Cache In October 2

murfster

:huh:  Hmmm.... you left out Friday 11pm to Sat 7am.  This is the best possible caching time!  :o

TT are you proposing an all-nighter? :o Guess I had better bring extra batteries for my GPSr and flashlite. I've been known to sit out at a camp-fire till the sun rises but have never tried caching instead. Sounds good to me. Better get a 40 oz'r of Yukon Jack in case of a frost setting in. :o

dadgum! This event is really shaping up to be a gooooooood time!

Cheers, Olar

Night caching! Well, guess I better come along then! he he... could even bring my canoe for those hard to swim to caches! Olar, you can practice your night caching over at my Midnight Hat Trick (GCHHKA)! he he...

TOMTEC

Two Weeks and counting! Make sure you have called or emailed the CEC to say whether or not you are coming. It does not matter if you are not staying at the CEC and it does not matter if you aren't eating at the CEC you still need to let the CEC know you are coming so all activities can be planned for the right number of people. Lots of new challenges and lots of prizes that can only be won at this event! Hope to see all of you there!

We are sold out! All cabins at the CEC have been sold. There is still time to book a meal plan if you haven't yet done so and want to not have to worry about food that weekend.

If you would still like to come and need help finding accomodations in the Mattawa area you can email me at amanda@candianecology.ca and I will do my best to help you find suitable accomodations.

We're in the process of renovating the "Travel Bug Motel" so be sure to bring a travel bug friend.

Edited by CEC

FYI

1. Samuel De Champlain Park is operating on "self-serve"; envelopes are provided at the fee station (exterior wall of gatehouse) and campers can place their fee in the envelope; then place in the deposit box; Babawase side only is open to camping at this time of year. Permits are required for all visitors utilizing park facilities

2. Fees are: Day Only - $9.50 per vehicle

Regular Campsite - $20.00 per night

Electrical Campsite - $24.00 per night

3. Comfort station will be operational barring any unforeseen problems.

4. Unfortunately, the museum will not be open. All NHE staff have left

for the summer and they do not man the office on weekends.

5. The store will be open: The hours are posted, I believe it is open 10

am to 6 pm.

FYI

1. Samuel De Champlain Park is operating on "self-serve"; envelopes are provided at the fee station (exterior wall of gatehouse) and campers can place their fee in the envelope; then place in the deposit box; Babawase side only is open to camping at this time of year. Permits are required for all visitors utilizing park facilities

2. Fees are: Day Only - $9.50 per vehicle

3. Comfort station will be operational barring any unforeseen problems.

4. Unfortunately, the museum will not be open. All NHE staff have left

5. The store will be open: The hours are posted, I believe it is open 10

am to 6 pm.

Does the $9.50 per vehicle for "day only" apply to anyone staying at a CEC cabin? Would we have to pay $9.50 again for Saturday and then for Sunday?

Olar

I guess I haven't been paying attention but it appears that I've missed the fact that the CEC has a number of caches that are not listed on gc.com for various reasons but are out there for us to find and win $$ prizes.  Have a look at their website and click on "live caches" for the Bonfield-Mattawa area. 

Olar

I just looked at the geocaches (blue squares) and CEC caches (red squares) within 15km of the event. You're right, there's a whole lot of caches very close by. Might just have to stay for the week :huh:

e4380640-c5d9-4cc9-83d6-965a7396c6e5.jpg

I guess I haven't been paying attention but it appears that I've missed the fact that the CEC has a number of caches that are not listed on gc.com for various reasons but are out there for us to find and win $$ prizes. Have a look at their website and click on "live caches" for the Bonfield-Mattawa area.

Olar

Hard Oiler has extracted the cache names and coordinates (no easy job) into a .txt file and I have managed to produce a barebones gpx file from it. I've sent a copy to those that requested files earlier. Give me a shout if anyone else wants one.

Olar

FYI

1.  Samuel De Champlain Park is operating on "self-serve"; envelopes are provided at the fee station (exterior wall of gatehouse) and campers can place their fee in the envelope; then place in the deposit box; Babawase side only is open to camping at this time of year.  Permits are required for all visitors utilizing park facilities

2.  Fees are:      Day Only - $9.50 per vehicle

3.  Comfort station will be operational barring any unforeseen problems.

4.  Unfortunately, the museum will not be open.  All NHE staff have left

5.  The store will be open:  The hours are posted, I believe it is open 10

am to 6 pm.

Does the $9.50 per vehicle for "day only" apply to anyone staying at a CEC cabin? Would we have to pay $9.50 again for Saturday and then for Sunday?

Olar

Day vehicle costs do not apply to anyone coming to cache In. You are coming to the Canadian Ecology Centre for an event being held there, therefore you are not required to pay the day pass fee. Only those camping in the park are subject to park fees. That is only for your campsite. Any more questions about fees or other details email me at amanda@canadianecology.ca

I just had a thought, are there any Gas Stations close to, specifically from the Hwy 11/94 shortcut to along hwy 17 on the way to the CEC? I am sure this information will come in handy.

There is one gas station on the corner of 17 and 94 (Corbeil Corners to locals) and there are two more along the road before you get to Samuel De Champlain Provincial Park. Mattawa is only 10 min away and there are gas stations there as well. There are also restaurants in Mattawa for those arriving early on Friday night. Unless camping in the park there is no need to register with the park at all when you enter. Simply follow the signs in the park directly to the Canadian Ecology Centre.

Only Two more days 'till things get rolling! :rolleyes:

:P:mad::mad: WOW!! What a super weekend. :P:D:D

Workshops, caching, night vision demo, a wonderful time. The cabins were fantastic, food was good.. and the fall colours were excellent!!

Thanks to Amanda and Bill and the staff at CEC for a great event.

Can't wait for next year.. October 1st. 2005

Murfster and Tink007

Drove through Mattawa on the weekend and had a giggle because myrts restaurant still has the Welcome Geocachers sign up.

That's good.. we didn't tick them off and we are still welcome!! Great!! :lol:

Murfster

Most of us attendees were on the meal plan at the CEC so local restaurants wouldn't see any of us other than running in to get the cache clue. Now if it were a Tavern than that would be a different story. Clue plus a pint? :(

Cheers, Olar