the bonecacher

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to change those words. I think they are automatically chosen by the forum software based on how many messages you have posted unless you are a paying member. If you are a paying member you can customize the words. Tadpole means you have posted fewer than maybe 10 messages.

and then after that...

well, come on... ive seen boards where 1-10 is one thing, 11-30 is another, 31-75 is another, 76-150 is yet another, and so forth... like, eight different levels to climb up. and what do we get here? two. not cool. not cool at all.

yet another fine reason why i hate having a paid-subscription life.

and then after that...

well, come on... ive seen boards where 1-10 is one thing, 11-30 is another, 31-75 is another, 76-150 is yet another, and so forth... like, eight different levels to climb up. and what do we get here? two. not cool. not cool at all.

I'm going to pay. It seems so little for so much fun. Sooner or later the tadpole will dissapear under my name no matter what.

im not. no point in it. check the reasons for subscribing... what would it do for you? you get to change one line of text on the boards. you get to keep "special" caches top secret. you get to... thats about it.

i can live without one line of text, and no one else in a good hundred miles of me has kept any private caches, so i think i'll be okay for a good loooooooong time.

and then after that...

I'm going to pay. It seems so little for so much fun. Sooner or later the tadpole will dissapear under my name no matter what.

but you don't get just two - you get all the different names you can think of to put there - ain't that worth the $30?

im not. no point in it. check the reasons for subscribing... what would it do for you? you get to change one line of text on the boards. you get to keep "special" caches top secret. you get to... thats about it.

i can live without one line of text, and no one else in a good hundred miles of me has kept any private caches, so i think i'll be okay for a good loooooooong time.

Since you live right in my area and I am sure you are much more open minded in person, I'd be happy to show you the magic of pocket queries if you ever want to see what the fuss is all about. :D

Psst… bonecacher…

I risk facing serious consequences for revealing this, but regarding your original topic… I think you can change your forum title even if you’re not a paid member. It’s been mentioned in the forums before. Check out this topic, for example.

Try it and see what happens… keep in mind, I think you need to log out and then log back in after making a change like this.

…gotta go. I think they’re on to me…

Matt :D

Since you live right in my area and I am sure you are much more open minded in person, I'd be happy to show you the magic of pocket queries if you ever want to see what the fuss is all about. :P

....dang... you do!

crap!

well... just for the sake of staying stubborn...

aah, i got nothin. youve won the battle, but you havent won the war. :(

That one line is an option, some use it some don't.

Do you understand how MOCs work? :( They aren't top secret, you can locate them with normal searches, you just can't view the page (or log it). When you find one in a search it will have a black keyhole icon on the left side of the search page.

The Other thing you can get are the Pocket Queries. Specific searchs emailed to you :P. A lot of people like them because you can use them to quickly upload lots of information to your gps and/or pda, etc.

But ts your money, spend it how you want.

It boggles my mind why TPTB choose to belittle newbies by slapping the "Tadpole" label on them.

My advice is to post to the Testing thread till it changes to "Geocacher".

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't the forum software to default to NEWBIE? so they changed it something humorous?

Welch is correct. We didn't like "Newbies" in the forum software as it came out of the box. For a frog-themed website, being a "Tadpole" is a badge of honor.

But that opinion comes from someone who is flying clear across the country to visit his adopted frog in the Seattle zoo next week, so you may wish to take it with a rather large grain of sodium chloride.

That one line is an option, some use it some don't.

Do you understand how MOCs work? :( They aren't top secret, you can locate them with normal searches, you just can't view the page (or log it). When you find one in a search it will have a black keyhole icon on the left side of the search page.

The Other thing you can get are the Pocket Queries. Specific searchs emailed to you :P. A lot of people like them because you can use them to quickly upload lots of information to your gps and/or pda, etc.

But ts your money, spend it how you want.

you know, maybe it's high time i admited this... i dont even have a gps of my own. :P i just borrow a friend's gps... thats another reason i dont really even need the subscription... half the benefits wont even apply to me.

i guess first priority is getting the gps, then get the subscription... if i want it then. :D

you know, maybe it's high time i admited this... i dont even have a gps of my own. :P i just borrow a friend's gps... thats another reason i dont really even need the subscription... half the benefits wont even apply to me.

i guess first priority is getting the gps, then get the subscription... if i want it then. :D

Ok heres what you do...

Get your friend hooked onto geocaching. And invite yourself along to fetch him up... and culture their ego. Pretty soon they will either be taking you with them on mass caching sprees, or will need to upgrade to the newest gps of the week and then you can 'borrow' the spare for even longer periods!

(oh and to be on topic, I agree or disagree with OP, whichever side has the greater voice right now :( )

I just started geocaching recently, but I became a paid member to get the pocket queries. I love having all the information I need on my Sony Clie PDA when I go traipsing through the woods. That way I can always cheat a little and look at the encrypted hint if I get stuck on a particular cache.

Plus I like knowing I am helping to support the website. This is a lot of fun.

Bill :(

Ok heres what you do...

Get your friend hooked onto geocaching. And invite yourself along to fetch him up... and culture their ego. Pretty soon they will either be taking you with them on mass caching sprees, or will need to upgrade to the newest gps of the week and then you can 'borrow' the spare for even longer periods!

hm... almost... my friends got me started in geocaching. i have gone on cachehunts with them. i have asked to borrow the gps-es from them. (none have let me have them. dang.)

I think that the original question about the title underneath one's avatar has been adequately answered. If anyone would like to talk about the benefits of being a premium member, or how to get started on geocaching if you don't have a GPS, there are other topics for those subjects. Closing this one.