Locationless Cache Issues....

Kitch

About 3 months ago...

I contacted Mtn-Man and expressed my concern for 2 locationless caches that are poorly maintained.....

:blink: How can it be poorly maintained--You may ask??

Simple the cache owner hasn't been around (online geocaching.com) for a year.

People post items (cows and horses) that are breaking his own cache page rules.

Didn't Respond to my emails for "adoption" of the locationless caches.

:lol: So?

I adopted the caches with help from Mtn-man. Cleaned up a bunch of the "poor" duplicate posts on items and even the wrong items. This is a very time consuming issue as both caches have many many finds.

Smoke Report

Frozen in Time

Somehow I'm not sure how....he has "regained owner ship" on these two caches and that is fine with me as long as he is an ACTIVE owner.

But I'm a little concerned because I also got and email (i wish i didn't erase) from "him" that was almost a threat that if I didn't release his caches back to him Minnesota is not that far away to to "hijack" my caches. I'm also concerned because I find it hard to believe that he is still and ACTIVE cache owner!!!

mtn-man...I know you will be a "little" upset on my voice on this here but It upsets me.......(I spent a lot of time working on this) :)

Edited by Kitch
But I'm a little concerned because I also got and email (i wish i didn't erase) from "him" that was almost a threat that if I didn't release his caches back to him Minnesota is not that far away to to "hijack" my caches.

If this email was sent thru GC.com, they probably have a copy of it.

Somehow I'm not sure how....he has "regained owner ship" on these two caches and that is fine with me as long as he is an ACTIVE owner.

But I'm a little concerned because I also got and email (i wish i didn't erase) from "him"  that was almost a threat that if I didn't release his caches back to him Minnesota is not that far away to to "hijack" my caches. I'm also concerned because I find it hard to believe that he is still and ACTIVE cache owner!!!

MMmm.... Sounds like my son that has a toy he never plays with, but doesn't want to share it with his sister, or put it out for the garage sale. It just there and he owns it.

Shane

TwentySeven....

At least you found the "Rootbeer" when I was the cache owner!!!

(one more thing)

I was so nice that I only changed the cache pages to reflect that....

he created the pages and I adopted them....

such as

"by SmokeyBear (adopted by:Kitch)"

heck...I should have at least changed the "pages" to make them look nice maybe some cool colors, background, photos, etc..

mtn-man...I know you will be a "little" upset on my voice on this here but It upsets me.......(I spent a lot of time working on this) :blink:

Not upset at all. It is sad that the cache owner would not respond to anyone before now and then responds with threats. That behavior is shameful at best.

Please make sure you email the contact address regarding the threats. They will have copies of emails, but there are a lot of emails so if you can even pin down a date range that would be helpful. You have been a very responsible and active cacher in MN and with the MnGCA in general. Your hidden caches never have any problems and you follow the guidelines to the letter.

The cache owner has found two caches 14 months ago, two caches 19 months ago and then other caches more than 2 years ago for a total of 12 caches found. I will check my email at home later, but from our discussion it seems they had not logged onto the site for almost 10 months when we were discussing adoption. I am glad you did as I asked and tried to contact him first several times to no avail. I can email our exchange to the contact address if needed as well (some of which I did during the adoption request exchange).

Simple...it was the day the last day he logged onto GC.com which was Friday.

After I got back home from the Cabin on LATE Sunday Night I was reading my emails and erased it by accident.

(of course I think I did it when I erased all my watchlist caches) (3 days worth is a ton).

somethings never change!!!!

first off...look at this

Frozen in Time -locationless cache. the profile of the owner shows he's not around since Friday, September 17, 2004.

hmm o.k. I'll give him that....but maintain your cache!!!!

On your cache page it says you can only log the locationless ONE time...

now...to be a jerk about this....

:lol: November 7 by B3Fiend

:lol: October 29 by B3Fiend

.................... :lol:

:lol: I was hesitant to reply here, but is it really that big of a deal that someone logged this cache twice? Does it even effect you? He found 2 distinct objects that met the criteria. Maybe he found one and his wife found the other. maybe they were both good examples and the owner gave permission for him to log both. Either way, I feel they both meet the requirements of the cache and adds value to the cache, so there really shouldn't be an issue and in all honesty, why lose sleep over what someone else is doing if it really doesn't do any harm to anyone.

It obviously brought the user enjoyment or happiness to log it a 2nd time, so let it be. That's why I love geocaching so much, becuase it always (well unless people become jerks, I still believe most are good natured) brings happiness to me an my son. Everyone plays the game differently, there are no set of rules, we all make our own judgements, if it does no harm to anyone, just let it be and continue on with your own caching adventures and go out and find some caches and not be concerned what others do. :lol:

I hope that came through in a nice way, because that is the way I intended it to. I like to see people happy in life and not spoil things for others.

But the "rules" of the cache page says you can only log it once....

I'm not saying that the cacher that "found" the cache 2x is in the wrong! I'm saying that the owner of the cache is wrong for poor cache ownership.

Its his rules....should be his responsiblity to maintain the cache to the rules posted on the page.

But if you want to "spin" it thats fine......lets say that the "location found" was the location that a 12 yr old kid found, took a picture of it, and tried to log it......

since this 12 yr kid plays by the rules......then find out she can't log it because another cache found the same exact "location or item".

Is that fair to another cacher??? NO its not!!!!

also what is to prevent a person from logging this same cache 100's of times???

(hmmm....watch out cachers and that record is going to fall for #'s of finds in a day)

**just because this is an easy cache....doesn't make the problem any less of an issue***

Edited by Kitch