Placing in a public place...

DjBside

Has anyone ever placed a cache in a public place? Like maybe in a library, or a bus station, or some place like that? Give coord's to the address of the place, and then the encrypt hint is where inside the building that the cache is placed.

If anyone has, or knows of someone who has placed a cache like this... Id really like to hear about it. I want to place one inside a buidling.

icon_razz.gif

It can be a great idea, if done right and with permission. If I remember right, there is a cache somewhere hidden in a fake book in a libray. Sounds like fun.

This cache is sort of in a building, and in one of the most crowded places on earth, and was one of the most fun caches I've ever logged! icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Down around the Klamath Falls, Oregon area there are (or were) a couple that were inside Mom-n-Pop diner/stores. They were more like "go inside and ask for the cache (not cash!)" type.

I can get you the waypoints if you're interested.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=54115 is placed in a public place w/o permission. It's hiding in plain sight!

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

That one is fine by me, Crininal. I was thinking more along the lines of one placed inside a building, like the original poster suggested. I think a container hidden inside a public building without permission is probably asking for trouble.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Only in a few months of caching, I've come across two (really good) caches that had aspects of either clues or the actual cache hidden inside very public buildings (and I'm not talking about virtuals - these were conventional caches).

I'm not giving anything away - except to say that both clearly wouldn't have represented a potential threat to anyone who happened across them and both gave me a real smile when I found them!

'Hidden in plain sight' is a powerful technique if used right (and neither of the two caches i'm thinking of will likely get plundered since they blend so well with their environments)! icon_smile.gif

That said, I don't think leaving a camouflaged ammo can in a bus depot would be a good idea. icon_wink.gif The two caches I'm thinking about very clearly represented no threat and I would suspect if they were found by the building management - would have just gotten a puzzled laugh.

quote:
Has anyone ever placed a cache in a public place? Like maybe in a library, or a bus station, or some place like that? Give coord's to the address of the place, and then the encrypt hint is where inside the building that the cache is placed.

There's an indore cache in Rome NY which is unquestionably my favorite urban cache and sounds just like what you are talking about.

This fall I found a cache in a museum. It was placed with the curators permission, and in fact you could not find it without the receptionists assistance. The clue stated that you needed to talk to the person at the desk. After some awkward silence we explained why we were there and she pulled the geocache (in a 50 call ammo can) out from under her desk. icon_redface.gif

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!