Mixing Geocaching And Benchmarking

I would have to say no, only because it's a bit of a grey area, and there are a couple of reasons that would dissuade me from placing a micro in there...

Too many curious people might see the cover, and open it just to see what is in there: the cache might get taken. :o

A survey crew could come along and open the cover: the cache might get taken. B)

The covers don't seal airtight, they might fill up with water, and damage the cache. :)

Lots of nasties like to hide in those spots, and you don't need a spider bite B) (unless you are plannng on being a superhero) or scorpion sting (here in the SW). :o

Like I said, there are a couple of reasons to NOT place a micro in there, personally, I would not do it. :)

I don't like the idea.

The survey rod should not be subjected to stuff crammed in there as it could give the appearance that geocachers were damaging its integrity. It would be a very low probability that some mctoys or even a container of them would manage to bend the rod, but in this kind of situation the appearance of risking damage to the rod is what would count to the agencies who place the rod and to those who use it.

I hunt benchmarks and have figured out that most users of benchmarks don't report to the NGS (National Geodetic Survey). I see new stakes and ribbons on benchmarks that have no NGS report for decades. So, there's no assurance that some really out of the way rods aren't visited every few months by surveying companies.

I think using your own container is a good plan.

My two cents:

I think it is a bad idea to stash caches in any benchmark housing (like the fairly common rod/logocap) for the several reasons cited, above. I suspect that the reponsible governmental agencies (Maryland State Highway Administration which has monumented hundreds of these rods, for example) would probably view such activity as (illegal) tampering/distubing.

One reason to avoid using this ype of benchmark for a cache is if the rod is damaged (bent, dinged, moved, or in anyway disturbed) it loses it's worth as a benchmark and the cache hider may be visited by the 'setting agency' and fined, since they were indirectly responsible for the damage.

John

I think this is the best reason not to do it, who wants the men in black knockin'?

Like Marky, I have an offset that uses a Benchmark

Edited by AB4N
I don't like the idea.

The survey rod should not be subjected to stuff crammed in there as it could give the appearance that geocachers were damaging its integrity.  It would be a very low probability that some mctoys or even a container of them would manage to bend the rod, but in this kind of situation the appearance of risking damage to the rod is what would count to the agencies who place the rod and to those who use it.

I think using your own container is a good plan.

I would only agree to using a benchmark as a reference point like in this cache.

Otherwise, I agree with BDT that that one should not hide a cache in your suggested location.