Why Do This With A Tb? What Is The Point?

:( Being new to geocaching I just wondered if someone cold tell what the point of doing this with a TB is :(

The "this" in question is, a cacher collects a TB from a cache then takes it with them to aother cache but instead of leaving it they just log that they have dropped it off and picked it up again :wacko:

Any comments would be welcome what do other people think about this?

Surely this is not how TBs were supposed to operate, should there not be a rule against this?

IMHO I think that if you drop it off to should not be allowed to pick it up straight away, especially not from the same cache :D another cacher should have to handle the TB before it can be logged on the website again? :D

HI there! I think some people do this to show that the bug has travelled with them from cache to cache. It will keep the miles adding up without actually dropping it off. I know this can be annoying as I have had it happen to myself with one of my bugs. I was recieving about 5 log notes a day via email saying that it had been dropped then picked up straight away. In the end I was praying that the carriers at the time would just release it and give my inbox a break! I don't think any one would do it just to be annoying though and atleast it lets the TB owner know that the bug is in safe hands :(

Care to cite an example?

What you may have seen was someone logging a personal TB, ie. one they carry round with them from cache to cache.

Two such examples are this one and this one, one belonging to me, the other to my wife.

Personal TBs are quite common. Whether they are right or wrong is probably a discussion that could go on for eons.

People do all sorts of wierd things with TBs.

- Neil.

I have 2 TBs in my possession at the moment, that I've just done that with, I'm holding on to both of them as their goals are over in Eire (we're currently sorting a day trip over to drop them off) as I have had them for over a month I decided to give them both some activity. They both visited the cache, and I have a photo of them to prove it. Sometimes cachers do this if they can help the bug towards its goal.

Dave

We often do it, if dropping / picking up the TB again helps it in its goal why not ? - for instance if its goal was to visit 10 counties in the UK and we happen to be doing caches two counties (in a day or a weekend) we'd drop / pickup the bug in the caches

We had one of our TBs Runli looked after for a couple of weeks by two US cachers (TracksAll & Will Ketchum) , who dropped it off/ picked it in a load of caches - took a load of photos of it doing things with them and sent us regular pictures and stories - to be honest it was great to see some one take the time and effort to do this - we loved it and looked forward to the emails appearing in our inbox

here is one of the days out the out TB had

We kept the photos and added them all to our webpage

We also drop/pick a Personal TB in every cache to log just where we go in this big world of ours

As with all things - we had no problem it happening to our TB, some peeps may have an issue - horses for courses I guess...

You seem very passionate in your view about travel bugs MeIsMook.

The rules are fine as they are and provide for the subtle art of communication to be used. If a travel bug owner is not happy with what is happening with their bug they can convey this to the cacher concerned by email. If it requires a change to the travel bugs objective this can be done by the owner on the web page.

I regularly hunt down TBs to add to my ever growing list as having visited all the local caches I can keep active in my enjoyment of Geocaching by hunting down any TBs that come into the area! If it would be detrimental to the TB's objective to remove one from the cache I have just found it in I'll note the tracking number and leave it in the cache. I can then retrieve it and drop it straight back in when I log it on the web.

I currently have TB Monty Boxer in my possession which has a objective of accompanying the holder on their travels. This it is doing as I move around the country clocking up mileage by logging it straight in and out of the caches I visit. I will let it go eventually but if the owners feel I have had it long enough I'm sure they'll let me know either direct by email or by changing it's object on it's web page.

Please remember that Geocaching is for the enjoyment of all and the rules are deliberately kept as simple as possible, this creates variety. There will always be differences of opinion but where it directly effects you as a cacher it only requires a simple communication to resolve any issues.

Tolerance: putting up with people whose ways are different to one's own!

Communicate and enjoy!

You seem very passionate in your view about travel bugs MeIsMook.

Please remember that Geocaching is for the enjoyment of all and the rules are deliberately kept as simple as possible, this creates variety. There will always be differences of opinion but where it directly effects you as a cacher it only requires a simple communication to resolve any issues.

Tolerance: putting up with people whose ways are different to one's own!

Communicate and enjoy!

A little prickly about it aint we?

I ask a question and give an opinion..... but thats seems to mean I am not tolerant and deserve a lecture from you Pyoung1s.

Well welcome to Geocaching.....gee thanks. :(

Edited by MeIsMook

When we release a new TB we drop it into and retrieve it from a nearby cache to get it started on its way. We can't leave it in this cache as it is a micro, but it gets the mileage started almost from our front door. Right or wrong whose to say, each to there own I say, as long as a cacher is not being disruptive or spoiling others enjoyment does it really matter?

If I go out caching and find a TB in the first one and I dont find one suitible to leave it in I will log it in and out of each of the others I go to until I find a suitible place to leave it, I do this because the bug has actually visited each location and I would rather see a bug travelling than get stuck in a unsuitible location for its mission

Donnie

Hey Gang,

Does anyone feel similarly to MeIsMook? I tend to agree with those sentiments myself. I think the fun of a bug is leaving it somewhere for another cacher to find. Logging miles via a cache that it can't really go in or stay in seems... vacuous. Giving a bug a little local tour (e.g., Edinburgh) is cool--post pictures, write a log, sure! But miles for the sake of miles... I dunno. :( Doesn't that just make it "all about the numbers"? :(:D:D

(Edit: Elizabeth's opinion. not necessarily Simon's :wacko: )

Edited by The Wildleys
Hey Gang,

Does anyone feel similarly to MeIsMook? I tend to agree with those sentiments myself. I think the fun of a bug is leaving it somewhere for another cacher to find. Logging miles via a cache that it can't really go in or stay in seems... vacuous. Giving a bug a little local tour (e.g., Edinburgh) is cool--post pictures, write a log, sure! But miles for the sake of miles... I dunno. :( Doesn't that just make it "all about the numbers"? :wacko::(:D

In an attempt to nip this in the bud...

Been there done that!! (meant in the nicest possible way, of course)

I think the general sentiment is and should remain, that you are free to play the game in the manner which you see fit.

Its like cadbury's cream eggs!! We all eat them differently.

Its like cadbury's cream eggs!! We all eat them differently.

Okay. My next TB shall be a Cadbury's creme egg, and finders can do with it as they see fit. :(

Yes yes, to each his own, no harm done; but it seems MeIsMook and I would be alone in our perspectives. So... remaining curious.

Elizabeth (feeling like she's started a fight :(:wacko: )

No, you haven't started a fight.

I am just a bit sick of this numbers cachers/non-numbers cachers divide.

Why are we trying to always but something in a box.

We are active in this sport because we enjoy it. Lets leave it at that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as you do actually have the TB with you while you are travelling.

I've seen a few US threads discussing the situation when people go to a meet and write down the numbers of all the TBs they have seen (not taken). They then log them in and out of the meet, as if they have actually had them. This is all to get their own TB found numbers up.

Now that is daft, and must frustrate the owners of the TB, as they are not even getting any mileage added on, but will be getting their inbox filled with sightings. I hope it never gets like that over here.

Tigger

I'm about to drop off my first bug with the intention of having it visit as many caches as possible. So if some one moves it from cache to cache as they go, during the day, then providing they leave it in the last cache of the day that's OK with me. So long as they log eacg visit and don't take it home with them. :(

No, you haven't started a fight.

I am just a bit sick of this numbers cachers/non-numbers cachers divide.

Why are we trying to always but something in a box.

We are active in this sport because we enjoy it. Lets leave it at that.

here here!!

As for the TB issues, my take:

Some TBs have the objective to visit as many caches as possible, so I log them in all caches they accompany me to

Some TBs just want to go to specific places, I move them in that direction and log them where I leave them

Some TBs have no goal, I leave them in a random cache and log them there

My personal TB goes everywhere, as I have no other way of tracking the milage and order of the caches I do. My Personal TB is virtuall dropped & grabbed at one of my caches 200 yards from my house at the end of every cache trip.

I leave it up too the bug owner to make the rules for their bug, also, some send a note with the bug with those rules, some don't.

I had a bug for some time. It traveled with me as I looked for caches. All I ever found were micro's. The bug didn't fit. The owner requested that I log it and keep it's travels accurate. Finally I made a TB hotel just to have a place to put them if they are seeing to many micro's to be placed in a reasonable amount of time.

Before everyone starts getting all excited again...... :D Just a another point...(I will put my tin helmet on now) :D

If a TB will not fit in a Cache, how can it be logged as being dropped off?

It hasn't been dropped off, it can't be dropped off it doesn't fit :D

If you consider 'dropped off' to actually mean 'visited' then anything is possible :-)

Why shouldn't a TB be allowed to say it's done all the Hyde Park caches just because they are all micros?

As has been said before, there are a million and one ways to geocache, each unto their own.

- Neil.