Greater Seattle Area Cachers

Wienerdog

Thanks Jon for the offer to try out your V. That would be outstanding since it's on the short list of units I'm thinking of upgrading to now that the III is dead.

This will be my 8th consecutive STP so I know just what I'm in for this weekend. I have writeups for the last seven on my web page. I even had to miss the Victoria Cache Machine last year due to the ride. I'll be on a Litespeed Classic, bib number 344. I have always done it in two days, staying over in Winlock (site of the virtual cache at the "world's largest egg"). I'm not riding with anyone this year but will be keeping to a tight schedule along the way and hope to join a few pacelines. I'm staying over in Portland on Sunday and would have had the time and transport (my sister lives there and will be meeting me at the finish line) to do some afternoon caching but it will have to wait for another trip. See you when I get back!

:D My Meri Plat is broken also, but it's been replaced with a brand new Meri Color!

Wow, this has been the month for Broken GPSr's around here.

Totem Lake and Pepper's MeriPlats, My Rino, and K7waves GPSIII.

In my case it gave me the excuse I've been waiting for to get that 60C I've been lusting after.

I haven't mentioned this but my Vista is acting up too! Screen blanks out at times...I have to press down on the glass to see things again. If it goes haywire for good, well I will get the new ones even if I have to use plastic. I've nothing but good things aobut those new Garmins!

I haven't mentioned this but my Vista is acting up too! Screen blanks out at times...I have to press down on the glass to see things again. If it goes haywire for good, well I will get the new ones even if I have to use plastic. I've nothing but good things aobut those new Garmins!

Didn't Garmin just send you a new Vista after the last one broke?

Didn't Garmin just send you a new Vista after the last one broke?

Yeah, I thought so as it look totally like a new gps. but I'm thinking it's the same one but with new shell. Screen is acting up, but I can fix that by pressing the glass down. But if it goes for good, I'm getting the new Garmin with the Altimeter and Compass. Donna has that one and it's awful sweet!

I love my 60CS as well. I'm new so I don't have much to compare it too... but I played with all of them at REI so I was able to make a pretty educated decision on it. I love the fact that the 60CS has the electronic compass and altimeter. Just hate how most GPSr units will show you the tools (compass and alt) but without the functionality unless you buy the more expensive model. I always thought that was weird. So I checked on EBay and found a new 60Cs for $399. Couldn't pass it up.

K7... Number 344 huh? Well if I happen to see you cross the finish line I'll flag you down and introduce myself. So don't be shocked if some stranger comes up to ya :D

Good luck and ride safe!!!

I will be leaving town for about a week and a half tomorrow. It looks like I will be close to 300 when I get back since I won't have much time for caching while in Colorado. I am considering doing some of the caches on the railroad trail at I-90 including Iron Horse and Project Ape. I would be doing these on foot. The Project Ape page does not say anything about getting to it and the MapQuest map is useless. Can anyone shed some light an getting to this cache in particular and the others along the trail in general. Where to park and length of walk are considerations. Also, I will need to know if I need a Forest Pass for parking. Any help will be appreciated.

caches on the railroad trail at I-90 including Iron Horse and Project Ape. I would be doing these on foot. The Project Ape page does not say anything about getting to it and the MapQuest map is useless. Can anyone shed some light an getting to this cache in particular and the others along the trail in general.

Weightman the "normal" route begins at Iron Horse (East). There is parking not more than 500 feet from here at the Iron Horse State Park trailhead ($5.00 parking).

From here you can do the following caches in order:

Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers...

Iron Horse

Mission 9: Tunnel of Light

Avalanche Shed

This route is approximately 10 miles round trip with very little elevation change. You will need a flashlight for the portion between Iron Horse (East) and Iron Horse. The bigger the flash light the better. Two miles is a long way in the dark. There are also many other lighted caches near the east end of the pass that are worth doing if you have the time.

I would definately recommend a bike. Maybe K7-wave would let you borrow the cool hoopty he had on our Iron Horse event. Heck I might even join you for a return trip. Peace, Nolenator

I have not been on a bike in 50 years give or take. I don't have the callouses (sp?) built up for any extensive ride like that.

I am also not too sure I want to do four miles (both ways) in the tunnel. With L&R's estimate of ten miles round trip that would be 40 percent of the day in the tunnel. I'm thinking about stopping at Ashahel Curtis and picking up two or three there and then going east and do Iron Horse East.

How far into the tunnel is Bloody Fingers? From the maps it looks like about half way.

I am probably looking at doing this Wednesday or Thursday after I get back. That would make it the 11th or 12th. I have four planned for Colorado and that would put me at 299. If I wait until the weekend I would have to not cache at all during the week in order to hit 300 up there. Of course, that assumes that I hit all four in Colorado, which is a bit problematic given the time I don't have to cache there. I do have to hit at least one since I am releasing two TBs named after some friends there. The two boys are 7 and 9 and the TBs will serves a bit of a geography and history lesson for the boys. I will be caching with them on Friday, August 6.

[/rambling]

I would definately recommend a bike.  Maybe K7-wave would let you borrow the cool hoopty he had on our Iron Horse event.  Heck I might even join you for a return trip.  Peace, Nolenator

I have not been on a bike in 50 years give or take. I don't have the callouses (sp?) built up for any extensive ride like that.

I am also not too sure I want to do four miles (both ways) in the tunnel. With L&R's estimate of ten miles round trip that would be 40 percent of the day in the tunnel. I'm thinking about stopping at Ashahel Curtis and picking up two or three there and then going east and do Iron Horse East.

How far into the tunnel is Bloody Fingers? From the maps it looks like about half way.

I am probably looking at doing this Wednesday or Thursday after I get back. That would make it the 11th or 12th. I have four planned for Colorado and that would put me at 299. If I wait until the weekend I would have to not cache at all during the week in order to hit 300 up there. Of course, that assumes that I hit all four in Colorado, which is a bit problematic given the time I don't have to cache there. I do have to hit at least one since I am releasing two TBs named after some friends there. The two boys are 7 and 9 and the TBs will serves a bit of a geography and history lesson for the boys. I will be caching with them on Friday, August 6.

[/rambling]

This is a trip I've been wanting to do also. I missed the group that did it on Memorial Day because.... well it was memorial day weekend and I wanted to stay married :rolleyes:

There are a half dozen places to access the trail, but as L&R said, the easiest is at the east end of the tunnel. From there it's downhill all the way.

The best way to do this is to park a car at one of the trailheads on the west side of the mountains and drive up to the summit, ride your bike (or hike) thru the tunnel and down to the pre-selected trailhead. This way you don't have to turn around and do the trail again, this time uphill ;)

This post lists the caches in order from top to bottom. The project Ape cache is just off the trail.

You can avoid the $5 state park charge by parking in the forest service lot farther toward the boat launch if you have a NW forest pass.

Also there are several other easy caches right around the pass area.

P.S. Oh and you can cut five miles off by ending at Rattlesnake lake instead of North Bend

P.P.S Bloody Fingers is new and its between the first two caches listed.

Edited by MarcusArelius

Thanks to Runhills for doing an epic 10 mile hike on Friday and retrieving the Moun10bike coin and placing it in She'll be comin' so I could find it. I am glad I found the cache before you guys got back up the hill. Whoo Hoo! Yes, we do want to see the track file from your Friday adventure with elevation please. RH, you are one of my heros. Peace, Nolenator

Hey all,

TotemLake said I should keep everybody informed of my upcoming visit to the Seattle area in here.

I'm planning on being out in Seattle on the first weekend in October, and with any luck, I'm hoping to get my 500th find on the trip (I started caching in January of this year). I don't expect I can do a ton of caching while I'm out there (My girlfriend naturally expects more of my time while I'm visiting) but I'd be glad to meet some of the local geocachers, perhaps to help celebrate my 500?

Anyways, just thought I'd post and see what happens.

Hey all. Just wanted to remind anyone I'll be in the Seattle area the first weekend of October. Should be celebrating my 500th find (assuming everything goes well the rest of the month here for me) I know it's small potatos to some geocachers, heck some might even still call me a newbie. But nonetheless, I figured getting my 500th on my trip out there would be nice.

So anyone with a reccomendation for a great cache out there to make my milestone find with (interesting hide, area, etc..) and or if anyone cares to meet up. I know how schedules fill up quick, and I don't expect a big response, just thought I'd drop a line and see if there was any interest.

Thanks!

Joel (aka KC0GRN)

St. Paul, Minnesota

Hey all. Just wanted to remind anyone I'll be in the Seattle area the first weekend of October. Should be celebrating my 500th find (assuming everything goes well the rest of the month here for me) I know it's small potatos to some geocachers, heck some might even still call me a newbie. But nonetheless, I figured getting my 500th on my trip out there would be nice.

So anyone with a reccomendation for a great cache out there to make my milestone find with (interesting hide, area, etc..) and or if anyone cares to meet up. I know how schedules fill up quick, and I don't expect a big response, just thought I'd drop a line and see if there was any interest.

Thanks!

Joel (aka KC0GRN)

St. Paul, Minnesota

Lots of good candidates. To help us narrow things down, what type of caches are you seeking...just the city types or are you interested in some longer ones such as the hiking ones or even out in the country drive by types that mgiht end with a fairly short hike? Several caches up around Snoqualmie Pass and around North Bend.

Actually I have cached a little in the area before. Made the Project Ape cache my 100th find (so I'm keeping on track with doing my bigger milestone caches in Seattle it seems).

My 500th could be just about anything I'm thinking. Shoot I was bold enough last time I went out there to try for EvergreenHiker's "Dream Cache" out at Dream Lake, didn't get that one due to time constraints though, and I doubt I'll be able to try anything that demanding this time around, but if there's a simpler hike through the mountains I wouldn't be opposed.

Speaking of which, my actual biggest reason for heading out there this time is it's my girlfriend's birthday (Yep, she lives out there, one of those long distance relationships). She was with me when I did the Project Ape cache, and will most likely accompany me on my 500th.

That being said, I suppose I should limit the physically demanding caches to something doable in an hour or so's worth of time, by your average person (I obviously have some hiking experience now, but she may get tired faster). I'm not opposed to a country or city cache, whatever anyone thinks would make a memorable one (perhaps ones that others have saved for milestones? We have a few in my area people talk about doing on their milestones, I'm sure there's some out there like that), I've seen well done caches in both an urban setting all the way to way out in the back country and have enjoyed them all.

I figure I'll let your expertise be the judge from there. Suggest away!

Edited by KC0GRN

There are two that come to mind quickly. One is Sandstone Falls which is about 1.5 miles each way. I would do it from Coal Creek. The other is one I did for my 200th. That would be Guillemot Cove, but that would take some time since it is in Kitsap County. The hike is not long or difficult although the find is. You could make a day of it by doing some caching on the way including Bull Moose's two ferry caches as well as some others in Kitsap. Those two ferry caches are available here and here.

Those all look pretty cool. The ferry caches are different from anything I've done too. Sandstone creek is closer so it'd be easier to get to...

Any others? And is anyone interested in going along? I haven't really done a milestone cache with more than 2 people, so that'd be cool too.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you know of a fantastic cache that doesn't see much traffic. It's Chainsaw Wall. It is a good workout for a half day hike. But not nearly as long or high as some of the other hikes along the pass.

Too cool Susan!

Yes, Mark is right. This is an excellent cache!!!! I belive there is another one not too far away further up the hill...no i'm not talking about the Owl cache, but another oen that requires scrambling to get to. I still need to get that cache and perhaps I'll put a box out at a spot that I know further on in and to the east.

Now there are four caches in the same general area. I did hike up to within 225 yards of Buswhack but I didn't have any daylight left to tackle it. I hate it when that happens. I ended up at the pond by the creek's headwaters. I may just take the high road around the mountain top to get to it next time.

That may be longer,but is definitely an alternate route to take. If you do that, right below the summit you will come to a junction at a big open flat area.you could keep straight or take the summit ridge spur to the top, or take the right which is the one you want to take for htre cache.

The cache will below the road at one point....so cut down and get it. This is definitely easier then going up from the bottom like I did. That pond area you are talking about is pretty close to where I started up. Almost vertical slopes.

So Mr. WD (MR) is still caching away.

:D I'm still cold. What else is new? :D

Can't you see my avatar? All snuggled in my bed.

For those of you that don't know.... I (Chloe, the real WD) had a bout with a cancerous tumor this winter. They removed it and I still have a clean bill of health!

My poor Mom (Mrs. WD) about lost her mind while I was sick :huh: So I just knew I had to get better!

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts sent our way!

Spring caching ahead! :D