Can't Send Waypoint To 60cs

After updating to Beta software 3.42 and when using GSAK to the serial port on the 60cs I now get a error message (No DLE Garmin can't initiate com 1 )When tring to send 500 waypoints to the gps.I have not changed my routine and have not had any problems to this date the only change has been the software from Garmin!!!!! I have had no problems converting to My palm I realize they have totaly different systems. Any Ideas? :)

After updating to Beta software 3.42 and when using GSAK to the serial port on the 60cs I now get a error message (No DLE Garmin can't initiate com 1 )When tring to send 500 waypoints to the gps.I have not changed my routine and have not had any problems to this date the only change has been the software from Garmin!!!!! I have had no problems converting to My palm I realize they have totaly different systems. Any Ideas? :)

Looks like to me that something on your computer has still got control of your COM1 Port. As you mention the palm, I'll bet you still have "active sync" (sorry I don't have a plam so am not sure of the terminology) running and that is why your get the error (so would any other software that then tried to use com1)

To make sure, try rebooting your computer and do the send again.

Clyde, I am having the same problem. I just sent maps to my 60C without any problem, but can't send waypoints--it just says Sending Waypoints... indefinitely. I am thinking it is a setting problem but I don't know what.

Come to think of it, I had this problem before I started using cachemate and I have only used EasyGPS to send waypoints to my 60C.

Thanks

Clyde, I am having the same problem.  I just sent maps to my 60C without any problem, but can't send waypoints--it just says Sending Waypoints... indefinitely.  I am thinking it is a setting problem but I don't know what.

Come to think of it, I had this problem before I started using cachemate and I have only used EasyGPS to send waypoints to my 60C.

Thanks

Your problem is not the same, as you are not getting any error message.

In Tools=>Options set on debug and let me know if you see any error messages.

If your operating system is windows ME you could try the "fix windows ME freeze problem" and try again.

options1.png

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde, I can send and receive waypoints using mapsource with either the serial or the usb ports i tried them both? and the serial cable is connected to Com 1 and the mapsource software detects it as such?

Thanks for your time!!!!

Jack

Clyde, I thought I would send you the exact text in the error message, Maybe that would shed some light? It says (ERROR Sending Waypoints:GPS_packet_read: no DLE Garmin: Can't int com1)?

Jack

GSAK uses GPSBabel "under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPS, so unfortunately this is where my expertise ends.

I suggest you state your problem on the GPSBabel lists here

Analyzing this problem will require the use of debug mode in GPSBabel. Robert Lipe may describe how to do this via the command line interface but to make things easier I have now included a check box for "debug" on the GPS send dialog. Just check this box and try the send again. You will still get the same error, but a lot more information. All this extra information is also copied to the windows clipboard, so you can just paste it into the email you send to the list.

debug1.png

Edited by ClydeE

Yes, Clyde, I am using Me. You emailed me new versions as you updated them last week with the cahchemate debug-hang problem. I rebooted, tried it with debug checked under options and on the Sending waypoints page, as well as having the fix Me hang problem and it still has a neverending Sending Waypoints... Label1 box showing. Any further ideas on what to do?

Yes, Clyde, I am using Me. You emailed me new versions as you updated them last week with the cahchemate debug-hang problem. I rebooted, tried it with debug checked under options and on the Sending waypoints page, as well as having the fix Me hang problem and it still has a neverending Sending Waypoints... Label1 box showing. Any further ideas on what to do?

Ok, we need to establish if the problem is GSAK or GPSBabel.

To take GSAK out of the eqation try sending waypoints to your GPS using just GPSBabel

When you send waypoints to your GPS, GSAK creates a file called "babel.bat" in the install folder of GSAK. It is this file that actually runs GPSBabel. Try running this file by itself and see what the results are.

Clyde, I don't see one called babel.bat, only one BABEL with a cogwheel icon and another babel with a msdos icon.  Running either of these only opens a black window for a second and then nothing.

First start a command prompt.

Windows start=> Run => enter "command.com"

Change directory to the install folder of GSAK

cd "c:\program files\gsak"

(above line assumes you installed to the default directory, but if you didn't then make sure you substitute your install folder here)

Now key "babel.bat" and press ENTER

Edited by ClydeE
All right, Clyde. Here are the results.

GPSBabel Version: 1.2.3

Tx Data:00 GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE

GARMIN:Can't init COM1

finish bad

I'll say the finish was bad, the finish was terrible.

OK, then yes, this is now a GPSBabel issue.

I would therefore direct you to the GPSBabel mailing list to resolve this here

Yes, unfortunately, this is a known problem with the USB/COM1 with the Garmin 60C. I saw that you had contributed to the cause, Clyde. I see that there are no guarantees on a fix, especially if no one contributes enough to buy a 60 for them to work on. I have already registered Cachemate and GSAK and as of this writing I can't make myself put more money into a not-so-sure thing. It might be a good idea for you to place a warning on your download page telling owners of 60's of this problem, since it renders GSAK useless for transferring via USB. Can you recommend another program such as GSAK? I know there are many.

Thanks,

John

Yes, unfortunately, this is a known problem with the USB/COM1 with the Garmin 60C.  I saw that you had contributed to the cause, Clyde.  I see that there are no guarantees on a fix, especially if no one contributes enough to buy a 60 for them to work on.  I have already registered Cachemate and GSAK and as of this writing I can't make myself put more money into a not-so-sure thing.  It might be a good idea for you to place a warning on your download page telling owners of 60's of this problem, since it renders GSAK useless for transferring via USB.  Can you recommend another program such as GSAK?  I know there are many.

Thanks,

John

I have donated 3 times to the GPSBabel USB cause, and if registrations for GSAK continue to come in, I will keep donating. My correspondance with Robert Lipe leads me to the strong belief that USB wll happen - it is just the timing that is unsure, though it shouldn't be that far away.

The Mapsource software (which GSAK can export to) that came with the 60c can be used to send waypoints to your GPS via USB, and the latest version of EasyGps will also support the 60c via USB

There are also many users out there that use a serial cable via a standard serial port and happily send waypoints to the 60c. The issue with this solution, seems to be some USB to Serial converters not working correctly with GPSBabel (which is being look at now) which is a totally different issue to providing native USB support.

Edited by ClydeE

Just so I understand, this worked on a non-beta version of Garmin firmware, fails on a beta version of Garmin's firmware, and it's somehow GPSBabel's fault, right?

As the guy in the crossfire here, I can't say I know of a "known problem with the Com1 with the Garmin 60C" so if you can offer clues, that would be handy. (OTOH, I'm leaving in 2 days for a 2-week vacation....)

Does a failure on a beta firmware version really "render [ our stuff ] useless"? If something works on a production firmware version and fails on a beta version of the firmware, I'd really like Garmin to help share the expense of tracking this down instead of encouraging the users to defect.

I really suspection the "consciousNOT" problem and the ":smogman" problem reported here are separate problems but can't penetrate the hyperbole.

A few questions:

I see that Smogman ugraded the 60C firmware to beta version 3.42.

1) Was the waypoint transfer working before the firmware upgrade?

2) consciousNOT did you upgrade the firmware also?

3) Are both doing serial port transfers or trying to do USB port transfers?

Also, Garmin has been known to change the serial communications protocol from one version of the firmware to another. They also don't document the protocol very well nor follow it well. This causes problems with GPSBabel when they make changes like this.

More than likely this is what has happened.

The donation on the GPSBabel home page is so that USB transfers can be supported not serial port transfers. Serial port transfers are already supported.

Hope this helps.

Alan

There are also many users out there that use a serial cable via a standard serial port and happily send waypoints to the 60c. The issue with this solution, seems to be some USB to Serial converters not working correctly with GPSBabel (which is being look at now) which is a totally different issue to providing native USB support.

To be clear (which is hard - it's late, I'm tired having just returned from helping host GeoWoodstock) GSAK - via Clyde - is indeed the largest supporter of the "make GPSBabel (which is used for GSAK's com protocol underpinning) play nice with the Garmin USB protocol effort" to date - but let's please focus as that isn't the issue being reported here which seems to be a change in a beta firmware version and not "merely" the absence off USB support.

There are issues with USB serial converters that don't correctly implement the serial timing characteristics. That's seemingly in hand. I'll publish a fix upon my return.

The Garmin/USB protocol isn't yet supported (and Garmin is less than helpful on developer support) and that's a different project.

Garmin 60/Serial - at least on producttion versions of the firmware -= seems to work OK. I personally loaded waypoints to dozens of Garmin 60 users at GeoWoodstock today. If it's passing on a production version of the firmware and failing on a beta version, that's an interesting problem for Garmin to chase and contact me as need be.

Let's focus this thread, please, and not let it wander....Is the problem "beta firmware acts dfferently than production firmware" or is it "I want Garmin/USB protocol support"?

Clyde and all others!!! I just down graded to Software 3.40 and the problem is fixed I downloded all waypoints with no problem!!! GARMIN OWNS THIS PROBLEM!!!! WORD TO THE WISE DON'T USE BETA SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!

Clyde again thanks for all your time spent working with me!!!!

Jack :o

Clyde and all others!!! I just down graded to Software 3.40 and the problem is fixed I downloded all waypoints with no problem!!! GARMIN OWNS THIS PROBLEM!!!! WORD TO THE WISE DON'T USE BETA SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!

Clyde again thanks for all your time spent working with me!!!!

Jack :o

You don't know how happy this makes me :o - and I suspect Robert too. :D

Good thinking Smogman--unfortunately this won't work for me since I have a 60C not 60CS and the latest version is 3.30 and it is not a beta version. robertllipe, I would say the problem is lack of garmin COM1/USB support, but I am new to this and don't know a lot about data transfer. As it stands now, I think I have 3 options--I can buy a serial cable, I can use another program to import my waypoints, or I can hope that this is fixed in the next 60C update. Sigh!

ConciousNot, The lack of utilization of the USB port is well documented on a lot of threads thoughout this forum, But have faith Robert Lipe and Clyde England are working dilegently to supply the after market with it's availability and I here it will be soon. As for me I will use my serial cable because it is well supported and probably not change for a while and........... Because GSAK is the best dadgum program that I've ever used, because it can do it all where outhers have failed miserably. Not only that, Clyde must have one eye on the computer at all times when I've had a problem I have alway recieved a responce not in days and days (ie. GARMIN) but always in hours if not minutes as for me and my house we will use GSAK!!!!!!!!!!! :o

As umamused as I am by this whole process, I'm not sure I can agree with the "don't use beta software" sentiment. Use it, if you have time to test things, but when you see something that worked before and didn't after, feed that back to the creators of the beta (that IS what they're supposed to be for) so the problem can be fixed at the source.