Caches Along The Sht

Walkin' Ed

I'm planning a through hike of the Superior Hiking Trail and would like to find some caches while I'm here. So far I have the following caches which may (or may not) be on the trail:

Mother's Trinkets

Gene-O's Landing

Superior, superior, superior

N of wolf & S of mike's rock

Blue Diamond Rest Stop

Lava Ridge Rest Stop

Blesner Creek

Little Corridor at 420

Room with a View

Are there others nearby which I missed? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm sorry to jump in this forum topic, but it's driving me crazy that a guy (mtn-man) in GA is responsible for approving caches in NE MN. Every time I place a cache he jacks me around for a couple of weeks. He approved a few of my caches last fall/winter, but I placed 3 out at the end of May and he finally told me today that he will not approve them. We must have someone in MN or WI that would be better to approve caches than someone who has no connection to this area. Again, I'm sorry to vent in your forum, but Carlton County could use some new caches.

One huge problem with NE MN is there is a lot of space there where caches are banned. Local cachers know this.

Of course, there are two sides to any story.

Yes, I have approved caches of yours up there lppd814. You live over 300 miles and 2 states away from the new ones you listed. What made me not approve any additional caches there was this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c7-800a0e42b965

This cache shows clearly that you cannot maintain caches that are far away from you. I archived two of the caches outright and then put one on hold after you emailed me. The cache linked above had problems yet you placed three more caches without attempting to fix that one. It sat and sat. So did the one cache on hold. After you went around my back and emailed another reviewer for another state (not even the one in the state you live in) trying to get them to approve your caches, I archived the last submission that was on hold. I stated in that archive note the reasons above, and you have archived the cache I linked above today. For all we know, the cache is still there but is unfound because of overgrowth (as the logs state). Since you are not willing to maintain the cache, who knows? If you do go back and check the cache, please remove the three caches that were not approved. In due time people that live there will place caches there. There are already 8 caches within 15 miles of the one above and some of them are yours (which were reviewed by me).

If you actually lived in MN, then your opinion on the reviewer might have more impact I guess. If MN cachers are unhappy with the volunteer work I do for them, they are happy to report my work to Hydee. There are reasons why I review caches for MN, none of which are going to be addressed in the forums.

Yes, they really call the trail "the SHT", and it really is--sometime soon, I hope to string together 3 or 4 weeks when I don't have any other responsibilities and thru-hike it myself--the best I've done so far is three of four sections over Labor Day weekend a few years ago. Of course, it helps to listen to some old George Carlin while heading up to hike the SHT--he has a commentary on the subject from the early-mid 70s.

And, in defense of mtn-man--he is as current, if not more so, with State, County and Local park regulations in regards to geocaching as any Minnesota cacher, and has been up to our fine state seeking caches on many occassions. He is actually revered by many of us more active Minnesota cachers, and a local cacher has even launched a Travel Bug in his honor. I also applaud GC.com's policy of not approving so-called "vacation" caches for the same reasons that mtn-man stated--if you can't maintain the cache, you are littering (when the cache starts to degrade), and you are also taking up a 526 foot radius area where a local isn't able to place a cache.

At first I said the SAME EXACT THING about mtn-man..................

but then I soon realized he knows what he's doing and I find it hard to believe that ANYBODY will donate more time and effort to geocaching them him!

Seriously---Minnesota is lucky to have him!

**suckin' up doesnt hurt either** :(

Edited by Kitch

I love the SHT... I've found two caches on the trail and have placed one (Little Corridor at 420). I'm starting to try to get up there once a year to do a different section of the trail. Let us know how it goes.

I don't know any more on the trail than what you've found out about already.

-Aaron

Actually I have a travel bug in mtn-man's honor too. He travels the country, his work takes him everywhere. He knows his stuff. And he has lots and lots of friends, because he is a really nice guy. I know this because I too have cached with him, in Long Island, and in New Jersey. The mtn-man gets around.

lppd841, if you haven't already gotten the message, your messing with the wrong crowd. Since you are not a resident of Minnesota I don't even know why it is of concern to you who approves our caches. Don't you think that if the cachers of Minnesota and the members of the Minnesota Geocaching Association (MNGCA) had a problem with mtn-man that we would address it with GC.com and resolve our issues. I don't think that we need an outsider trying to tell us how to establish and maintain caches in this state.

In looking at your profile it seems your more interested in placing caches then finding caches. If so that's fine with me. However, since we take cache maintence here pretty seriously, unless you can get a co-sponsor here in the future please refrain from placing caches here that you can't maintain. This is particularly important in those areas that are monitered by the DNR or local Commissions. We are very proactive here in trying to establish good relationships and the inability to maintain a cache doesn't help the cause.

I don't need to defend mtn-man, he's a big boy and knows how to do that himself.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll be starting my hike next Sunday the 18th, providing I make all my connections. I have a TB that needs to get to MN so it will probably be dropped off in the first cache I come to (don't want to be carrying extra weight for 2 weeks).

OK, OK we all love mtn-man and do appreciate his service. The fact remains, he has approved five of my caches in the last eight months in Carlton County. All of these caches are being logged and in better shape than some caches whose owners are in the area 24/7. All I'm looking for is for him (or any approver) to be consistent.

It was wrong of me to off post and I now see that the NE MN is lucky to have mtn-man working to make geocaching a fun sport. I tend to hide more caches than I find, but that's my thing, I guess. The folks talking about quality vs quantity simply like finding better than hiding. Cachers logging my caches, for the most part are saying nice things, and aren't having silly debates about quality vs quantity. Sorry mtn-man, thanks for your support.

I finished my hike of the Superior Hiking Trail on August 2, 13 days on the trail and I had a great time. That really is a superior trail.

I found most (but not all) of the caches I had thought were on the trail. From my original list I found Lava Ridge, 420, Room with a View, Under the Boardwalk, A Piece of the Past, Wolf Rock and Superior, superior.

Blue Diamond rest Stop was a DNF, Blesner Lake I decided was too far off the trail (it was already a 16 mile day), same for Gene-O's Landing. As far as Blesner Creek, some idiot entered the wrong coordinates into my GPSr.

Thanks to all the owners of these caches and of course to the SHTA.