Electronic Compass

Mohonk

The built in electronic compass in my Vista is very handy. Keeps one hand free as mentioned and it make caching a little easier. The built in compass also also projecting waypoint and taking a bearing easier.

Inside a car, the GPS satellites are really all you need since I've found that mounting the unit on the windshield always keep the satellites locked. So you always have an accurate reading as long as the car is moving. However, if you're stopped, you will lose the correct readings as the compass itself dosn't work right by itself due to all the metal.

Good luck

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

However, if you're stopped, you will lose the correct readings as the compass itself dosn't work right by itself due to all the metal.

Good luck

Alan

I always thought the same would be true with my MeriPlat, but I went ahead and did a North bearing outside the car and inside the car and there was no difference.

I'm thinking because it is electronic and not magnetic, it isn't going to be effected by the metal as easily as a magnetic one is. You just have to be sure the compass is calibrated correctly without any metal nearby to interfere with that calibration.

Cheers!

TL

I use a Sport trak pro, when I'm driving I have it on the "map" screen, but once I'm on foot I switch to the compass screen. I've found that it's very accurate as long as I'm walking.

I would never suggest not bringing along a

non-electronic compass though. They don't need batteries and they aren't affected by the trees, or weather.

OG

Prophetically Challenged

quote:
Originally posted by Og's outfit:

I would never suggest not bringing along a

non-electronic compass though. They don't need batteries and they aren't affected by the trees, or weather.

OG

Prophetically Challenged

Agreed. I carry one and a paper map to act as backup. My MeriPlat compass isn't affected by trees or weather though when I'm using in it's standalone capacity rather than as a GPS pointer, so it is with ease of use to have only one device in hand rather than 2 devices.

Cheers!

TL

About the electronic compass being affected by vehicles, I've found it really matters what type of car and where in the car you have it. With my MeriPlat (in a Camaro, fiberglass body), between the seats, the compass points true. If I move it to the windshield, mid-car, it always points to the engine. In a Honda, the compass points to the nearest wall most of the time. To simplifiy it I just keep it set to use GPS course instead of magnetic north when I have it in the car.

Hope this help,

-W

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It's useful, but not necessary. I wouldn't pay extra money just to have a unit with an electric compass.

_"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"_

It wasn't just for the compass that I went the extra bucks for the MeriPlat. The barometer and thermometer also played part in that purchasing decision. In the NW it is handy to know what your weather is capable of doing in these mountains and having a mini-weather station is helpful.

Cheers!

TL

What's nice about an electronic compass is that while you are standing around with your GPS scratching you head the pointer stays pointed at the cache.

My kids assume that my GPS V and the SPort Track Pro work like that but you have to be moving since you don't have an electronic compass with them. This concept is very hard to explain to a 10 year old.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by wfosborn:

I can't believe with all the information we wrote in here, every single one of us until Renegade did not mention that unless it's an electric compass, it won't work if you aren't moving . . .

Ummmm... ahem.... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

My MeriPlat compass isn't affected by trees or weather though when I'm using in it's standalone capacity rather than as a GPS pointer

Cheers!

TL

Since I keep my Vista vertically in the windshield mount, the electronic compass cannot work properly. It can only work in the horizontal position. The arrow always is wrong until you start moving the car then the satellites will correct the arrow. Actually I haven't tried it horizontally in the car, but since the compass does work on magnetism, I think, metal in the car will effect the reading even in that position. I recalll that someone once mentioned a while back that if you recalibrate the Vista in the car, it might work. Of course you have to drive around in a circle twice, but that might work. Anyone try it?

Alan

I have calibrated other electronic compasses in a car that way, but not a Vista. Tried with my MeriPlat and I couldn't get the calibration to take in the car (Also couldn't do it by driving in circles, had to rotate the thing in place.) It kept detecting all the metal nearby and telling me to move it and try again. One nice thing with the MeriPlat's compass as well is it is 3-axis, so it works vertically and horizontally (But I have noticed a very slight drift in the vertical position.)

A few years I ago I got a Brookstone electronic compass. I use this for caching, but also have an old fashion magnetic compass for backup. The compass has a lanyard to wear around your neck. As well as the compasss it has an alarm clock and thermometer. Its great for camping or napping in the car before work. I've seen the same compass in the heartland america catalog for much less money too.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by brianmcm:

A few years I ago I got a Brookstone electronic compass. I use this for caching, but also have an old fashion magnetic compass for backup. The compass has a lanyard to wear around your neck. As well as the compasss it has an alarm clock and thermometer. Its great for camping or napping in the car before work. I've seen the same compass in the heartland america catalog for much less money too.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you all, never expected this much feedback so quickly.

I also had a Brookstone e-compass but found it very erratic (on my first winter hike in the white mtns). Back it went. I also received a Helix WRKS watch as a gift, which claimed to have a live compass, therm, alti, & baro. Only the therm worked consistently - usually a little cooler than my wrist. The Timex techies told me that because I frequented 'at/near-sea-level' locations, I should place it in the freezer for a few hrs and then recalib! They did not appreciate my question on how long to defrost in the micro! Back that went. Oh, the manual had alot of snide hip lingo and not much actual instruction.

What I gather from prior posts is the e-compass is not that important for caching, could be helpful, and might be more important for camping, trekking... Based on my mishaps above, I'm leaning towards the highly acclaimed MagPlat.

[This message was edited by Gunks on May 30, 2003 at 07:56 PM.]