take a look at the Legendc.

Are you saying the 130 is coming out with a color version? Heck, I can't even find the non-color version anywhere local. Finding anything other than regular Legends has proven to be a challenge. If I could afford the 60C, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, being a dyed in the wool gadget collector.

Lisa

wonderful especially the repeater channels, 'cause if you live near a repeater your signal can be rebroadcast to about 30-60 mi. Of course you "need" a license though to operate on the gmrs channels but ;) you know .

I'll be darn. It looks like the Rino 130 supports repeaters. Most so-called GMRS units won't.