Garmin 60c Maps Topo & Streets

jj3

Hey folks,

I've been using, and love, my 60C for about 6 weeks now. I have recently put both City Select and the Garmin Topo on there but am wondering if there is a way to *see* both at the same time.

I've found that the Street maps take precedence over the contour lines, meaning if I have all my maps 'checked' or activated, the topo lines will not show. I have to manually go in and uncheck the street maps for my given area then the contour lines will show.

Any thoughts on this? Am I simply missing a setup function or is this the default? Often while caching on backcountry roads it would be useful to have both viewable.

Thanks in advance,

JJ3

PS-I am running the latest Garmin Beta firmware (3.41 or something like that-sorry don't have unit in front of me)

I have recently put both City Select and the Garmin Topo on there but am wondering if there is a way to *see* both at the same time.

You can't see both maps at the same time. You can use the map setup menu to quickly switch between any maps you have loaded but that's the best you can do.

While I'm sure this is true, at the moment I can't find where it's documented even though I'm pretty sure I remember reading it somewhere.

Hmm, well that stinks. I went ahead and sent feedback to Garmin regarding this beta firmware (actually 3.42 I'm running) and inquired about viewing both map sets simultaneously.

I can see how the screen can get quite cluttered with contour lines and roads but it's a real pain switching between the two, especially with the 25+ maps I have loaded.

I guess in my ideal world I would have the ability to turn declutter on, yet still see roads and contour lines...oh well, something else to add to my fantasy wish-list.

thanks for the reply D&D.

Viewing both maps simultaneously would create problems. The data comes from different sources and frequently both maps will include the same street but drawn slightly differently. So it would be confusing as to whether the nearby line is the same street or a different one.

But the number of maps you have loaded shouldn't make switching back and forth any more difficult. When you have the list of maps displayed select the MENU again and you should get the option to display:

All maps

City Select Maps

Topo Maps

No Maps.

(Note, I don't have a 60c, but this is the way it works on other Garmin models.)

So switching between display of Topo and City Select (or other set of maps) is easy.

Hmm...Peter, now that might make things easier...once I hit map setup it brings me to a scroll of all maps...I've never tried to hit MENU again from here...

I'll try this at lunch today and see what I get. that would make things quicker if nothing else.

before I was scrolling through and de-selecting specific maps to enable my topo maps to take over...

This is why I like this forum, good answers/solutions!