I Think I Need A Donkey With Me

5¢

I have a milk crate in the truck that is packed with geocaching supplies. I grab a few things out of it when I get out to look for a cache. However, i'm usually carrying my GPS, digital camera, PDA, keys, flashlight, beverage, and at least one kid. I need a pack mule too. Do they sell them at REI? :o

i got mine at "mules r us" :D

I have a milk crate in the truck that is packed with geocaching supplies. I grab a few things out of it when I get out to look for a cache. However, i'm usually carrying my GPS, digital camera, PDA, keys, flashlight, beverage, and at least one kid. I need a pack mule too. Do they sell them at REI? :o

I have a milk crate packed with stuff I need also... although I usually never get to unpack my geobackpack: EB04IE_0230652_100C1.jpg

-Six

We hear you there! It used to be just the GPS and a trading item in the pocket, then we added the compass, local maps, digital camera, laptop for tracking position with the GPS on a map, water for the longer hikes, spare batteries (AA for everything but the laptop...), bug spray (don't want to get West Nile...), suntan lotion, and for those really long searches in rural areas, extra fuel (both for the car AND us). Oh, and for the caches we bring the cat along on, the spare litterbox for travelling. If you bring a cat, don't forget the litter - cats take a long time to forgive.

~Jared and Tanis (and Joey, the geocaching cat)

I am the donkey in the family.

I always take my day pack (Kelty Ricochet) with me with all my gear in it.

GPS

Trade Goods

Maps

First Aid Kit

Bug spray

TP

Rope

Duct Tape

Binoculars

Digital Camera

Batteries

Hand sanitizer

Garbage bags

Geocache repair kit

Water

Compass

Cell phone

String

Gun

FRS radios

Munchies

Rain poncho

Survival kit

All together it weighs about 18 pounds (with full water bladder).

To add to the misery, the kids like to put any pretty rock they find in the pockets of the pack as we hike along. Last week I swear I was packing over 30 pounds by the time we got back to the car.

Problem with carrying a bag is, when the phone rang or I wanted to take a picture, the thing I needed was always at the bottom of the bag. Finally, I got a fishing vest. Phone, top right. Flashlight, pens, Swiss army knife, middle right. PDA, bottom right. GPS, top left. Notebook and trinkets, bottom left. Keys, middle left. Compass hanging off a tab at convenient spot. I carry a small oilskin bag for the rest.

Ah, yes. Nothing says "outpatient clinic" quite like a middle-aged woman in a fishing vest hung with stuff. I really need to be pushing a shopping cart and muttering to myself about Them.

I have a 13' tall, 9' wide, 27'long truck loaded with suff. It doesn't fit on the trails too good but I have LOTS of toilet paper, just in case.

Seriously, a shoulder bag with notebook, pens and trade items, maybe a bottle or two of water and my GPS. I rarely do any lengthy hikes due to my fondness for tobacco products and Oreos.

:D I paid $2.50 for a wonderful Rubbermaid case, bright blue, red handle - sort of a kid's overnight thing. Snacks, water, gps, bug spray, lots of swag, sunblock, cache pages, it all can stay in there. Sometimes we take an ice cooler too. On the trail, the gps and some small items in a belt-clip camera case, page in pocket, gps out, and if it's long, water clipped to belt, knife in pocket, spray in pocket, ...but I still need PDA, camera, replacement log, pencil, and ziploc....anything else? I have a pair of trail pants with extra zippered pockets. :o

Wallyworld has a neat milk crate with a canvas cover(like a milk crate in a canvas bag), and a rubberized shoulder strap for carrying it. It has a bunch of pockets all around the outside to carry GPS, compass, all sorts of utensils...and the best part..its $19.95 in the sporting section.

Edited by woof n lulu

I've just got a small backpack that carries my cameras and all of their goodies. The bag also has my signature jigs, packed in film canisters, as well as my pda. I have the rino clip on straps of the pack so I can set it up there, and sometimes I clip my MD player to the backpack, or a bottle of water.

I am the donkey in the family.

I always take my day pack (Kelty Ricochet) with me with all my gear in it.

GPS -CHECK

Trade Goods - CHECK

Maps - CHECK

First Aid Kit -CHECK

Bug spray - NOPE

TP - GOOD THINKING - I DO HAVE PAPER TOWLES

Rope - WHAT FOR!

Duct Tape - NOPE

Binoculars - CHECK

Digital Camera - CHECK

Batteries - CHECK - FOR CAMERA AND THE GPS

Hand sanitizer - CHECK

Garbage bags - CHECK (DOGGIE BAGS)

Geocache repair kit (EXPLAIN)

Water - CHECK

Compass - CHECK

Cell phone - WIFE

String - NOPE

Gun - YOWEEE - NOPE

FRS radios - CHECK

Munchies - WIFE

Rain poncho - GOOD IDEA

Survival kit - DON'T THINK I NEED ONE W/CELL PHONE

All together it weighs about 18 pounds (with full water bladder).

To add to the misery, the kids like to put any pretty rock they find in the pockets of the pack as we hike along. Last week I swear I was packing over 30 pounds by the time we got back to the car.

See my notes in your quote -

plus I carry pens - flashlight - personal log book - leatherman tool - I like the vest idea too -

wife (no you all better not say that's your mule if you want her to keep helping!)

Wife carries some of her own goodies and all the cache papers I print of the web site and the associated maps from same.

further I walk with a cane because I have a broken back and that limits me to only one hand.

And the punch line here is that I do it with a realatively small belt pouch.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?_encoding=UTF8

they are out of them but I want another -

Rope - WHAT FOR!

I have no idea actually. I always have it with me though. 25 feet nylon rope. Someday it will come in handy.

Geocache repair kit (EXPLAIN)

Kit contains spare log books, pencils, pens, duct tape, rubber bands, stash note, etc. I use it to fix up caches that have seen better days.

Survival kit - DON'T THINK I NEED ONE W/CELL PHONE

Cell phone coverage is not that great up here. If you venture off the highway or into the hills, you will get spotty reception. Rescue can take several hours to over night if you are hurt or lost. Best to play it safe. Cell batteries die, survival kit lasts for years.

Gun - YOWEEE - NOPE

This could be called part of the survival kit. Bears and moose do not care if you mean them no harm. They will hurt or kill you if you get too close or find yourself between a momma and her cub/calf. Folks have been attacked by moose in Anchorage and several years ago two people were killed by a grizzly not 15 minutes from town. I don't take it for micros or city park caches, but it is with me when the trail is longer than a quarter mile. I have run across fresh bear scat several times while out goecaching as well as a couple black bears at an event cache last year.

I guess you could say I like to be safe rather than sorry. Others call it paranoia. :blink:

Ha! - ya I have that mentality some times - "may come in handy some day"

In Alaska I can see it - as with the gun - I live in the city and carying a gun can get you in big trouble - trouble is - sometime you can get in big trouble if you don't have one. Just can't win.

The cache repair kit is a nice idea - I have run into a couple that could use a little help - some just need cleaning off. I wonder what people think when they find my first cache - I glued some shredded bark ( yard cover ) onto the container. Came out pretty good actually.

Survival Kit in Alaska sounds like a necessity - in the city - heavy.

I took my larger leather man tool out for a smaller one - then tried to use the scissors the other day - arg - would not cut a small string - back to the larger (good) one!

:blink:

Edited by CompuCash

My survival kit does not weigh much at all.

Space blanket which doubles as signal mirror.

Water purification tabs.

Waterproof matches and some tinder.

Couple instant hand warmers.

Couple high energy/high calorie ration bars.

Weighs less than a pound. I already have the first aid kit and the rope I have no use for in my pack so there is no need to double up. Only thing the kit is intended to do is keep you warm and such in case a day hike turns into an overnight campout. :blink:

I generally bring the following with me, I have a geo-backpack I leave packed:

• GPS Unit
  • Water (16 ounce nalgene bottle and 96 ounce nalgene canteen)
  • First-aid kit
  • duct tape
  • cell phone
  • wallet with cash and cards and license
  • lighter
  • backwoods cigars
  • printouts of all caches to be visited (with topozone maps)
  • spare batteries for GPS and camera
  • Leatherman Multi-tool
  • whistle
  • compass
  • digital camera
  • cache repair kit
  • Pen, pencil, paper, personal logbook
  • goodies for trade
  • tp and tiny shovel
  • gloves
  • baseball cap
  • lightweight long underwear
  • jerky and hard candy
  • emergency blanket
  • 2 garbage bags
  • pre-made cache for spur-of-the-moment hiding

This all ends up weighing about 20 pounds, including the backpack, but I can carry it without problems, and it saves me the hassle of deciding what to bring each time I go out. :blink:

nfa

I generally just take the following:

GPS

Cache printout(s)

pen/pencil

Depending on location:

water

map

compass (backup)

digicam

2m HT (ham radio)

depending on location and how I feel:

handgun w/ chl

that's it for me. I used to do the 20 lbs backpack thing, but it just turned out that I only used a couple of things out of it and usualy not very often. So I now go the light weight route. Since I rarely have time to do the more remote caches it works out just fine.

Edited by Gloom
[
Gun - YOWEEE - NOPE

This could be called part of the survival kit. Bears and moose do not care if you mean them no harm. They will hurt or kill you if you get too close or find yourself between a momma and her cub/calf. Folks have been attacked by moose in Anchorage and several years ago two people were killed by a grizzly not 15 minutes from town. I don't take it for micros or city park caches, but it is with me when the trail is longer than a quarter mile. I have run across fresh bear scat several times while out goecaching as well as a couple black bears at an event cache last year.

I guess you could say I like to be safe rather than sorry. Others call it paranoia. :blink:

I carry mine for reasons like this...

Buck's Crossing Update - Cachers held at gunpoint, true story