From Nashville To Ocoee

Hi all I am going to be making my yearly trip up to the Ocoee area from Nashville to go rafting next month. I have just gotten into cashing this year and I am looking for advice on how to plan a road trip to include cashing. I know the rout I will take I-24 east most of the way then up I-75 north, and I was wondering if there is a better way to find cashes for the trip than just using the map/locate and slowly scrolling west. We will probably only want fairly easy cashes close to the interstate so we don’t get lost and end up setting up the tent in the dark (no good ever comes of that ;-) )

Edited by firewiredv

If you are a premium member, you can run a pocket query with lat/long centered at the midpoint of your route and have an adequate search radius that will allow it to reach to Nashville on one end and the Ocoee on the other. If the number of caches returned exceeds the limit (which might happen since you're in Nashville), you could run several queries that overlap each other. Import these into GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, if you don't have it you can get it here. GSAK will allow you to do an arc filter of a much smaller radius along your route, say 1 or 2 miles from the interstate, and also allow you to filter out the results by cache container and difficulty. While I haven't actually done it before, a good resource might be the plethora of posts in the GPS Software section of the Forums under GSAK. While I might have not totally answered your question, I hope I sent you in the right direction. There might be an easier way though that I'm not aware of.

Buxley's Waypoint

I have found this to be very useful! The caches are red dots on the map, and the interstate is outlined as a purple line. I have tracked caches on this site and got the luck of finding caches at the Alabama Welcome Center, the Texas Welcome Center, numerous rest stops, and easy off/easy on caches along the way. The site will open up to caches in the Chattanooga area, but you can use the arrows to point in the area that you want to view. (You will see what I'm talking about when you see it.)

Have Fun!!! :P:o