Don't Look Down "event"

The owners of the Dont look Down cache are coming up and will be at the cache on Saturday 17th July to help those who REALLY want to do this cache. Its not been found for a while and the last couple have been notfounds but they are replacing the cache (if they cant find it).

Although it can't be an official cache event - people are welcome, 1st come first served (after me :-) ) to the cache - they suggest about 10 people can do the cache.

It would make a nice chance to meet up with some local cachers and also an opportunity to do a 5/5 cache which needs rope climbing equipment. You may want to post a note on here (or the cache I guess) if you intend to be there.

not sure, but if you contact the owner via their profile you can arrange times and contact details. I hope to be there about 9-10 onwards with the (digital) camera. Its congleton carnival in the afternoon which I want to get home for and take some more pictures so i'll be leaving about 12.30ish.

we'd have to find somewhere to discuss geocaching - doing a cache is not eligible for a cache event (shame). I don't know the area at all to be honest but I'm wondering if everyone brought a rug to sit on and a thermos then maybe we could discuss caching - whilst laughing at the terrified faces of the cachers at the top of the climb.

The nearest pub, which seems to be mentioned alot online, is The Winking Man,Buxton Road,Upper Hulme,Leek. I don't know if its any good - any local people been there? I'll try and see if I can contact the owner to see if they do food and open to holding a meet there.

Mr Moderator - how much notice do you need to activate an event cache?

EDIT: for possible pub meetup

Edited by DomHeknows

i'm hoping to be there from 9.30,10am until about 12, 12.30.

Apparently there is a nearer pub that the winking man but we don't know the name of it. I'll see if I can get a run out to it tomorrow night. The only problem with a pub meet is everyone meets at the pub whilst poor Liam and co are stuck on the hill waiting for everyone :-(

Yep I will be there around 9.30 as well then. Hope He has some hefty rope I am not as slim as I was :blink::lol: .

Do you think we should let aRRKS do it, dont think its fair that they have cleared up all the cheshire caches first I still have about 25 to do. But then I do live in Staffordshire :):P

Not sure whether I'll be able to make it (family wedding that day), but I will if I can.

Apparently there is a nearer pub that the winking man but we don't know the name of it.

There's the Rock Inn at Upper Hulme, which is about here. Has both carpeted and tiled bars, depending on how muddy (bloody?)you get! :blink: I'd suggest that if there's a pub event cache, that it doesn't start until everyone's "off the hill".

I've promised to help at the CITO event at Flint and have only just learned that it will be the same day - if we really are starting at 9.30 I may be able to do the cache and get over to Flint in time, foregoing the pleasures of the pub after and will have to think about it next week.

well after the alchemy quest last weekend and 4 caches yesterday I HAVE to find another cache to do before Saturday morning so that this one will be my 150th - seems an appropriate one to do. Met my first cacher in the field yesterday, so this week has/will be my most memorable geocaching (and the most active)

Regrettably, due to a prior engagement which might involve drinking copious amounts of alcohol in the Manchester area, we can't make the gig on Saturday. One thing has crossed my mind, though and that's the situation with parking up on the Roaches - I'm not sure what it's like now, but a few years ago it was quite difficult and I feel sure that in some parts of the obvious access road there are actually double yellow lines. Most of the parking spots are usually nicked by the climbers or walkers who get up at the crack of dawn. I seem to recall that a shuttle bus service was introduced to accommodate the walkers / climbers, which sets off from a car park in the vicinity of Titterstone reservoir, but it might well be worth somebody checking with the tourist information in Leek to confirm the current situation....

Apologies if this is a subject which has already been covered and also if my information is now out of date but we have been caught out up there a couple of times in the past. It's a fantastic area, well worthy of greater exploration, a visit to Lud's Church should not be missed !

Have a good time, all those who attend !

Martyn B

well after the alchemy quest last weekend and 4 caches yesterday I HAVE to find another cache to do before Saturday morning so that this one will be my 150th

See you have done it . as your one tonight puts you on 149. I was walking Jake over the fields at 6 but did not see You.

I think the cachers outnumbered the climbers on the roaches today, but only just. Had a great time with everyone who turned up - my photos are online from http://www.absoblogginlutely.net/absocachi...ive/004310.html

Absolutely brilliant pictures. I would have loved to have been there, but other commitments prevented that, but it looks like you all had a great time. Congratulations to all who completed this cache.

Yorkstan

That was brilliant. Many thanks to Liam and Sharon for their care of a gerieatric who probably ought to have had the rope round a different part of his body and to Brian and Andy for their photos. It was well worth the rush for me and I did get to Castle Clean Up - well too late to do any work but in time for food and fellowship. :blink: