Garmin Gpsmap 60cs Pre-purchase Question

I've narrowed my search down to 2 units. The Garmin GPSMAP 60CS or the 76CS.

I will be moving to Colorado in the next couple of weeks and I wanted a GPS to compliment my outdoor activities (day hikes, mountain biking, fly fishing, 4 Wheeling and just exploring the Colorado Rockies) and the occasional road trip to surrounding states. My question mostly has to do with memory but any and all suggestions are welcome.

Of the two units I prefer the ergonomics of the 60CS but I have some concerns about limited memory. I'm leaning towards the 60cs but I want to make sure that the memory will be adequate to meet my needs.

My questions are as follow:

What is realistic with the 60CS from a memory perspective? Can I load the entire topo map for Colorado? Could I load Colorado Topo, Denver, Colorado Springs? I guess I'm looking for a general idea of map vs memory. How much coverage is realistic from both Topo and City Select NA?

How easy is it to swap map segments from the PC to the GPS Unit? I understand the technology but what about the procedure.

Do any of you 60cs owners out there find the memory a limiting factor? Do any of you wish that you would have purchased to 76cs?

Your input is much appreciated. Thank you for your help.

I ran this with Garmin TOPO USA & Mapsource MetroGuide v5

The entire state of Colorado Topo = 140 maps, 31.3 MB

Colorado Springs to Canyon City adds 2 more megs (2 maps).

Add Denver (2 more maps), that brings it to 38.6 MB.

Will that do ya?

JayBee

Oh ya, with the USB Connection, you just select the maps, and "send to device"....it goes a lot faster than the serial connected units. I'd say, 2-3 minutes at most as compared to a serial connection taking nearly an hour.

Edited by Go JayBee

If their topo software is anything like city select, you can also save a file of various maps, for instance all of colorado for you as your primary. Then if you are going to go on a trip, load up the maps for your trip. When you come back, simply open your primary map file you saved and uplaod and be done in about 2 minutes. It makes it very handy and saves some work too.

congrats on the purchase I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

MH

If their topo software is anything like city select, you can also save a file of various maps, for instance all of colorado for you as your primary.  Then if you are going to go on a trip, load up the maps for your trip.  When you come back, simply open your primary map file you saved and uplaod and be done in about 2 minutes.  It makes it very handy and saves some work too.

That's exactly what I do, MH. I rarely if ever actually use the full capacity of memory. As, an example: went to Florida recently. Just loaded my maps for there. Got back to Oregon, reloaded my "home" set.

JayBee

p.s. Be gentle with the USB connector on the 60cs, mine got internally damaged because it was too tight. Had to send to Garmin for repair. Other than that I LOVE my 60cs. I think you will too.

Edited by Go JayBee