Carrying Tbs To Multiple Places - Why?

TeamSeaOat

Greetings,

I just wanted to ask why certain people carry around TBs to multiple caches, say that they "stopped there" and those same people continue to carry them around.

Example: "Joe Cacher" (I hope that isn't a real handle :D ) picks up TB in Utah, Joe takes it for a stop over in Colorado, Joe drops TB in New Mexico - for a moment- as he takes it on its way to.... wherever. Joe typically carries 6 or more TBs with him at a time and they all make these "stops".

What is the purpose of doing that, other than to inflate stats? I thought the whole purpose was for the TB to be encountered by multiple persons as it winds its way through the country/world to hopefully, eventually meet its goal.

This seems more like TB kidnapping to me than the intended purpose of the bugs.

I think that the purpose of travel bugs is to travel. To travel from cache to cache. Some Bugs have a specific purpose such as to travel to certain places, certain types of caches, to as many caches as possible or a number of other specific goals. IMHO, if the cacher in question is not going against the specific purpose of any of the bugs he is moving, then he is just helping out. I would prefer this to having my bug sit in a cache for a long time, I get worried about that. My first Travel Bug just got picked up by a cacher that sometimes does this and dropped it for now. I don't know if he plans to retrieve it again or not and I don't care as long as it's moving regularly. Plus, he increased the mileage by more than an order of magnitude, admittedly it was low to start with, but it's now picking up speed.

Just my personal feelings but here they are.

:D

Edited by LordSaw

@teamseaoat:

I agree with you that I would prefer my travelbugs to travel to many caches and through the hands of lots of people.

But there a lot of reasons for not dropping a TB in any cache you find. Sometimes the cache containers are to small to pick up a TB. And I personally would think twice about dropping a TB in a cache that I think is very likely to be "muggled". And dropping TB in very difficult caches could also keep them from travelling... And up to the moment when a cacher finds a cache he thinks is appropriate for a TB, the dropping/retrieving-action at least gives them some mileage and the owner knows, it's still alive.

Dani

I agree with the previous cachers.

I have a TB named Spot who likes to ride roller coasters. A cacher took him to England with the intention if having him stay there, but none of the caches would fit. So he brought him back to the US, but logged him into a virtual there so he got credit for traveling to the UK and back.

I recently picked up a TB in CT and knew I'd be going to visit Niagara Falls in 2 wks so I held onto him for that reason. I logged him into/out of a cache in NJ so it deocumented he traveled home with me, then when I stopped in Syracuse I again logged him into/out of a cache there, then finally into a cache in Canada. If I hadnt done that he would've gotten credit for going directly fr CT to Canada, which isn't how he traveled. Its not about inflating stats if you ask me, its about accurate stats. The TB went with me to NJ, then NY then Canda, not from CT to canada. Now if I had then brought him back to NJ and I logged him into each and every cache I found and I did this for several months on cache after cache, then that would be holding him hostage. I seriously doubt thats what most people are doing.

Besides, it allows for great logs and adds to the stories of the TB adventures. see what I did with Pumba the TB

As a relative noob here, I think that on the Geocoin that I grabbed and did just that it ws to help with the mission of the bug see Spy Geo Coin 2. unfortunatly the cacher who grabbed it after has not dropped it since. I think for one that only wants to travel this is good, but if there is a specific destination in mind I would only move it in the direction it is wanted.

wrlwnd

There's a few different reasons for it. I have to say, though, that it depends on the bug's destination.

I'm about to email a cacher who picked up my bug at GeoWoodstock and ask him to log it in and out of a cache close to his house... He took my bug home (columbus, ohio) but he's going to hang on to it and take it with him on a trip to Cleveland, Ohio... I'd like the bug's mileage/map/stats to represent where the bug traveled, not just a straight as the crow flies line to the cache it ends up in on the 17th.

There's another bug that I had that instead of going to multiple placers should be logged in and out of the same cache about 4 times if the people who had it did it right. The bug is called BIND and it's goal is to be worn around the neck wherever geocachers congregate. I picked it up at GeoWoodstock and wore it on the Cache N Dash the next day.. AbbysGrammy took it from me, JoGPS took it from her, Southpaw took it from him... but since all of those people owned it, it should be logged in and out of the cache that we were all at when that happened to show the change in hands.. (By the end of the day, SerenityNow had it)...

Greetings,

I just wanted to ask why certain people carry around TBs to multiple caches, say that they "stopped there" and those same people continue to carry them around.

Example: "Joe Cacher" (I hope that isn't a real handle  :D ) picks up TB in Utah, Joe takes it for a stop over in Colorado, Joe drops TB in New Mexico - for a moment- as he takes it on its way to.... wherever.  Joe typically carries 6 or more TBs with him at a time and they all make these "stops".

What is the purpose of doing that, other than to inflate stats? I thought the whole purpose was for the TB to be encountered by multiple persons as it winds its way through the country/world to hopefully, eventually meet its goal.

This seems more like TB kidnapping to me than the intended purpose of the bugs.

There are major reasons for it. Primarly to achive their goal. Then, many other reasons , longest in a race to finish, most caches, least caches. When tb's are in a race, they have requirements they have to meet. If you look at the 2nd Annual CannonBall Race, each bug has to stop in the next continuous state, or have to back track. This stops someone in California from picking up a tb and mailing it to me in NY, to deposit in the final cache and claim they won. Some other races have different goals, they have to visit each state and the one that finishes first wins.

On anther note, sometimes picking up a tb that is in a 4-5 star, would have sat till a more experienced cacher goes and grabbs it, thereby even placing it in the wrong direction with an easier rating will help. Maybe a newbie could help it achieve it's goal, but by being in a 5 star, they feel it's too hard to do. So the TB just sits there.

I carry a personal tb to log my caching miles! It doesn't stay in the cache, just in/out electronically. Many are doing this today!

FWI: If you can move it, :blink: do it! It may make the difference. I can go on and on! Hope this gives you some understanding! SF1

Some nice guy took my Airport Hopper TB for a multiple-stop trip this way. I don't know how he could afford all that travel, but I appreciate the rapid stackup of places and caches he let my bug visit. Very cool stuff. I don't see any problem with it at all... bugs are meant to travel, my bug got to travel lots and lots in one short time because of this one guy. :blink:

I have a travel but that I keep with me all the time that I log into all my caches. It really doesn't travel except to the caches I go to. I got this idea from another cacher when I first started caching a month ago. The purpose of my travel bug (Mike the Tiger) is to log all my caches and see how far I traveled between each cache.

Perhaps this is what the owner of Po on the Go did before he released him to travel via other cachers.

I have one that I am holding until the bug's owners, the mother of the girl in whose memory it was placed, Mopar and GeoHo, who picked it up and brougth it to me from NJ, and Ttepee, whose cache we are going to place it in can all get together on the same day and place it together. So I'm logging it here and there. It's called Red Right Returning . And you can read the stry behind it here .

Another bug I took on a long trip was my Cannonball Runner (racing bug that came back home) to log my miles. Still others I carried along with me for that trip to add miels to them, and drop them someplace neat. But I vowed never to take along 5 bugs on such a long trip again. It was a logging nightmare! 26 caches times 5 bugs? Not again.