Newbie In Denver, Colorado

switchdoc

Hello all,

I posted this originally in the 'getting started section' but some nice soul pointed out the regional forums here and I think this is a better place for this. I appologize in advance that this may be a cross-post.

I accidentally stumbled accross the www.geocaching.com website a few days ago and quickly found myself thinking: "This sounds like the coolest thing ever invented in the history of Earth".

I am brand, brand new to the whole concept of handheld GPS. I get the general idea, but I am in a position (get it position? ah hahaha) where I don't even know what I don't know, if that makes sense. So, as I began to get seriously curious about this I was a little hesitant to just go out and blow money on a GPS receiver and hope for the best. It occurred to me that perhaps there are people in my area who do this and know each other and occasionally meet. It also occurred to me at these meetings there might be valuable information to be discovered. And perhaps beer. I am really hoping that whatever else geocaching involves, that there is at least occasionally, beer.

With all that in mind, is there anyone on this board here in the Denver, Colorado area that either meets with other enthusiasts occasionally to share in this hobby (and could turn me on to a meeting to attend), or has an interest in taking a newbie out and 'showing him the ropes' before he goes out and buys expensive breakable things? In exchange, afterwards, before, or during I will buy the beer.

:D

-Switchdoc

First of all, welcome switchdoc.

I know here in Texas we have several groups that get together and make a day out of geocaching. You might talk to some of the local geocacher's about which afilliate they are with and join in.......

here's one of the events in your area and a contact.

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.as...id=6&submit2=GO

Hope you have good luck! I have yet to meet a rude or uncaring person in this game! :D

We'll be heading to Colorado in a couple weeks and want to do some caching,(including dropping off a couple tb's one being a yellow jeep) if each of you had to choose one cache (around loveland/denver/ft lupton) as your favorite that you think more people should see, what would it be?

We'll be heading to Colorado in a couple weeks and want to do some caching,(including dropping off a couple tb's one being a yellow jeep) if each of you had to choose one cache (around loveland/denver/ft lupton) as your favorite that you think more people should see, what would it be?

This Cache has some of the best views of the Mtns. And there are others that are well worth the HIKE.

This Cache has some of the best views of the Mtns. And there are others that are well worth the HIKE.

I'll second that!!

Weather is a complete crapshoot. :o It was in the high 90's and dry as a bone a week ago. Today we have flash flood warnings and the neighbors are building an ark in their back yard.

In general expect it to be hot in the summer months (85-95) with the possibility of rain in the afternoon. Storms, when they come, hit quick and then fade away just as quickly. It's usually at least 10 degrees cooler up in the mountains, if not more, of course this depends on your altitude.

I believe I read somewhere that Colorado has more days of sunshine than any other place in the nation.

Here is a link to some weather temperature info.

-Switchdoc

It looks great, we'll definitely have to at least give it a shot. Also, what's the summer weather there usually like?

Our summer weather in the Mountains doesn't make you think of Jimmy Buffet. I usually cary rain gear and fleece jackets all summer long. Just last weekend it sleeted, hailed, rained, lightning and wind all within a 10 minute period.

That will be a great change from this place. At one house it's like 102 and about as humid as it can be without raining and at the other it's 100 with no humdity. The good side is that it does get cold occasionally and ices (never cold enough for snow) but then three days later it's 80. But besides the fact that summer begins in march and ends at october, it's ok. and I just read the page about the weather, is that right? 300" of snow?