Geowoodstock2

I wrote to the geocacher in question, and I was a bit less charitable than Carleenp was. Still, I offered to answer any questions, provide tracklogs and other proof of our accomplishments, etc. I never heard a word back.

It is very easy to post something in a forum. It is another thing altogether to look the person you're accusing straight in the eye, or even in an e-mail exchange. I won't hold my breath looking for a response.

July 14 by Doc-Dean (403 found)

I am bummed out reading all these logs since I was not able to make it this year!! But I am already looking forward to next year...

I would agree with the folks from the Jacksonville, Florida area that they are a very logical choice for next year's event. I live about 5-600 miles from Jax but went up there for a weekend cache-a-thon. My group hit 112 caches in 24 hours and would have very easily done more if we were not hampered by 8 hours of pouring rain (ever try to find a micro or nano at night in pouring rain??) and one member of the team getting ill. I can attest that we saw a large variety of different types of caches and some amazing camoflage ideas. Just read any of the "Stress-House" series of caches to see an example. We also hit many different environments during our run - from beaches, to parks, to the woods, to small and large urban centers and Paintfiction's Anti-Micro crusade had me finding regular sized caches (ammo boxes, not tiny tuppaware) in places I would have never thought possible to hide anything but a micro. My experiences in Jax and at other events in the state has shown that NEFGA is highly organized and a very active group in their local area as well as state-wide. Several of the members are key members in the on-going organization of the Florida Geocaching Assocation.

I'm Doc-Dean and I approve this commercial! :unsure:

one actually had a choice to sing a patriotic song or a song from the original woodstock. sbux did a great job with a joe cocker song. a little six year old reciting the pledge of allegiance was endearing. i wanted a little music while we were there. and boy, did i get it. thanks everybody for adding their musical talents to the caching experience.

sis

one actually had a choice to sing a patriotic song or a song from the original woodstock. sbux did a great job with a joe cocker song. a little six year old reciting the pledge of allegiance was endearing. i wanted a little music while we were there. and boy, did i get it. thanks everybody for adding their musical talents to the caching experience.

sis

Sis, I sang to you, so "talent" might not be an appropriate word........

I'm with you fly46 on the no-singing talent scale. Lucky for me sis added woodstock songs to the offer. The F-I-S-H cheer required no talent whatsoever to get started ;) , and in a family environment got cut off with a proffered log book very quickly :P .

Good thing I'm talented with the cards. :P

So if we did come to JAX next year what would the musical entertainment be? :o

We are in the process of selecting a site for next years “Third Annual Geo-Woodstock” 

All areas in the US will be considered, if your area would like to co-host the event post it here, with why it should be in your area and what kind of physical support you have.

I would vote for somplace more centrally located. There does not need to be much 'cache density' to make me happy. The idea of staying awake 24 hours to find caches 200+ doesn't appeal to me. Just like GWSII, the next GWS should be about the people, place and events. If I could go someplace awesome, interesting and breathtaking (I know, this is starting to sound melodramatic), then I could find (10) caches and be completely happy. I would prefer:

nice weather - low heat & humidity

great scenery - mountains, forests, high cliffs, etc.

wide open space - campground with plenty of room

fewer insects - if thats possible

lots of geocachers - this is the most important

So, someplace in Colorado would be good. Estes Park or another park located away from the city. Maybe someplace in the Great Smokey Mountains. Just my 2 cents.

I have to say, though, the people lobbying for Florida seem to know what they're talking about.

People traveling to this are there to cache and have fun... Regardless if they're in it for numbers... I think Florida seems to have a great deal of good options - for micros, multis, 'real caches', or whatever you'd like to go for.

Colorado has it's perks, too, but how many people would really be able to go there?

I have to say, though, the people lobbying for Florida seem to know what they're talking about.

People traveling to this are there to cache and have fun... Regardless if they're in it for numbers... I think Florida seems to have a great deal of good options - for micros, multis, 'real caches', or whatever you'd like to go for.

Colorado has it's perks, too, but how many people would really be able to go there?

hotter and muggier than heck in the summer though.

I'd be able to make it! :P

Colorado is centrally located, doesn't get too hot in the summer.

Humidity? What's that?

Our very own CO Admin would be able to be there! :o

...don't forget Upinyachit...he'd be there too! ;)

also, I'm planning on visiting Florida in 2006. We can have GeoWoodstock IV in Florida then.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

music will be whatever we bring. the voices i heard at woodstock 2 were the best. i mean it. you guys were great. off key and all. some of you were talented, too. all of you brave...or addicted to geocaching. :P i enjoyed the songs every one.

It was mentioned before about GW being alternated between the 4th of July and another date TBD. I think that is a good idea. Maybe it would be a good idea to also have it at a different area each year. This would be a good way for the local organizations to put their own spin on it and promote themselves a bit. If there is not a strong local group to sponsor it, I don't think it would go very well. It would also allow cachers who may not be able or afford to travel very far a chance to participate when it gets close to their area.

That being said, Michigan and Wisconsin both have pretty active and well established groups. And being a little further north, the weather may be a bit milder. Atlanta would be good- Stone Mt. is a lovely area and I'm sure there are others.

Would it be good to start another thread seperate from this one?

A question to the organizers of the past two: How far in advance do you think it should start to be planned?

Even though I couldn't make it to GWSII because of family reasons, the long holiday weekend was more appealing. Less people had to take time off from work to make the trek. Anyway, if you want to make this a national event, consider places that have cheap airfare and lodging. Places like Nashville, Los Angeles, Vegas, and Orlando are usually cheaper to fly to then many other places. For example, flying out of NYC, Denver usually costs $100-200 more in airfare then LA does, even though you fly right over CO on the way. Stuff to consider.

Even though I couldn't make it to GWSII because of family reasons, the long holiday weekend was more appealing. Less people had to take time off from work to make the trek.

The long holiday weekend may have been true for some people for GWS2, but it wasn't a long holiday weekend for many others and often the 4th of July doesn't even fall on a weekend; that's why I'd also like to see it alternate: weekend closest to 4th of July on even-numbered years, another weekend on odd-numbered years.

As mentioned before, family obligations (with dedicated non-cachers) will cause a problem on the holiday weekend for some of us every year.

Colorado and Florida both sound like good host sites.

I would hardly call Colorado centrally located...

If I had a vote, I would vote for Nashville again.. why hijack their, event?

Or Jacksonville, because there is alot of caches around there, and I would take an ocean view over a mountain view any day, and there are all sorts of different caches for every level of cacher down there. I would gladly make the drive from NY (not city) to FL for an event like that! NEFGA seems to be an A Plus organization, and I'm sure they would do the tradition well.

And yes I realize FL isn't exactly central either.

Edited by OurWoods
I would hardly call Colorado centrally located...

I agree... It seems to me that most of the top cachers in the US are in the eastern or central time zones, making something costal a tad more central than waaaay out west somewhere like colorado.

Just want to point out, in Jacksonville's favor, we have a number of posts written by people who live in Jacksonville and who have sponsered events in Jacksonville offering to commit to putting on primo event in Jacksonville. While I'm not suggesting that Jax doesn't stack up in relation to the many other important critera mentioned, THIS has to be near the top of any list of sight selection critera. We're suited up and ready to play!

Edited by IceCreamMan
Just want to point out, in Jacksonville's favor, we have a number of posts written by people who live in Jacksonville and who have sponsered events in Jacksonville offering to commit to putting on primo event in Jacksonville. While I'm not suggesting that Jax doesn't stack up in relation to the many other important critera mentioned, THIS has to be near the top of any list of sight selection critera. We're suited up and ready to play!

This is an excellent point. It seems like the Florida folks have really stepped up to the plate when it comes to providing the support needed for an event this large to go as smoothly as it did in Nashville this year. :unsure:

This is an excellent point. It seems like the Florida folks have really stepped up to the plate when it comes to providing the support needed for an event this large to go as smoothly as it did in Nashville this year. :unsure:

That's just because we're more laid back in the Mountain Time Zone...give the Colorado cachers some time to check out this thread :unsure:

This is an excellent point. It seems like the Florida folks have really stepped up to the plate when it comes to providing the support needed for an event this large to go as smoothly as it did in Nashville this year. :tired:

That's just because we're more laid back in the Mountain Time Zone...give the Colorado cachers some time to check out this thread :unsure:

Hehehe, Keep after them, Sax Man. Don't let the Eastern Seaboard push their swamp infested, alligator biting, baracuda killing, hotter than heck state of Florida on the rest of the world. :unsure:

Don't let the Eastern Seaboard push their swamp infested, alligator biting, baracuda killing, hotter than heck state of Florida on the rest of the world.  :unsure:

I resent that! We're not hotter than heck, we're at least 1/2 a degree cooler :tired: Plus thier's is a dry heat so it's really no comparision. Besides, ya ain't got to watch out for gators on all our caches. On some you have to look out for chicks (er.. I mean adult female homo sapians) in bikini's :unsure: Those 2 issues aside, North Florida would make a great spot for GeoWoostock III !

I wanted to throw my 2 cent's worth in here and say I DEFINITELY vote for Jacksonville for the next one. And not only because I live here and it would be incredibly convenient for me. :unsure: Being a rookie here in Jax with a measley 119 finds, I can attest to the fact that the cachers here are some of the friendliest people around. And 'avid' doesn't quite do the caching around here justice; 'voracious' is probably more like it. But a nice, friendly kind of voracious. I went to my first event, the Trivial Cache Adventure Series Extravaganza last month. And the Campout afterwards. I can't remember the last time I was made to feel so welcome! Or had so much fun. I knew, just based on the very little interaction I had had with other local cachers at the time, that this would be a fun and well-planned event. I went in with high expectations and they were surpassed by a mile. Well, four, actually haha (read the logs!)

I remember sitting around the scented candle with everyone at the campout and saying, "Seems like I couldn't have had a better place to get started in caching". Everyone agreed (of course). And not out of snobbery, but I think just because they are proud of the community they've created and what they have built here. The more time goes by, the more keenly aware I am of this fact. Cachers around here take the sport seriously and know how to get smileys, plan kick-a** events, have a great time, and be kind and considerate to each other. All at the same time!

Also, did anyone mention that there's a lot of caches in Jacksonville? No? Well, there are. And I'm about to put out some beach access micros in Fernandina (nearby) for those who want to cache in between checking out chicks in bikinis. :unsure:

How's that for 2 cents?

Well it certainly sounds like JAX has thrown the gauntlet down, and offered to host next year's GW3 event. Is any other area going to step up and offer them a challange? :unsure:

Of course we would also need the fantastic hosts of the first two Geowoodstocks in Nashville to agree the pass the scepter.

(Don't ya just love how those two medieval metaphors mesh together? :tired: )

All I know is I'm there no matter where it's held because it is a fantastic event.

Oh and there's that little matter of moving the date from the Fourth of July Weekend. I think the hosting community gets to make that call.

Just my nickel...... :unsure:

Hmmm, let's see. Jax is very dense and apt to increase this factor if hosting such an event. A wide variety of caches (some verrry easy and some verrrrryyyyy hard). A geocommunity that has experienced Nashville and has hosted many events. Plus, there are the extras that would appeal to those that have to compromise (close to theme parks, great camping, tourist-like places to entertain the non-avid family members). Oh, yeah, did I say we believe that it is all about the numbers?

So, we have a cache-rich environment, family-friendly distractions, event loving hosts, and the penchant to share and spread this most lovely obsession. Oh, yeah, we do like to pump the numbers- did I mention that already?

So, if a little southern adventure with some 4 wheelin' options interest you, then come on down here and enjoy yourself. And if you want to just take some long hikes in a part of the country that offers some of the most primal scenery, that is in the offing as well.

I can assure you that the Northeast Florida Geocachers Association and the Florida Geocaching community will put on a fine show for all!

If you would be so kind as to point me to the group and/or forum that is blasting CCCooper, I'd be more than pleased to verbally "rip them a new one"

Oh. Please don't. I already apologized there for cross-posting very sketchy details into this thread and thus essentially inviting some posters from this forum to attack our guys, before they even got a chance to rethink their words. And the cacher who cringed about CCC in our local forum also apologized and deleted his passage. So everything is back to norm :blink: and a fresh dose of flack may be unhelpful.

I have a good deal of respect to CCC BTW, although haven't had luck to meet her yet.

At least we got something positive out of my near-troll ... i.e. very interesting messages from Carleen about the technology and organization and psychology behind the new record - Thanks!

Thanks MOCKBA!

My hat is off to you for righting a wrong!

Again, most sincerely,

Jim

A question to the organizers of the past two: How far in advance do you think it should start to be planned?

We in Florida are already discussing the requirements of putting on an event like this. I think this needs to be decided ASAP to allow as much time as possible for planning. Speaking for NEFGA, we're ready to get started immediately. We already have volunteers for various jobs.....

BTW..... For you non-number-seeking cachers, I would highly recommend the 4WD tour = decent find count in a day but absolutely beautiful scenery and a TOTAL blast! I bet you never thought you'd see a ravine or a bluff in Florida.... Check out the latest JEEP (Owners) Magazine for details and pictures.

Jim Coleman

NEFGA Promotions Director

I am going to open a new thread just for GW3 Event. This one was not really about it and is being taken over by it. Title will be simply: Geowoodstock 3 Event.

THANK YOU!

I don't think enough people have put in input since this topic is supposed to be about GeoWoodstock II. Please post anything else regarding the III event in the new topic.

Besides, ya ain't got to watch out for gators on all our caches. On some you have to look out for chicks (er.. I mean adult female homo sapians) in bikini's 

We saw some of those in Nashville!! No wait those weren't chicks they were ticks. :blink:

Just wanted to point out that there are no Lyme carrying tics in Florida.

...I'm about to put out some beach access micros in Fernandina (nearby) for those who want to cache in between checking out chicks in bikinis.  :(

Cachin' and eye candy! How's that for a great combo?

How about micros hidden in bikinis?? I am sure that can be arranged! :P

"um.. excuse me miss... I am geocaching and I, um... need to inspect your binkini." :o:blink:

I am going to open a new thread just for GW3 Event. This one was not really about it and is being taken over by it. Title will be simply: Geowoodstock 3 Event.

THANK YOU!

I don't think enough people have put in input since this topic is supposed to be about GeoWoodstock II. Please post anything else regarding the III event in the new topic.

Oops sorry, started reading from the top when I should have looked at the bottom first!