Am I Losing My Touch?

In my last 7 outings, I've failed to find at least one of the caches I was looking for that day. Since March, I've only had 5 "perfect" days, although I only found 7 caches in those 5 days with no DNF's.

Is this normal?

What am I doing wrong?

The only thing I can think of is my new Legend isn't as accurate as my old Venture, even though it's a better model. I had a streak of 49 finds followed by a streak of 21 finds with my Venture just before receiving the Legend in February. Now I can't seem to go out caching without not finding a cache.

Is it time for a new GPS? Is my Legend defective? Am I washed up as a cacher?

Maybe I'm just not as willing to "get caught" looking for a cache. I don't want any cache to go missing after I've logged it.

Help!

In my last 7 outings, I've failed to find at least one of the caches I was looking for that day. Since March, I've only had 5 "perfect" days, although I only found 7 caches in those 5 days with no DNF's.

Is this normal?

What am I doing wrong?

The only thing I can think of is my new Legend isn't as accurate as my old Venture, even though it's a better model. I had a streak of 49 finds followed by a streak of 21 finds with my Venture just before receiving the Legend in February. Now I can't seem to go out caching without not finding a cache.

Maybe I'm just not as willing to "get caught" looking for a cache. I don't want any cache to go missing after I've logged it.

Help!

thats not bad, I went out about two weeks ago an came up 0 for 5

Then I found a few and last Sunday I loaded up some caches before heading out for the day, of the five on my list and had already four four of them, Thats what I get for not updating my PQs. Called it an early day and sat in the swimming pool for the rest of the day. At least we found some on Monday.

he only thing I can think of is my new Legend isn't as accurate as my old Venture, even though it's a better model. I had a streak of 49 finds followed by a streak of 21 finds with my Venture just before receiving the Legend in February. Now I can't seem to go out caching without not finding a cache.

It's the cost of gas. You don't find as many caches/gallon anymore. :P

Take the silly eTrex and tie it to the end of a 50 foot string, and get it spinning real fast, then whack a building with it, then go out and get a GPS 60C. Your current mapping should work with it, and you can get the autorouting stuff later.

EDIT: Actually the eTrex is a good backup GPS that you can keep in your backpack.

Edited by GOT GPS?

It's not the GPS... it's luck/intuition, though caching intuition can work against you.

I can go to a cache that hasn't been found in months with multiple DNFs logged and walk right up and find it. Eg: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...26-94380104c613

I can then be the 1st person to log a DNF on an easier cache that is found by someone else the next day. Eg: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6e-ab29d5542e4b

Typically, the DNF is because I'm focusing on the wrong area and more often then not it's based on past experience specifically with the individual that hid the cache I'm going after.

Funny thing is, I was looking at the new eXplorist series from Magellan. The high-end model is blue :P

Too bad that Magellan decided that the eXplorist series didn't need to talk to computers. The Blue was nice, and I was thinking of checking it out, but not without some kind of interface. I'm not going back to hand entering coords. :P

--Marky

Funny thing is, I was looking at the new eXplorist series from Magellan. The high-end model is blue :P

Too bad that Magellan decided that the eXplorist series didn't need to talk to computers. The Blue was nice, and I was thinking of checking it out, but not without some kind of interface. I'm not going back to hand entering coords. :P

--Marky

I hadn't noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out. I sent an email to them to make sure. They'll really be missing out on the geocaching market if they expect us to enter 500 waypoints manually.

I may be biased because I totally dig that blue vibe you've got goin' on, but I don't think the problem is you. You're as Smurfy as ever - it must be the rest of the caching world going awry! :(

Treat it like a video game and blame it on the controller!

Maybe Smurf boy's ummmm, equipment IS on the fritz.

SNOOGAV.jpg