Our First Chapter Meeting And Cook-out

My wife and I rented a pavilion and posted an event cache..the response has been better than anticipated and we wish to avoid serious mistkes in our first get-together. We will become the Central Arkansas Geocachers. Several cachers mentioned forming a group , so , we rented the pavilion, logged the event and its on the event calendar. We will furnish the burgers and chicken , etc.,and already have volunteers to 1. Bring a grill and cook 2. Set up a web page 3. Speaker for introduction to gocaching 4. general volunteers.one to hide several caches, including pocket , and others eager to do anything. Does anyone have an idea for or written step by step agenda. Should there be a dues? How do we try to procure door-prizes ? Will Garmin or Magellan help? Is it too early to discuss the satellite that is set to light up in late 05 . When will the new units come out to handle the new set-up? What are the cardinal mistakes we MUST avoid ...boy do we need qualified advice.

Edited by grandkid 38

When CACHE has meetings, someone always bring a LARGE empty ammo can. Everyone that wants to participate brings 1-2 items to put into the cache. Then you buy raffle tickets for a cheap price. At the end of the meeting, we raffle off the entire container. The winner gets to take a ready made cache and hide it in their area.

The money goes to paying for the meeting space, etc.

It's always a hit and people bring the neatest items to put in the cache. Maybe you could start something like that too.

Good luck with your event!

I hope you don't mind if I add a question alongside. I saw a reference once to a T.B. problem at a cache event. So, is it best to just trade person-to-person, or do you just let people grab, then log them. Since the event can count as a cache, are all T.Bs logged into the event?? etc. Just how does this work?

Since the event can count as a cache, are all T.Bs logged into the event?? etc. Just how does this work?

Yep. Typically if you are going to bring a bug to an event, you log it into the event cache then bring it with you. At the events I have attended there have been specific tables set-up where you leave your bugs and look at the other ones that fellow geocachers have brought. If you find one that you feel you can help on its mission, you take it with you and log it out of the event cache and into your inventory. It's lots 'o fun :(