Cache In October 2

murfster

I have the tentative PDF poster for the Event at CEC.

It will be released with the first 'CACHE-ON!" magazine from OGA, set to hit 'shelves' by Labour Day.

Now that I've said it, we have to come through.

We will be there!

:( The Blue Quasar

P.S. TELL EVERY GEOCACHER YOU KNOW, Let's fill the place and have fun!

Ok just for anyone else who doesn't/didn't know:

Mattawa is North of Algonquin Park and East of North Bay.

Which for me is roughly a 4hr drive (~285km) :( Don't think I'll be there...

For some reason I can't access this link. The PDF document doesn't display....
When I tried it, it wouldn't display in my browser either. Just right click the link and save it, it'll open fine straight in Acrobat Reader (or at least it did for me :( ).

Thorin

Edited by thorin
Ok just for anyone else who doesn't/didn't know:

Mattawa is North of Algonquin Park and East of North Bay.

Which for me is roughly a 4hr drive (~285km) :D Don't think I'll be there...

Too bad Thorin, :D Night Vison activities..lots of prises. Perhaps if enough of you southern guys got together you could rent a van and carpool. :D It is a 5 hour drive south for me on 2 lanes.. you will have 4 most of the way. Lots of caches tooooo!

It will be great.. hope many of you can get there.

Murfster

Will the camp still be open or do we have to rent a cabin? Can we participate in activities if we aren't staying there? (my folks live in North Bay I may just come in for the Saturday events)

You certainly can come for just the day! The faculity is designed for Education and Training so it has cabins and a kitchen which they will let us use.

I'm not sure about the campground..but will find out.

The main thing at this point is to mark your calendar and watch for more details.

:unsure:

Murfster

Edited by murfster
QUOTE (TrimblesTrek @ Jul 20 2004, 10:43 AM)

Well, I'm not entirely sure what to expect at the event, but I've booked my cabin anyway. Hope it doesn't snow. 

murfster:

Snow.. Heck not a chance!!  December 2nd maybe!! 

Hmmmm murfster, you obviously don't know about TT's luck do you!

Hey,

Got the "Team Lethargy" cabin all booked up! :(

as we get closer to the date, will there be an agenda/itinerary for the events going on? I plan on bringing FRS anyhow so I guess that will work too! This is cool everyone! look forward to meeting up with everyone and having some fun!!

:( Unfortunatly Oct 2 is White Pine Region's 30th anniversary Beaveree here in Peterborough. My youngest son is a Beaver & oldest is Keeo & I am a leader so we will be there. Although I'm still not sure if we will have a group or not - our Beavers, Cubs, Guides & Pathfinders lost all of their group equipment in the Peterborough Flood. Our Beaver & Cub groups are very small, so it may make more sense to just join up with another group.

Wish I could be there - have fun everyone!

-Donna G

I have looked at the map before, and even though you guys have scared me with the perceived 'huge distance' to Mattawa. It really isn't THAT bad.

We recently drove to Dorset from Niagara and it took about 4.5 hours. I've been to Sudbury and that was only 6 hours. Mattawa looks to be about 5.5 hours from Niagara.

So realistically, most people could leave right after work and get there by 10pm at the latest.

That is if you wackos don't do a bunch of caches 'on the way'!!!

But seriously, I think that we should toss out a few ideas for things we can do APART from geocaching (I know "PAGAN" right?!?!?)

I'm all for having a Euchre tourney on Saturday night.

I will contact the CEC and see if we can get a propsed schedule and timeline for the weekend so we all know what to expect.

:anitongue: The Blue Quasar

I have looked at the map before, and even though you guys have scared me with the perceived 'huge distance' to Mattawa.  It really isn't THAT bad.

We recently drove to Dorset from Niagara and it took about 4.5 hours.  I've been to Sudbury and that was only 6 hours.  Mattawa looks to be about 5.5 hours from Niagara. 

So realistically, most people could leave right after work and get there by 10pm at the latest.

According to Streets and Trips and my averaging driving speeds:

St Catharines to Samuel de Champlain 475 km 5.25 hrs

Sarnia to Samuel de Champlain 635 km 7 hrs

Of course, those of us no longer constrained by such mundane activities as work can afford to take the scenic routes and avoid traffic. I was thinking of up the Bruce Peninsula and across to Manitoulin on the ferry but Streets and Trips is no help at all - my 2003 edition doesn't know about the ferry :(

Euchre ? Count me in! I've even got a few decks of cards in the truck from caches!

I'm off work at 10:30am on Friday (at the latest) so if anyone wants to head up early I'm up for some caching on the way. The 407 will cut at least 1/2 hr off your trip (from Burlington to 400) and 75% off the stress factor of Toronto BUT the cost of the toll is a factor for some.

As far as the ferry goes for Manitoulin - book now. Even in the off season it's full as I can attest from past experience. Drove up, couldn't cross and couldn't find a place to stay closer than Wiarton that night. Did manage to do the cache in Tobermory though. :(

Just some info from the "Cache In" source on what is going on Oct 2nd weekend. The agenda for the weekend has not yet been outlined in detail...there will be good food....lots of fun....campfire + night activities.....lots of geocaching....special new never before done geocaching activity (shhhh it's a secret).....saturday night supper will be lasagna, corn on the cob, apple crisp w/ ice cream, coffee tea juice. Samuel de Champlain Park is not booked up Oct 2nd still lots of room in the park...the park is self serve registration that time of year therefore they do not take reservations...it does not mean they are full....

Glad to hear so many are excited I will continue to post details as they become available when you register make sure you give your email address so we can update you on any changes that may come..

See you in Oct!!!!!

Would anyone be interested in learning more about some of the software used with Geocaching? GSAK? Paperless caching? etc? Would any of you attending be willing to do a short demo or Q&A on the topic? (There is a computer lab on site.)

Murfster

Would anyone be interested in learning more about some of the software used with Geocaching?  GSAK? Paperless caching? etc?  Would any of you attending be willing to do a short demo or Q&A on the topic?  (There is a computer lab on site.)

Murfster

Certainly interested. I'm a GSAK/Cachemate user but still a novice and would like to learn any new tricks from the experts. Would also be interested in seeing/comparing the Ontario mapping software that people are using. I can contribute Softmap, Mapsend, maybe the 2005 S&T. Would like to see the Fugawi Ontario topos, Mapsend Direct Route and anything else that people have found useful..

What a great idea!!!

A computer workshop for those interested would be really great.

I still need to find some time to write to the CEC and see what the schedule looks like, but it looks from the above post that they have things very well in hand.

Murfster??? Are you going to try to put together the computer instruction? As many in Niagara can attest to, I have little experience with these GPS programs (I only heard about Cachemate on Saturday)

I use GSAK and Easy GPS and (shudder) Mobipocket. I can use Streets and Trips and to a lesser extent Fugawi.

Good on you if you are willing to set that up for those that are interested.

:ph34r: The Blue Quasar

I can probably contribute to the software demonstration if there is interest. Maybe expand it to include paperless caching on Palm and Pocket PC. I dont know if there is a VGA projector up there if not I can bring one along to make the demo easier. Maybe tag team if someone else wants to contribute some different aspects of software. I am in the process of writing an article for the newsletter reviewing the different software available foruse with a GPS (geocaching and mapping) so if there are particular programs that people would like to see reviewed let me know. We could also demo them at CEC as well.

As many in Niagara can attest to, I have little experience with these GPS programs (I only heard about Cachemate on Saturday)

BQ you are the Uber techno geek, you taught me everything I know :rolleyes:

Happy Caching!

Logger

What a great idea!!!

A computer workshop for those interested would be really great.

BQ,

I know little about these programs, that is why I'd like to learn.. if a couple people would even answer some questions and get us started.

I'll call CEC and find out how the day will be laid out, and if we can use the lab, projector etc. Perhaps the software could be preloaded on the network. If not I can bring a laptop and projector.

Murfster

Let the good times roll!! :P All registered and ready to go. I'll have Stoney along with me and I'm working on CouparAngus to join us as well.

The gal at the CEC said that there is no food service on Friday night but that Mattawa is only a 10 minute drive. The other alternative is they have barbeques available for our use so we are planning on taking something to grill for dinner. Also there are fridges in the cabins.

This is definately shaping up to be a good time weekend. :mad:

Cheers, Olar

looks like i will be able to go, now hopefully school wont get in the way.

does anyone know if you have to call and book for food or can you pay and tell them when you get there?

You have to call and book meals at least a week in advance, otherwise no food for you :o There won't be enough food prepared ahead of time for people to show up and order food.

Would anyone be interested in learning more about some of the software used with Geocaching? GSAK? Paperless caching? etc? Would any of you attending be willing to do a short demo or Q&A on the topic? (There is a computer lab on site.)

Murfster

We will be having an information/discussion session Saturday morning for those interested in GPS software. I have emailed some of you who said you know about GPS software and asked you to share a bit about what you use. IF there is anyone who did not receive an email from the CEC who has some gps software info they want to share in a 5min blurp let me know and I can schedule you in. We will also have a Q & A period after people share about their gps software. Our computer lab will also be available for use at that time. A data projector can also be available for those presenting gps software info.

As promise here it is

Agenda for “Cache In” Oct 2nd 2004

(keep an eye out for the Northern Ontario “One horned” Sasquatch while you’re caching...he might be out and about)

Friday

Arrivals throughout the day; early arrivals can geocache in the area

7pm-9pm – Informal welcome reception (welcome to Mattawa! Munchies, conversation, fill out a ballot for a great door prize!)

9-11pm –Maple/Oak conference rooms available for card playing and “hanging out”

Saturday

7am-8am – Breakfast-maple/oak room

8am – Official welcome to “Cache In!”

-mix & mingle games (get to know your fellow cachers)-maple/oak room

9am – Geocaching Bingo? What’s that? (instructions, rules)

9:30am-10:30am – What do those numbers mean anyway?

The relationship between the map, compass and GPS. – optional workshop-maple/oak room

10:30am –11:30am– Geocaching Software – “What works!?” -optional information/discussion session-oak room/computer lab

11:30am – 12:30pm – Lunch-maple/oak room

12:30-4:30pm – geocache to your hearts content, do some geocaching bingo…if your finished try some of our local caches in the Mattawa/Bonfield area.-in Samuel de Champlain Prov. Park

4:30pm-5:30pm – OGA annual general meeting in oak/maple room at CEC.-maple/oak conference room

5:30pm-6:30pm – Dinner-maple/oak room

7pm-7:30pm – “What are we doing tonight?” Caching activity (find out what activities we’ll be doing this evening through a quick geocaching game)-meet in the maple/oak room

7:30pm[/b]- ‘till you want to go to bed – Night Program

Sunday

8am-9am – Breakfast-maple/oak room

9am-rest of day until you leave – Geocache in Bonfield/Mattawa area – have fun go hunt!

Edited by CEC
:lol: Hmmm.... you left out Friday 11pm to Sat 7am. This is the best possible caching time! :o

TT are you proposing an all-nighter? :( Guess I had better bring extra batteries for my GPSr and flashlite. I've been known to sit out at a camp-fire till the sun rises but have never tried caching instead. Sounds good to me. Better get a 40 oz'r of Yukon Jack in case of a frost setting in. :P

dadgum! This event is really shaping up to be a gooooooood time!

Cheers, Olar

How can you have caches in the park if this is a banned activity in our Provincial Parks?

We have gotten permission from the staff at Samuel De Champlain Provincial park to place "TEMPORARY" caches in park for that day only. So please don't start trying to place caches in provincial parks it is still not allowed.

We have gotten permission from the staff at Samuel De Champlain Provincial park

That is really good and maybe if they see this in a positive light they can pass it along to there bosses and we may get some action with what cache-tech as been trying to do.

:o