Www.handicaching.com

A website dedicated to improving the accessibility of Geocaching to those of us who are less physically able is now available.

http://www.handicaching.com

The basic idea is that you rate caches you own and have visited and handicapped users then use these ratings to see if that can attempt that cache. The rating consists of five simple choices and you are done. You can also rate for the usual difficulty and terrain. When more than one person rates a cache, the average ratings are shown.

The site contains a full description of what it is about and why it exists, so if you have a few minutes, please take a look.

Groover

That's a cool idea. I'll rate a few of mine. However, there's a local cacher who "blows the curve" for handicapped people. He's a one-legged guy who has made a pretty tough THREE MILE roundtrip hike to get one of mine. Now, there are very few he hasn't found around town! Some of them *I* haven't even found yet!

some of us just do it. sometimes we pay later - some times we pay for it immediately - sometimes it is worth it - some of us need the excersise anyway - some are unable to do any that are not in the city close to concrete - but some caches really are impossible for anyone in a wheelchair. I have only planted two caches and I have to say that they are not for anyone in a wheel chair either - they could get to the sites but not the caches as they are off the trail. Even being only a few feet off the main trail makes them impossible for anyone in a chair. Up or down any bank at all makes them hard for others who can't do much climbing.

One of the caches I found was in a beautiful park - but it was under some stairs. I had to get down on my knees and look under - go to the other side and reach under and grab it. Not something someone in a chair could do. Now I have my wife with me and she is a big help in digging and rooting around - got under a bridge for one - she got the find for that one! If a chair bound person is lucky enough to have someone along then maybe most but the worst climbs and skinny trails could be gotten to. Most of mine are and will be along a nice wide hard packed trail - helpful but not accessable. This is really a hard thing to deal with for me - I am very aware of accessability but with all the mugglers you can't just leave it laying in the open.

You've got my support and I messaged all members of Wisconsin Geocaching Association to check it out and consider using it. While I don't expect all caches to be easy access, those that are fitting for people with limit mobility is a noble cause. Sometimes a * for terain is very misleading, so further identification of caches we can attempt is great! I recently had major foot surgery and my hiking is severely limited, as in one block at a time! Doctor's orders. Any half star caches out there??

Hello!

First of all, this is great! I'm going to add some accessible caches to this site soon! I work with adults with disabilities and we have actually peaked their interest in Geocaching!

Second, I would like to mention some modern verbage...it is always the person first...

a person who uses a wheelchair instead of a wheelchair user,

person with a visual impairment instead of a blind person,

person with a disability instead of a disabled person, etc.

You get the idea.

Now, the word handicap is still used. A can high up on a shelf out of reach of a person using a wheelchair is handicap to that person. Whereas having paraplegia is a disability.

I hope this is helpful. Little by little the language is changing. It took me a year to break myself from saying disabled and I still cringe when my Old School Dad occasionally says the word crippled. I hope this is not viewed as a flame in anyway, it is not meant to be...I HATE flames!

Thanks for listening and for posting about the accessible caches! Our clients have enjoyed the few they have found. They are really enjoying reading the logs of the people who find the cache they hid in a park we often frequent!

Happy Caching! :(

Geocaching Today online magazine has published an article about the Handicaching web site. You can read it here:

http://www.geocachingtoday.com/MagArchives/handicache1.htm

It describes the problems people face and why the site was created.

Also, Lynn has written an article on her handicap geocaching experiences, which you can read on the Handicaching web site at:

http://www.handicaching.com/articles.php

Groover

We still need help on getting the guide published. If everyone took one chapter and gave it their best shot it would go a long ways to getting the guide out there into the world where it can do some good.

The guide is discussed in the forums there.

Can we have a little more information on 'the guide' and how you are publishing it?

thanks -

The guide will have two main parts. How to go caching when you have physical limitations, and how to plan and hide caches suitable for people with physical limitations.

It will be published online in various places as a PDF, free for everyone to download and use.

On the handicaching.com forums there is a complete outline of the chapters.

Groover

We still need help on getting the guide published. If everyone took one chapter and gave it their best shot it would go a long ways to getting the guide out there into the world where it can do some good.

I would love to help out any way that I can. I would also like to point out the change in terminology that suzy pointed out, looking at the person first then the disability. It is just words but words can hurt or be friendly. Thanks for letting me put in my two cents worth.

We still need help on getting the guide published.  If everyone took one chapter and gave it their best shot it would go a long ways to getting the guide out there into the world where it can do some good.

I would love to help out any way that I can.  I would also like to point out the change in terminology that suzy pointed out, looking at the person first then the disability.  It is just words but words can hurt or be friendly.  Thanks for letting me put in my two cents worth. 

I would like to put out a personal challenge here. Many of you have stated that this is a great site and how worthwhile it is. I challenge you to put your time and effort where your mouth is.

Obviously those of you who already have or are doing so can ignore this challenge. You all know who you are. This is not meant as a brag on my part. I asked a couple questions and RK did a lot of answering and a little poking and I have a really good start on Section 3 of the guide. I am working on using the web site and rating the caches. I believe I have over 20 pages written on that section now. Still have a way to go.

But as RK said they (can I say we?) still need a lot of help with this project. No one person can do it all.

Kimmy this is not to single you out - but a lot of people say they will help how then can - and rather expect the particular P'sTB to hand out assignments. It really doesn't work like that. We have to offer what we know and can and run with that.

So come on folks - there are some 20 posts - a couple are mine - so to be generous there are a good 15 different people here - let's get RK on a PM or e-mail and tell him what you are able to do and how much time you can offer to the project.

Now - I will get off my soapbox and let y'all get back to what you were doing before I started hammering on your 'ear'.

RK - a little suggestion of sorts - you might have to do some organizing here if I got some of these good people stirred up enough such that you put some of us together as necessary to get certain things done.

Edited by CompuCash

RK and Admin at handicaching -

a suggestion - how about a special forum (or section thereof (pinned?)) for this topic - I think it migh be usefull to have a 'clearing house' for people to offer their abilities and time and/o you guys can give a list of things needed such that people can take a task.

At the present time I think no one really knows who is doing what and who needs what done.

sound like a plan?

... how about a special forum (or section thereof (pinned?)) for this topic - I think it migh be usefull to have a 'clearing house' for people to offer their abilities and time and/o you guys can give a list of things needed such that people can take a task....

Fair enough. I'll let Team Spike know.

thanks -

glad you agreed - I guess I had a brain fart and had a good idea - happens now and then-

:D:huh::mad:

YES!!!!

let's get in there and get this project off the ground -

I just posted the first and second notes on that forum -

will be helpful when they get a list of jobs up there we can volunteer for?

===================

Why am I whipping this horse -

a) I was the one who suggested this forum for volunteers and jobs

:o I have already submitted a 25 page chapter for the manual

- - On Using the Rating System

not bragging - just trying to stop any flame wars out there -

:o:blink::P:lol::)

I visited the website last week and tested the tools. The rating system works using a set of pulldown menus, so it's relatively easy to rate a cache along with space for additional comments. There are links to windows with html already written for inserting the Handicap Geocaching emblems on one's cache page. There are also instructions for how to insert a link to the website from your cache page to the website so people can look at the details of your rating.

I rated Plugged Near the Bike Path and it took me only five minutes to rate the cache and edit the cache page with the new information complete with links. I then rated Black & White & Red All Over and it took about three minutes since I was able to block copy the html from my first rated cache into this cache page and only had to change the waypoint since the rating worked out to be the same.

Give it a try!!!

Fantastic idea!

I am not in a chair but have worked with people with disabilities before. When I designed my latest cache, I really wanted it to be wheelchair accessible. I think I managed all except the cache retrieval itself. Note, the person using the wheelchair can find the cache, they just can't retrieve it.

See 80 Feet of Waterline, Nicely Making Way which is on the MIT campus outside of Boston. Sadly, snow can be a problem at this site.

Paul

Bumping this for the first time in over a year for the benefit of new members.

Come and rate caches for others! Help to make geocaching more accessible! Currently we have over 2,500 caches rated but we need more. I recently downloaded 500 caches for Maine and checked to see if any were rated on handicaching.com - nope, not a single one.

thanks, Groover

Come and rate caches for others! Help to make geocaching more accessible! Currently we have over 2,500 caches rated but we need more. I recently downloaded 500 caches for Maine and checked to see if any were rated on handicaching.com - nope, not a single one.

thanks, Groover

Team Spike, thanks for bumping this thread. I wasn't aware of www.handicaching.com before. Over Christmas, my father who is essentially wheelchair bound was really interested in caching. I'll definately send him the link to this site. Additionally, I'll be rating any/all of my cache hides and marking them with the handicaching logo and link.

thanks, Groover

Team Spike, thanks for bumping this thread. I wasn't aware of www.handicaching.com before. Over Christmas, my father who is essentially wheelchair bound was really interested in caching. I'll definately send him the link to this site. Additionally, I'll be rating any/all of my cache hides and marking them with the handicaching logo and link.

Don't limit yourself to rating your cache hides. I hate to admit, but I had forgotten about handicaching.com, but a year or so ago I went in and tried to rate all of my finds as well. Since I can still remember virtually every one of my finds, I'm going to go back in and do the rest of them.

thanks, Groover

Don't limit yourself to rating your cache hides. I hate to admit, but I had forgotten about handicaching.com, but a year or so ago I went in and tried to rate all of my finds as well. Since I can still remember virtually every one of my finds, I'm going to go back in and do the rest of them.

Ah... I didn't realize we could do that. I don't have time at the moment (@#$*^&$ Work and stuff always getting in the way of things) but I'll start working on that.

It's been three years since we started the service and as I write this we are up to 2982 cache ratings for 2720 caches! So far the reponse has been great, but we hope to increase the rate at which caches are being rated.

So, if you've visited a cache and you see it isn't rated on handicaching.com, please take a couple of minutes to enter a rating. The comments section is optional, so it's just a matter of choosing from a handful of drop down lists. No typing except for the waypoint. Easy peasy! :blink:

Andy