Gc Grammar And Spelling

How about this one that many people from the Midwest (including me) are guilty of: ending a sentence with a preposition.

"I'm going caching. Who wants to go with?"

I hear that alot too, where I live.

I also hear "you's", "youngin", and "she done raked them leaves" or "he done fixed that car".

how about when people say or write "for all intense (and) purposes" the word 'and' appearing intermittently.

Or once, I saw a typo in our product reported by a customer rep. who noted that there was a word "miss spelled" on the page!

:P

"I have an ideal."

:P:laughing::P ROFLMAOPMP! stop, I am crying now!

OH OH OH --- ok, careful, this might make your eyes bleed, but if I HEAR the non-word "funnest" in one more commercial, I may have to seek professional help!

Edited by norbu
"miss spelled"

I think I dated her once.... :P

Or how about "geocaching" and "Geocaching.com"....?

Lots of people get those mixed up... :P

(phone rings)

"Hello?....Oh, hi Jeremy....hehe....uh, I was just foolin'. on that last post...hehe....no, really, no need to do that to my accou

Let's not forget my Old West favorites, "hanged" and "hung"...

That's easy! It's "you should be hanged" and "I'm hung". :P

Btw, the usual reply in Chicago to "You wanna go wit?" is "Go witcha where?". :P

Be thankful that we don't have to listen to the forums....I wouldn't go near the U.K. forum. :P

I don't have any pet peeves when reading, but I do find it funny that many people use "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

I had to read through the entire thread just to see if someone mentioned this. It seems to be a regional mistake. Some regions use it correctly some incorrectly.

I torment the people I work with, for their passive expressions. The most common. Instead of asking me to do something for them, they ask "Do you want to....". I promptly answer "I don't really WANT to", or just "WANT to?"

Petty?

Let's not forget my Old West favorites, "hanged" and "hung"...

That's easy! It's "you should be hanged" and "I'm hung". :P

Btw, the usual reply in Chicago to "You wanna go wit?" is "Go witcha where?". :P

Be thankful that we don't have to listen to the forums....I wouldn't go near the U.K. forum. :P

"Yo yo Billy Dee...you want me go witchyou?"

Colt 45, baby... "Oh yea, oh yea"

One thing that always amazed me about English, as taught in schools, is how rigid and structured it all seemed to be. When in fact the English language, like any other, is a living, breathing, evolving thing. All of the things in this thread are a part of that. I am not really peeved by any of it.

That being said, the thing I like to get people on is this: when some one asks you if you CAN or COULD do this or that when what they actually mean is WILL you do it. I always respond "Yes, I can do that.". Then they look at you all weird when you don't go ahead and do it. Then I ask them "Oh, did you want me to do that?".

Two other thing: irregardless and regardless are interchangeable (altho irregardless is not standard) and the phrase is 'intents and purposes'.

I've got a question. (pick me! pick me!) no...I'm not a nose :P

Please pronounce the word: IRON

Even the dictionary says it should be pronounced "eye-orn". If so, then why isn't it spelled: IORN??!!?? :P WHY DO EVERYBODY SHOUTING AT ME??? and why does most peeple thet post her dont beeleev in punctiation or spelling like i do and cant evin end a sentens wit a pereed lik i do

Oh, the Iorny of it all!

OH OH OH --- ok, careful, this might make your eyes bleed, but if I HEAR the non-word "funnest" in one more commercial, I may have to seek professional help!

We are all professionals here - of one sort or another. So, just what IS your problem? :P

Please pronounce the word: IRON

Even the dictionary says it should be pronounced "eye-orn". If so, then why isn't it spelled: IORN??!!??

Around here, it can often be "arn."

One thing that always amazed me about English, as taught in schools, is how rigid and structured it all seemed to be. When in fact the English language, like any other, is a living, breathing, evolving thing. All of the things in this thread are a part of that. I am not really peeved by any of it.

One of my college English Professors believed that, but didn't grade that way. :P

How about this one that many people from the Midwest (including me) are guilty of: ending a sentence with a preposition.

"I'm going caching.  Who wants to go with?"

I resent that accurate statement. :P Although not a proper use of a preposition, I sometimes end a sentence with one and instead of using a period, I'll conveniently place these '...' . For example, "We are going geocaching to ..." Anyways, some people like to write and others enjoy correcting what other people write (wish I could afford an editing service).

BTW, is there a name for these ' ... ' ? :P I bet Pipanella knows ...

The one that bugs me more than anything is "your" when they mean to say "you're". That's everywhere!

As in, "Your going to like this cache". If you want to say that, "you are (something)", then use, "you're".

I've noticed that too. Their a lot of people who just can't get it right. :(

"I could care less".  That means that there are other things you care less about, which is the exact opposite of what the person is trying to say.

It's I couldn't care less

Carleep beat you to this one a whole page ago. :(

CARLEEP?

I had to!! I just had to!!!!!

Here are my personal irritants.... anyone else irritated by double negatives?

"Don't use no double negatives!" As in... "I haven't got no books today." That one always irritates me.

Also, when someone is speaking of having their female cat neutered..

"I just had my cat spaded." I want to reply, "Why, did she die?"

(The proper term is to spay a cat, or have it spayed.) No, this has nothing to do with our user name! :(

all righty then. yes, well.

i make a distinction between bad typing, artistic license, and people who just cannot be bothered to learn standard grammar and the formal register.

i'm totally down with "ain't," "y'all", "me 'n' her", and "want to come with?"

and i am often very discrete while searching for a cache. or at least i try to be.

i do not use capitals when typing, but it all evens out since i do not use lowercase letters when printing.

i think it is usually bad form and almost always bad manners to allow criticism of poor spelling and grammar substitute for free interchange of ideas.

likewise it is usually bad manners to comment on other peoples' bad manners.

and d'ya ever notice that sometimes the correct form just makes yo look like a weenie? you know the phrase "it's not my forte"? it's properly pronounced "fort" rather than "for-tay", but most people don't know that so if you pronounce it correctly, they think you're an idiot.

so i just don't say it.

anymore.

i'll be over there if you need me.

you know the phrase "it's not my forte"? it's properly pronounced "fort" rather than "for-tay", but most people don't know that so if you pronounce it correctly, they think you're an idiot.

so i just don't say it.

anymore.

That's weird. I've been in music all my life, whether it is violin, piano, harp, or choir, and all my teachers have always pronounced it "for-tay". It's wierd how they were all wrong. :(

you know the phrase "it's not my forte"? it's properly pronounced "fort" rather than "for-tay", but most people don't know that so if you pronounce it correctly, they think you're an idiot.

so i just don't say it.

anymore.

That's weird. I've been in music all my life, whether it is violin, piano, harp, or choir, and all my teachers have always pronounced it "for-tay". It's wierd how they were all wrong. :(

it would be "for-tay" if it were from the italian (meaning loud), which is what people assume. it's from the french, meaning strong.

like i said, i just don't go to the trouble of having to use it at all anymore.

so i just don't say it.

anymore.

it would be "for-tay" if it were from the italian (meaning loud), which is what people assume. it's from the french, meaning strong.

like i said, i just don't go to the trouble of having to use it at all anymore.

According to The Merriam Webster Dictionary:

In forte we have a word derived from French that in its "strong point" sense has no entirely satisfactory pronunciation. Usage writers have denigrated \'for-"tA\ and \'for-tE\ because they reflect the influence of the Italian-derived 2forte. Their recommended pronunciation \'fort\, however, does not exactly reflect French either: the French would write the word le fort and would rhyme it with English for. So you can take your choice, knowing that someone somewhere will dislike whichever variant you choose. All are standard, however. In British English \'fo-"tA\ and \'fot\ predominate; \'for-"tA\ and \for-'tA\ are probably the most frequent pronunciations in American English.

Main Entry: forte

Pronunciation: 'fOrt, 'fort; 2 is often 'for-"tA or for-'tA or 'for-tE

Function: noun

Etymology: French fort, from fort, adjective, strong

1 : the part of a sword or foil blade that is between the middle and the hilt and that is the strongest part of the blade

2 : one's strong point

Here are my personal irritants.... anyone else irritated by double negatives?

"Don't use no double negatives!" As in... "I haven't got no books today." That one always irritates me.

I always say, "That isn't not my strong suit," 'cause I play some cards. I know very little French or Italian, mon amee. :(

Um...Its February...
gotcha!
i think it is usually bad form and almost always bad manners to allow criticism of poor spelling and grammar substitute for free interchange of ideas.

likewise it is usually bad manners to comment on other peoples' bad manners.

Well, how about a free interchange of ideas which notes that every time you submit something in writing, people do notice, and formulate opinions. Hence, it might be wise for us all, since we are all guilty, to take note. We are not attacking individuals here. Cache on.