Cool Idea - Search By Proximity

Hi... although rather new to geocaching I'd like to make a suggestion for improvement to www.geocaching.com.

I noticed when I signed on that I provided my Postal Code ... I can't remember whether the submit form stated this as mandatory or not...

I'd like to have a "Cachers Bache" in my area and would like to determine how much interest there is within 120 km of a proposed gathering site... I'd like to invite all cachers (registered with www.geocaching.com ) within a 120km range to comment and discuss the idea... However, I have no way of getting a member list of members within a certain distance of a "point on the map". This, I think, would be quite useful... the postal codes, coordinates or whatever of each geocacher in that circle wouldn't need to be made public... just a list of their Login IDs and email links would be great... I think that this would be useful to a lot of people without violating your privacy policies...

Whaddya think? Please comment...

DrDumbAss

"... he da man... if he can find it... anyone can!"

I thought of the same thing a while back before one of our events. My only alternative was to go through local caches and send emails to anyone that I wasn't sure if they were on our local geocachers email group. It was a pain in the butt to do. But I really like the idea of having a simpler way of getting ahold of members that don't know our email group exists.

If you post an event cache page, it will show up in the weekly notification e-mails for new caches, every week, until the event occurs. Everyone within 100 miles of the event will hear about it that way. Use your event cache page as a temporary planning site. Fill in the details for the event based on what people post on the page or in e-mails to you. The next step would be to form a local geocaching group with a website, mailing list or some other way to communicate.

The next step would be to form a local geocaching group with a website, mailing list or some other way to communicate.

There are many of us that have done just that. The Alabama Geocachers Association came to be from an event cache hosted last Novemeber by joefrog, Bubba Cache and Pudman.

After attending the event, I knew there was a need and set-up a simple web site, which has blossomed to what we have today http://alacache.com and the Alabama Geocachers Association

If you need any advice or suggestions, please feel free to email me should you decide to start a local group and I would be more than happy to help you. The GGA (Georgia Geocachers Assn) also has a nice web page about starting a group. Happy geocaching!

If you post an event cache page, it will show up in the weekly notification e-mails for new caches, every week, until the event occurs. Everyone within 100 miles of the event will hear about it that way. Use your event cache page as a temporary planning site. Fill in the details for the event based on what people post on the page or in e-mails to you.

That is what I did with my event cache for this Sunday.

I posted the event and left the date and location subject to change. As input from the locals came in we were able to settle on a date and place. I plan on having a sign up for an email list at the event as well.

Events are a great way to meet each other and put a face behind the log entry.