First Cache our expierence

scontapay

Well I got interested in Geocaching after stumbling across some information on it. Right after work I went and got a GPSr a eTrex. Then I went home and asked my 6 year old son if he wanted to come. He excitedly screamed "Yes Daddy!". I rip open the box that my GPSr came in and start looking for the quick start guide. Fidgeted with it for a bit and grabbed two maps off that where really close to our home.

We left the house and started walking. We get to the first one and we kept walking back and forth for about 45 minutes. All the while we were right on top of the cache. I was filled with excitement as I opened it. I read the paper inside and grabbed for the log. Read it and my son was so overjoyed when he found a little plastic scube guy in there. I left the only thing I had on me at the time a Genesys pen which is like a Parker pen, its not a plastic BIC. I took several pictures and we were off to the next location which was nearby as well.

Well we searched that one for a bit but we were unable to find it icon_frown.gif It could just be that we are newbies to the hobby/sport. We will return Saturday and try again, we saw another geocacher at the time but I didn't say anything as I tried to be discreet and I do not know if there is a rule against talking to another geocacher for help.

Well we are 1 for 2 but we are definietly hooked. My son and I got another one planned for tomorrow icon_smile.gif

----------------

Question on the eTrex, when we got home I read the manual, is there any way to add a waypoint? Or do you need software and a cable? Since I got this from CircuitCity I was wondering if it would be best to get one of the higher models like the venture or legend?

Sam

--

"Geocaching is great! Have something to do with my son and get out an exercise"

Welcome to a new and addicting hobby! My wife and I started about two months ago, and I'm a full blown geocache junkie. My wife likes to go caching, but she isn't addicted like me. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

As for your question about waypoints and your eTrex. No you do not need to hook the GPSr to your computer to input a waypoint(although it is a lot easier). There are instructions on how to manually input a waypoint included in the manual. If you have anymore questions that the manual can't answer, feel free to email me and I'll help you out. Maybe we'll meet up on the trail!

BTW, try out some of the Fort Ord caches, they're a lot of fun!

Still in the Geocaching Closet.

quote:
Originally posted by scontapay:

we saw another geocacher at the time but I didn't say anything as I tried to be discreet and I do not know if there is a rule against talking to another geocacher for help.

No rules against meeting other cachers, but we do have a secret handshake. icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding. We've met several cachers on the trail. It's fun to chat with them, or get a hint from them, or watch them look for the cache you just found.

It's a big addiction. But as far I can tell, a harmless one. Great family bonding experience.

I just got started a couple weeks ago and am having a blast with the kids.

As for other GPS units, I got a Garmin Legend last week. Amazon.com has a great price and there is a 50 dollar rebate. I think the final price after rebate is $140. It has mapping ability and comes with the computer cable.

Have fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

Unless the manual has changed since I got my eTrex, it is not very clear on how to enter the first waypoint. I'm assuming you've not entered any waypoints to this point in time. The way to create a waypoint is to 'mark' a location and then edit that point. You can change the name, the location or any of the other parameters for the point.

Madog "Discover of America, ca 1169"

quote:
Question on the eTrex, when we got home I read the manual, is there any way to add a waypoint? Or do you need software and a cable? Since I got this from CircuitCity I was wondering if it would be best to get one of the higher models like the venture or legend?

How did you find the cache if you didn't add the waypoint?

I'm not familiar how to do it with the yellow eTrex, but it's quite easy with the Legend (which BTW you can now get at Amazon.com for $139, a real steal for a great unit).

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

Thanks everyone. BrianSnat the way I found it was by hitting 'Mark' and then editing the waypoint and then hitting 'GoTO' on the waypoint. I wanted to know if could 'Mark' my home and then add a second waypoint manually. I looked through the manual but it only shows how to Mark a waypoint and not just enter one.

Yes this is highly addictive. My son who has a plethora of other toys just kept playing with the plastic scuba guy he got last night icon_smile.gif We are looking to go on our next outing today afterwork weather permitting.

Sam

--

quote:
Thanks everyone. BrianSnat the way I found it was by hitting 'Mark' and then editing the waypoint and then hitting 'GoTO' on the waypoint. I wanted to know if could 'Mark' my home and then add a second waypoint manually. I looked through the manual but it only shows how to Mark a waypoint and not just enter one.

Yes you can. Just mark another waypoint and edit it the way you did for the first one. You can mark your home waypoint simply by hitting mark and leaving it. I asume you can also change the waypoint name with the yellow eTrex. Otherwise you just get a default waypoint number, starting with 001.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

One thing you might be a victim of is following the arrow for too long. You mentioned that you kept walking back and forth before you found your first and you failed to find the second.

Usually, I go to the first place my GSP takes me and let it rest. Stop following it. While its settling and getting a better fix on its location, I start looking for the cache. First I look in all the obvious places (like that pile of rocks or sticks, the hole in the tree, etc).

If I don't find it after a few minutes, then I'll recheck the GPS to see if it still thinks I'm close. By this time, it probably has a pretty good fix. I go to the new location (but don't keep following the arrow around the place), and look for the cache. If its not in the obvious places I do a more methodical search, moving out from ground zero.

This process works for me nearly every time.

we saw another geocacher at the time but I didn't say anything as I tried to be discreet and I do not know if there is a rule against talking to another geocacher for help.

I allways hope to find a geocacher at a cache, we are a strange bunch and only other cachers know why we search high and low for tuperware in the woods. I even have one of those cool stickers in the back of my car window to let others know I am around. You will really enjoy the folks you meet on the trail.

quote:
If I don't find it after a few minutes, then I'll recheck the GPS to see if it still thinks I'm close. By this time, it probably has a pretty good fix. I go to the new location (but don't keep following the arrow around the place), and look for the cache. If its not in the obvious places I do a more methodical search, moving out from ground zero.

I'm glad to see that I'm not to only one who uses the ground zero tag. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

To answer this question-How did you find the cache if you didn't add the waypoint?

You can just walk (or drive) with coordinates displayed on the GPSr and keep going until the coords for the cache match with the coords displayed on the GPSr. Once the waypoint and go-to feature is discovered it becomes so much easier to find the cache. Been there. Done that.

When I get to the 'zero point' or 'ground zero', I'll stand there and look around for the cache. My wife starts looking in obvious places right away. Neither way is 'more correct', we just hunt differently. If I don't spot the cache, I'll start circling out from the zero point in larger and larger circles.

BTW, I have found more caches than her.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

I'm guilty of leaving my GPS in the area of ground zero, but I can't get this feeling out of my head that someone is going to pop out of nowhere and snatch it! It is good practice to stop occasionally and let the unit catch up, it will decrease the chances of you over shooting the cache location.

Kar

Early in our caching career, there was a nearby cache that kept skunking us. On our second or third attempt, we were about ready to give up again, when another team happened by. They knew where the cache was already, so they watched us search fruitlessly for a long time. At least we were good for a laugh. They finally had to tell us to look up.. yep, the thing was suspended on a rope twenty feet overhead. We've never again failed to think three-dimensionally.

Sometimes, when we've run across other cachers at ground zero, they've wanted to re-hide the cache so we could find it ourselves, or they've wanted us to re-hide it when they weren't looking. Others just want to know how to put it back properly. How much contact other cachers want is a personal preference, though I certainly wouldn't hesitate to greet one in the field. Especially if they hear that you're new, they'd probably be happy to help out or give you some pointers.

Once more thank you everyone you have all been so kind. I wish I did take the time to greet the person I saw geocaching icon_frown.gif I just didn't want to break any 'rules' as I was still new. She happened to find the cache that skunked my son and I icon_smile.gif Oh well back there Saturday!

Sam

--

quote:
Originally posted by Smitherington:

To answer this question-How did you find the cache if you didn't add the waypoint?

You can just walk (or drive) with coordinates displayed on the GPSr and keep going until the coords for the cache match with the coords displayed on the GPSr. Once the waypoint and go-to feature is discovered it becomes so much easier to find the cache. Been there. Done that.

This is the way I have been doing it! Just walking around until the cache coords match the GPS coords. I didn't know there was another way!

LOL....Think it was answered before up there, but if it's similar to the Gecko 201, you just go to enter a "Mark". When you enter it, you edit it the little icon , the name, the coordinates and etc. Then when done and you clikc the "OK" it sets the mark you just made as a waypoint. Since we don't have a cable. I just find the cache(s) on here that we want to go and find. I print out the thing without the log. Then I take and enter the caches as marks. Several at a time. Then they show up on my GPS map (not a real map, but the map feature it has). You can then see the waypoints.If you are entering several caches into your system at once, then use the following to easily identify them. When entering your marks(waypoints) into your GPSr and are getting ready to set the name, use the 6 digit (aplha-numeric) code that the Geocaching website has for them. I highlight them on the sheets to easily find them. Then when I see a cache on the little map, I can easily tell which one it is by referring to the printout. The printout also has general directions on how to get to where you park. It's easier to put that 6 digit code rahter than just "Cache". Also mine only allows up to 6 letters/numbers for the name anyways.

Ok, i need to shut up. I'm beginning to think I'm an expert after one find...lol

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

Thanks for the instructions!! I did read the manual, but obviously not enough. I have been writing down the cache info, zooming in on the mapquest maps to see where it is in general, then using the GPS to go the rest of the way. this works well for urban caches, but I probably need to start doing it the right way especially if I'm doing multiple caches at a time or out in the wild somewhere. Thanks for the time and patience!

No problem mozartman. If you use that little tip I told about putting the codenames on there and you put a whole bunch in your GPSr, then when you are out and about and doing something else, you can turn on the GPSr(if not already on) and see what cache is near you. You may be right off the road from one. I think it helps to put in as many waypoints (marks) of caches you are interested in and print them out too. What we did was fold the papers in half and stick them in our digital camera bag and took it with us. We went to another town for shopping yesterday and on our way home, we found 1 of the 3 caches we had entered in our system. Tonight or tomorrow I will probably enter and print out more. Never know where you gonna end up at. We were less than a mile from a second one yesterday and didn't realize it till today.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com