So, What Am I Doing Wrong?

Thanks to friends of ours we have gotten into geocaching. We placed our first cache (The Pilot) and submittted it on the third of July. Everything looks to be in order and there are no notes from the "reviewers" indicating that there is anything wrong. I have read that it takes 24-48 hours for an approval to come through but now we are into the fourth day...

Is there something up the approval system or site itself? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Team LHL

More than likely the approvers are overloaded with new cache submissions. Keep in mind all the approvers are volunteers. Is your cache a multi? Multis typically take a day or two longer that a traditional due to the extra research needed. I'm sure your cache will be approved very soon.

The volunteers reviewers are quite busy from the weekend, took a look at you new cache, one thing I can see is you live 400 miles away and you left no notes to the reviewer on how you plan to maintain the cache.

Post a note and explain how you are going to do that in a note to the reviewer and it should speed up the process and caches that have issues go to the bottom of the list while I work through the query in the states that I review in.

All the information that you give to the reviewer will help

Tennessee Geocacher

Geocaching.com Reviewer

The volunteers reviewers are quite busy from the weekend, took a look at you new cache, one thing I can see is you live 400 miles away and you left no notes to the reviewer on how you plan to maintain the cache.

Post a note and explain how you are going to do that in a note to the reviewer and it should speed up the process and caches that have issues go to the bottom of the list while I work through the query in the states that I review in.

All the information that you give to the reviewer will help

Tennessee Geocacher

Geocaching.com Reviewer

Thanks to all that have replied! I had a feeling that it may be an "overload" period due to the holiday weekend.

Tennessee Geocacher, I'll go back and add a note to my submission. We do remote communcations testing and are on the road most of the time...

All the best,

Team LHL

I too have been waiting several days for my second cache to be approved - while this is only my second cache to hide, I started the practice of explaining all I can (on advice of this forum) - for instance I live in an area full of canyons, ponds and trails - on a flat map (AKA GPS) a cache can look really close to others - yet be quite a distance down across and back up a canyon - or around a pond that does not show on a map. I suggested he look at a topo if closeness was an issue. I actuall got exactly .1 miles from a cache I did not realize was there (did not know this trail went there). But when you walk it, the distance up and around the pond is likely at least double that.

Week ends must be a bear for these guys - most of us do our caching and stashing on the weekend - so they get a flood then and famine during the week.

Does anyone know what is required to be an approver?

CompuCash , I took a look at yours it does have issues also, being to close to another cache, like you said but when the reviewers are caught for that area with the fast approval caches am sure they will be looking at it again.

Like I said before if it has issues it will normally go to the bottom of the list until all caches are approved that had no issues , it way faster to review more caches that way that are within the guidelines to start with.

Tennessee Geocacher

Geocaching.com Reviewer

Reviewers (contrary to popular belief :laughing: ) have lives. They could have been out caching or on vacation this past weekend. My only cache was a simple one and took 4 days. Our reviewer has to oversee all of Northern California! (Thank you Hemlock.) Relax, take it easy, go out and find some more caches.

Thank you, Sherwood Forest, for understanding the reason for Ohio falling a bit behind on cache approvals. I was attending Geo-Woodstock and the volume of new caches was a bit heavy for my designated backup to handle on top of his own workload. When I got home, I reviewed something like 35 caches before even thinking about logging any of the finds from my trip. I am still trying to get caught up!

And the interesting thing was, there were very, very few complaints - just a few folks asking why they hadn't heard anything, and wondering if anything was wrong. I try to be as fast as I can, most of the time, and hopefully that builds up some goodwill when I am away for a few days.

I am privileged to work with such great cache hiders!

Yeah, I was beginning to wonder myself. I placed two caches last Friday, and they are still not approved. However, the Fourth of July weekend had to be busy for cache placement.

I do know that at least one of the caches was looked at by the "local" admin, as there was a note placed. The links that I had entered had been replaced by a generic "Visit Link" text that did not work. I fixed the problem and e-mailed the approver, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I can just imagine the overload these approvers must go through at times. My two caches alone have a total of 10 different coordinates to check out (and yes, I did list them all in a note to the approver). I don't know if I'd be up for all the work that is involved with being an approver. It doesn't seem like it would leave any time to actually enjoy caching itself.

Shannon

I just placed my first cache and had it approved today. I submitted it to GC on the eve of 7-7-04 and it was approved a couple hours ago. It was however a pretty simple straightforward hide. Good Work Co Admin. Take a look at the cache here.

Ya there's a club for that. Seems most people think Co-Admin doesn't like them.

Thorin

There's probably only 2 or 3 people in that club. And no, I'm not one of them.

On topic: Maybe someone should start and pin a thread entitled, "How Long Do I Have To Wait For Approval". Seems to be one of the more FAQs.

VegasCacheHounds - thank you for your patience. Your multicache is at the top of the Nevada queue at this time. I'm sure that CO Admin will look at it very soon. Many of us "triage" during busy times by putting aside the more time-consuming reviews in favor of finishing the easier ones and getting them listed. I have one or two multicaches and puzzles parked in my queue as well, and that is how I'll be spending my Friday evening. You have a great reputation as a good cache hider so I'm confident everything will work out well.

To everyone else - please keep in mind that the topic of this thread is cache approvals, how the process works, the delays that sometimes result, etc. I thank you in advance for posting on-topic.

Thorin

On topic: Maybe someone should start and pin a thread entitled, "How Long Do I Have To Wait For Approval". Seems to be one of the more FAQs.

Yeah, maybe a post in the FAQ thread over in the Getting Started forum would be nice.

An entry in the Groundspeak Knowledgebase might also be a good idea.

The "Frequently Asked Questions About Geocaching" page ought to say something about this as well.

Thorin

Yeah, maybe a post in the FAQ thread over in the Getting Started forum would be nice.

An entry in the Groundspeak Knowledgebase might also be a good idea.

The "Frequently Asked Questions About Geocaching" page ought to say something about this as well.

I'm thinknig we could have the forums spit up a random answer from one of the times before when the question came up.

If it was done right newbies would be slammed every bit as hard as they normally are when they ask questions in their innocence.

It would work like this...

Newbie's topic: "wouldn't it be great if we had moving caches?"

Random answer: Listen up your dweeb, this is GC.com, love it or leave it, if you don't like that they don't allow moving caches go start your own site and flounder like all the others.

Or this:

Newbie Topic. "Hey I was thinking of buying a Megellan Sport Track..."

"Magellans Suck, Garmins rule, if you had a brain you would get a Garmin"

Of course once in a while they would get a nice answer too but why skew the actual results?

Edited by Renegade Knight