Newbie Question 3: WAAS

Guest Growley

Guest Growley

The Garmin Legend I just bought is equipped with WAAS. I have enabled this feature however, how do I know when I am receiving WAAS? I have noticed on the sat. window that I will have a letter "D" appear on signal strength bars. Is this WAAS or something different?

Guest sivad

I also was woundering about this. I have a Garmin Venture and I have it enabled. WAAS that is. How do you know it is working?

------------------

"All that wander are not lost...for they have GPS in hand..

Guest Elwood

on my etrex vista, when waas is enabled my satelite page shows the waas satelites as numbers 35 and 47 and when you get a lock on one or the other of those satelites then you are recieving the waas corrections signal.not the bible, just my interpretation from what i have read.

Elwood

Guest Mike_Teague

receive one, you've got instant-auto-magic DGPS type service (1-2 meters?)..

If you cant, you've got the typical GPS service... (the "regular" accuracy most of us are using) 10 meters or so.

(I do not have a WAAS enabled GPSR yet, personally, so I could just as well be talking out of my ***!)

Guest Elwood

Also the first time you try to use the waas system it can take 20 minutes or longer to get a lock on the waas birds, so be patient. i had to sit in one place with a clean view of the southern sky for 30 minutes before i finally got my first waas lock.

but after you get the first lock it gets much faster for re-aquisition, but still longer than regular gps birds, 2 or 3 minutes at times. fyi

[This message has been edited by Elwood (edited 21 July 2001).]