dave and jaime

i guess what i mean by assistance is for the more experienced persons to give me some guidence as to how to start this hobby/sport off on the right foot.

me and my wife are both avid outdoorpersons and think the concept is brilliant especially after watching the program on discovery network

as to how extreme of a location to eventually place a cache, my cabin is located in central newfoundland

in as a remote of an area as there is on the island.

is it good manners to place a cache where less than 1000 people visit per year?

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

Place a cache there and you may have 1001 visitors. icon_wink.gif Caches are placed in all sorts of remote locations. They don't get visited frequently, but when someone does it is usually a memorable experience.

I would suggest checking out these web pages.

About Geocaching

Geocaching FAQ

Markwell's Geocaching FAQ

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

Place a cache there and you may have 1001 visitors. icon_wink.gif Caches are placed in all sorts of remote locations. They don't get visited frequently, but when someone does it is usually a memorable experience.

I would suggest checking out these web pages.

About Geocaching

Geocaching FAQ

Markwell's Geocaching FAQ

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

thanks for all the help in both postings.

as to the gps purchase issue, i bought a mag 315 3 or 4 years ago and have used it frequently, if not needed for true navigation then simply taking it with me on routes i know for practice to keep familar with the unit. any suggestions as for other items to carry with you when you are on a hunt? my basic 'survival kit' contains the following items in a waist pouch:

gps and reference card, map of area, compass, pencil, protractor, matches, extra batteries, stop watch, band-aids, pocket multi tool, whistle, flagging tape.

for more extensive hikes etc. i add a: first aid kit, thermos of water, snacks, rain gear, rope, axe in a back pack.