Appropriate Swag?

Geo Scouts

3. Business Cards

4. Pictures (specifically personal)

Tend to get pretty tatty very fast in a cache.

2. Computer Memory

Probably won't survive long and if you are willing to part with it it probably isn't worth anything to anybody else either.

5. Business Promo Items

I have found/left some pretty nice items. Stuff I liked; super ball with led's that light when you bounce it, small first aid kit, carabieners, AA flashlights. Stuff I hate refer magnets, cupons, cheap pens.

A good rule of thumb is to put yourself in the finders point of view, what do you like to find? After you have found a few caches you will get a better feel. I like signature items, usually homemade artsy/craftsy stuff. I'll almost always trad for something like that.

Edited by rusty_tlc
What would you think about those little keychain laser pointers? They are cool gadgets, not too expensive, and great for annoying pets (they love chasing the little spot). But they have a scary warning label on them. (sorry, no picture of the warning label)

Any thoughts on this as a trade item?

I dont see any problem with a keychain laser pointer. Everything has a warning label on it, including McToys. I think it would be pretty cool to find one of those in a cache.

What would you think about those little keychain laser pointers?  They are cool gadgets, not too expensive, and great for annoying pets (they love chasing the little spot).  But they have a scary warning label on them.  (sorry, no picture of the warning label)

I've seen a handful of them in caches, and only once have I come away with one in my bag (it was a fierce battle with Fergus, but fortune smiled upon me and I evetually won the day).

Laser pointers are very cool, have many uses, and aren't nearly as dangerous as the labels make them sound - the manufacturers just have to label them as hazards to prevent people from suing them. The vast majority of the pointers that are inexpensive enough to be found as swag will only cause eye damage of you're determined enough to sit and stare into the beam for a while.

Edited by Seamus
<snip> Stuff I hate refer magnets, cupons, cheap pens.

A good rule of thumb is to put yourself in the finders point of view, what do you like to find? After you have found a few caches you will get a better feel. I like signature items, usually homemade artsy/craftsy stuff. I'll almost always trad for something like that.

I thought 'refer" was against federal law anyway. :D

What would you think about those little keychain laser pointers?  They are cool gadgets, not too expensive, and great for annoying pets (they love chasing the little spot).  But they have a scary warning label on them.  (sorry, no picture of the warning label)

I've seen a handful of them in caches, and only once have I come away with one in my bag (it was a fierce battle with Fergus, but fortune smiled upon me and I evetually won the day).

Laser pointers are very cool, have many uses, and aren't nearly as dangerous as the labels make them sound - the manufacturers just have to label them as hazards to prevent people from suing them. The vast majority of the pointers that are inexpensive enough to be found as swag will only cause eye damage of you're determined enough to sit and stare into the beam for a while.

I can personally attest to the hazards of the laser pointers.

I free-lance on the PA for a variety of gigs at county fairs and racetracks around Indiana. When the first few lasers hit the streets they were often fairly powerful items and VERY popular among the teeny-bopper set.

While calling a race I happened to glance across the track and was hit in the eye by someone's pointer. They had been trying all evening to hit people and got me good. The flash felt like a punch in the socket and all but dropped me in my tracks. I had major spots in my right eye for a day or two afterwards.

The newer, dollar store versions are a lot less pwerful, thankfully.

I free-lance on the PA for a variety of gigs at county fairs and racetracks around Indiana. When the first few lasers hit the streets they were often fairly powerful items and VERY popular among the teeny-bopper set.

While calling a race I happened to glance across the track and was hit in the eye by someone's pointer. They had been trying all evening to hit people and got me good. The flash felt like a punch in the socket and all but dropped me in my tracks. I had major spots in my right eye for a day or two afterwards.

These are also illegal to possess in some areas and buildings. Our Police Chief unsuccessfully tried to make them illegal here when I was on the city council a few years back. He made a good argument, but it wasn't meant for a small town. Other cities in the area have banned them from public areas. His argument was that they can be mistaken for laser sights on a gun in a riot or other large disturbance, and there have been instances of people getting shot by police because the cop thought it was a laser sight on a handgun. But, in a town of 900 people, we just don't have riots.....haven't had a shooting since the early '70s, either.

BTW, my cats love them, and I'd love to find one in a cache!

Knives in caches=bad

Software in caches=bad

Business cards in caches=bad and lame

Computer hardware in caches=probably bad

Personal Pictures in caches=Why would I want a picture of someone else? Unless they were <family friendly> and <family friendly>

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Admittedly, there are a number of them out there being marketed as "ultra powerful" and "high output" devices (ostensibly used for presentations in large auditoriums and bright-light situations), and these are indeed popular with the hoodlum set who enjoy flashing people in the face with them, and like causing others pain and discomfort. These are generally a lot more expensive than anything you'd find in a cache though. As you point out, the dollar-store versions are indeed a lot less powerful, and much less likely to cause problems.

I'd still like to find more cool stuff like this in caches, rather than yet another keychain from Bob's Towing or half of a happy meal toy. I usually can't help but to trade up when I find a cache anymore.

I'm wondering what items are appropriate for swag? Here are some items I've been thinking about.

1. Pocket Knives

2. Computer Memory

3. Business Cards

5. Business Promo Items

Thanks for the help.

1. Pocket Knives - I happen to think it's a cool idea but some feel they're a hazard. Hmmmfff. Maybe the small penknives with the little 2" blade and the nail file

2. Computer Memory - I have no idea how you'd package that. I'm assuming you mean some manner of hardware?

3. Business Cards - yawn... Why?

4. Pictures (specifically personal) - see above

5. Business Promo Items - Great, cheap source of items that might otherwise be too expensive. I LOVE when I get logo'ed stuff specific to the area or town I'm caching in. I still carry the penknife from the Niles, Michigan Barber Shop that I found in a Niles, Michigan cache. I also get a kick out of leaving items from MY area when I'm doing caches FAR out of town. For example, I left some Brickyard 400 items in some caches around Lincoln, Nebraska.

There are those that feel lighters and matches are inappropriate but I know of several campers that have appreciated finding them.

Whatever you leave try to drop off something you would be tickled to find Do you REALLY enjoy finding old golfballs and single army men? Leftover Valentine's Day buttons?

These are also illegal to possess in some areas and buildings. Our Police Chief unsuccessfully tried to make them illegal here when I was on the city council a few years back. He made a good argument, but it wasn't meant for a small town. Other cities in the area have banned them from public areas. His argument was that they can be mistaken for laser sights on a gun in a riot or other large disturbance, and there have been instances of people getting shot by police because the cop thought it was a laser sight on a handgun. But, in a town of 900 people, we just don't have riots.....haven't had a shooting since the early '70s, either.

BTW, my cats love them, and I'd love to find one in a cache!

Knives in caches=bad

Software in caches=bad

Business cards in caches=bad and lame

Personal Pictures in caches=Why would I want a picture of someone else? Unless they were <family friendly> and <family friendly>

Um, what's wrong with computer software?

I'm wondering what items are appropriate for swag?  Here are some items I've been thinking about.

1. Pocket Knives

2. Computer Memory

3. Business Cards

5. Business Promo Items

Thanks for the help.

1. Pocket Knives - I happen to think it's a cool idea but some feel they're a hazard. Hmmmfff. Maybe the small penknives with the little 2" blade and the nail file

2. Computer Memory - I have no idea how you'd package that. I'm assuming you mean some manner of hardware?

3. Business Cards - yawn... Why?

4. Pictures (specifically personal) - see above

5. Business Promo Items - Great, cheap source of items that might otherwise be too expensive. I LOVE when I get logo'ed stuff specific to the area or town I'm caching in. I still carry the penknife from the Niles, Michigan Barber Shop that I found in a Niles, Michigan cache. I also get a kick out of leaving items from MY area when I'm doing caches FAR out of town. For example, I left some Brickyard 400 items in some caches around Lincoln, Nebraska.

There are those that feel lighters and matches are inappropriate but I know of several campers that have appreciated finding them.

Whatever you leave try to drop off something you would be tickled to find Do you REALLY enjoy finding old golfballs and single army men? Leftover Valentine's Day buttons?

Good idea on the area specific items. We have some ATA coasters advertising Indianapolis that we should take on vacation sometime.

Um, what's wrong with computer software?

I think some people myself included would not feel comfortable sticking anything in thier computer if they did not know where it came from. :unsure:

Yup....Like my momma always said: "Don't put that in there!! You don't know where it's been!"

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I, too, love to find logo'd stuff from business promos in caches. I've gotten some really cool stuff like that. My wife is in the insurance business, and she frequently brings home stuff like that, too, so I've left it as swag. People seem to like it, because from reading the logs, the next couple visits and it's gone!

Lately most of our caching has been done in the woods, and the mosquitoes and other bugs are sometimes just overwhelming. So we've taken to using those green mesh mosquito head-nets when the bugs are bad, and they really work well. They certainly can keep a pleasant experience from turning into a frustrating one. So, we've started using them as trade items in woods caches, and they usually get picked up almost right away. (They're $1.47 at walmart.)

In winter, we'll probably leave handwarmers instead of the mosquito nets. And all year round, those cool geocaching buttons from bumblebuttons.com.

Lately most of our caching has been done in the woods, and the mosquitoes and other bugs are sometimes just overwhelming. So we've taken to using those green mesh mosquito head-nets when the bugs are bad, and they really work well. They certainly can keep a pleasant experience from turning into a frustrating one. So, we've started using them as trade items in woods caches, and they usually get picked up almost right away. (They're $1.47 at walmart.)

In winter, we'll probably leave handwarmers instead of the mosquito nets. And all year round, those cool geocaching buttons from bumblebuttons.com.

I left those as swag in two of my caches, including the one mentioned in my post above. I hid the caches in winter, but I knew the area well enough to know that it's a mosquito breeding ground, so that's why I left them. Hmmm....I'll have to check the logs again to see if anyone picked them up.....the last few that found the caches have complained a lot about the skeeters! :unsure:

Software in caches=bad

I don't get these two. Why are they bad? If someone left me some useful software, I'd be very happy to take it.

Software because of the chance of viri. Yes, you should be running an AV program to catch it, but there are still a lot of people out there that don't.

Hardware because of the high probability that it isn't any good anymore, or wasn't properly packaged before being placed.

I don't want to put anything into my computer that may possibly damage it, or that probably won't work anyway. Too much time and effort involved. If there's software that I want, I'll buy it. If there's hardware that I want, I'll buy that too. Of course, those are just my personal opinions, as asked for by the OP. If others want that sort of thing, fine. Just not me. :unsure:

EDIT: How would you know it's useful before you take it? I wouldn't, because I don't have a laptop to take caching with me, so I can't try it before I take it.

Edited by Sparky-Watts