Cobra Gps 100

I see no one talking about cobra gps 100's are they as bad as the reviews i am reading? I have one i might sale but am just curious as to what its worth? Its new only used a handful of times and extremely complicated to use.. I have had it a week and still not figured it out........oh well any help greatly appreciated--and remember if it out there you can find it-god bless alll

Let me start by saying that I have owner several Garmin products. I had a E-Trex Yellow, a Venture, a Vista, and now a 60CS. I have not nor ever will own a magellan, won't send a nickle to the french.

A lady at work showed up with a Cobra 100 and asked me to evaluate it for her. I did. I was not impressed. In fact, you might call it under-whelming! My old Yellow was far better, and the 60... well.... what can I say? *GRIN*

Let me end it by saying that after a few hours I gave it back to her, and advised her to get an E-Trex yellow, it was a far better unit. Dunno what she did with it, but it is her $$$$ and her business.

I believe that the Cobra 100 has no PC connection,

very bad decision.

Tried one overnight, was exremely unimpressed.

18 channels are at least 6 more than you can currently

use in the US. 12 active birds/hemisphere + 2 WAAS.

We have them in our store, and I believe only one has sold

since the beginning of October when we got them.

(The one that sold may have been a 500 model.)

Hmmmm.... well - you asked if they were as bad as you were hearing. I replied that in my opinion, YES, they were that bad. I told her to return it.

What more help did you want? Don't expect much more here, no one I know is using any cobra products effectively.

Seems you got a second opinion, basically saying the same thing.

Looks like you may have chosen poorly. Perhaps you can return it as defective and get something else, like a yellow E-Trex....

Good luck.

i was actually looking for help on using it from other users---i can't help the fact its a piece of trash in fact i still have to try to figure how to use the d@m* thing ! I appreciate all the help but in my opinion a opinion is not "technical how to use information" on a gps of any model.......its just like metal detector salesmen saying their model is better than brand "a" and vice versa---i apologize for sounding harsh but i was just wanting help.....it seems to lock on fast enough and it does work but i can't make it do what i think it should do.........thanks anyway

i was  actually looking for help on using it from other users---i can't help the fact its a piece of trash in fact i still have to try to figure how to use the d@m* thing ! I appreciate all the help but in my opinion a opinion is not "technical how to use information" on a gps of any model.......its just like metal detector salesmen saying their model is better than brand "a" and vice versa---i apologize for sounding harsh but i was just wanting help.....it seems to lock on fast enough and it does work but i can't make it do what i think it should do.........thanks anyway

Ok, I guess I wasn't the only one who read your opening post as a request for a review of the unit :laughing:

As for help working a cobra gps... Since next to no one has or uses that unit (at least that ever comes here), noone here is likely to be able to give you specific direction (back to the noone using them thing). Im sure many could tell you how it would be done on Garmin, Magellan (or maybe a lowrance user will pop by) model X. Which may or may not be helpful. :blink:

But to get back on topic, What is it you want it to do it isn't doing?

/edit add a couple works so it makes more sense...

Edited by welch
are they as bad as the reviews i am reading? I have one i might sale but am just curious as to what its worth?

Here is the basis of what I understood you wanted to know. I replied with the information you requested as your message is quoted herein.

My answer was YES they are that bad, and RETURN IT IF YOU CAN.

Sorry if you didn't ask the right question to produce the answer you wanted.

I do not own and will not buy a cobra. I cannot help you further, whatever the question might be. Good luck with it.

Alright , here it is........I looked up a Garmin etrex (the pretty yellow one) and downloaded the manual--guess what they explained everything to where my 8 yr old son could understand it.........i was able to cross reference my cobra gps 100 and it actually works.....I went to little rock to take my wife to the doctor and played with it on the way home-the speed ometer was dead on and it was real fast acquisitioning so , so far i am very happy--My hats off to Garmin for their superior explanation manuals! And all apologies go out to my fellow GPS'ers who put up with me in my hour of my temper tantrum--i honestly meant no harm and felt like i was being attacked and humiliated for buying a cobra gps---(this unit was traded for and i had never messed with a gps before) except the ones we used in the Army and they were alot easier to use---anyone God bless all of yall i'm going to go caching tomorrow so look world...... :unsure:

I see no one talking about cobra gps 100's are they as bad as the reviews i am reading? I have one i might sale but am just curious as to what its worth? Its new only used a handful of times and extremely complicated to use.. I have had it a week and still not figured it out........oh well any help greatly appreciated--and remember if it out there you can find it-god bless alll

Try epinions...

Cobra 100 Review

Cobra 500 Review

i used my gps 100 and found my first cache---it was easy to use and once i got there i was able to determine its accuracy........this unit is very accurate---acquisition time was fast--i had very little loss of satellite coverage throughout the whole shady walk----i would like to thank ma and pa for a wonderful first geo cache !!!!

I have the Cobra 100 (a free gift from my credit card company for being a good customer). I agree that it takes a little getting use to and it has no PC connection -

BUT- I find that it is very accurate (I have found 63 caches in 6 weeks since I started with Geocaching). I never failed to find a cache yet. At a local geocache picnic it was as accurate as any other unit there for the treasure hunts (and much more accurate than many of the units - especially in heavy overgrowth). You just need to get comfortable with it and customize the settings for your individual needs.