Is this a good deal/unit for newbie?

NWScout

Hi All,

I'm new to this board and have never used a gps unit before. I've done some basic research and have read enough to see that Magellan and Garmin are the main producers of good gps units.

I looked at a Magellan Sporttrack Pro unit that is selling for $199 new. This seems like a great price - is there anything I should know about this unit before I take the plunge? i.e. is it being discontinued? I've also got a 12 year-old son that I want to get interested in the sport -

Thanks in advance for your tips and suggestions!

NWScout

Not really, but I payed $260 for my Sportrak Pro. It has been an excellent performer and holds its signal even in densely wooded areas due to the fact that it has one of the newere antennas. It has many excellent features which will take time to learn, but you will appreciate them as time goes on.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

I've been doing a bit of research myself. I am borrowing the GPS I'm using right now. http://joe.mehaffey.com/ is a website I came across from a link here somewhere. They have a lot of great information, and there is a review of the SporTrak Pro at http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html

Sounds like you've found a great deal. I'm trying to decide between the SporTrak Pro and the Meridian Gold myself.

Zahrim....