Back-up Gps

I keep reading in the forums about people having backup GPS units. Do you have that many problems with your main unit that you NEED a backup GPS? ....Or is it that you are that addicted to geocaching that you can't spare the time if its broken?

I just bought a garmin 76CS and I sold my 72 on Ebay. I really don't see a need to have a backup but was just wondering why everyone seems to have one.

Is this just a Magellan issue or do Garmin owners have backups?

1. ^^^^^^^^^ What he said :)

2. When GPS dies, you can use the backup GPS and continue Geocaching or hiking while the broken one is getting fixed. This way you won't be inconvenienced.

You don't need to get a fancy backup gps either.... Just get a cheap one that can get you out of a potential rut or to serve as a lay-over unit while your main one is in repair.

Good backup GPS units:

Garmin eTrex yellow ($89.00)

Lowrance iFinder ($119.00)

Edited by vw_ev

Why a back up!

1st. Once you have to send in a GPS for a repair you will want a back up

2nd. People have been known to drop a GPS and break it.

3rd. Why not have a second or third GPS.

I have three. I have a margellan meridian gold runing direct route software to get me to the cache area(This one stays in my truck). Then I have a Sport track map with Topo software and also a Stport track color running direct route which I will carry dependig on the type of area the cache is in. I may buy a fourth one, one of the new magellans.

A freind of mine has 5 and he does not even do muh geocacing, maybe 3 finds a year.

The recurring mental image of buzzards finding my body is the reason I carry a spare when I'm doing a serious hike

Do you load the waypoints into both GPS untis? Do you pull out your back up and mark you car's location before you leave?

I'm still not falling the getting lost bit. Where are you guys going where a non-mapping GPS would help you get out?

The recurring mental image of buzzards finding my body is the reason I carry a spare when I'm doing a serious hike

Do you load the waypoints into both GPS untis? Do you pull out your back up and mark you car's location before you leave?

I'm still not falling the getting lost bit. Where are you guys going where a non-mapping GPS would help you get out?

I load my waypoints for the day in all three of mine, I use easy GPS so this is very easy to do.

If I'm travelling far enough from home on a geocaching exploit that a GPS failure (damage, breakage, loss, etc.) would "ruin" my trip, I do indeed carry two mapping units with everything loaded. (I don't own non-mapping units. ) Even though I don't mark the car on the second - indeed, I don't even turn it on in the common case - and I certainly don't try to keep the days finds synchronized between them, I could use it to get back to the car. Even with my short attention span, I'll probably remember the last road I was on where I parked the car, so if I can find my way back to the road, that's enough buzzard insurance for me.

Two geeks are twice as powerfull as a lone geek.

What if the 1st geek has 3 GPSr's?

I just didn't realize that so many (5 so far) had a backup....

It just seemed as though everyone mentioning a backup had a Magellan. Being relatively young I have not as much to spend on additional GPSr's (I'm lucky that my wife didn't fuss too much about me getting my new 76cs :) ).

I guess I don't venture too far from home, relatively.

I kept my eTrex Venture as a backup when I got my 60CS.

I still carry paper maps

I still carry a compass

On a good hiking/caching day I might be up to 10 miles from the car on some unmarked wood trail.... I don't want to take chances. Three times this year I already 'rescued' people that had paper maps but couldn't figure out where they actually where... Neither of them was out of water or in panic mode - but I doubt they would have gotten back to their cars before dark without a little handholding...

Even with no Maps on the second GPS I can read the coordinates and then figure out on the paper map where I actually am.

I also carry a spare set of batteries (I hope everyone does...)

In my case:

One for on foot, and one for driving, to keep track of each, like how many miles im putting on my Nike's and how many miles im putting on my car. I used to use only one, but it got very messy with the tracklogging, so I use 2 GPS units.

Edited by GOT GPS?

We are a two GPSr family, one is an Etrex Vista and the other is an Etrex Yellow. Having two GPSr's makes finding the cache a snap even on difficult ones. You start at different points and work your way to the cachewhere the paths cross thats where you start searching from. If one GPS dies you still have a second one to find your way out or finish finding the cache. When I head out I carry a load of equipment consisting of:

1 or 2 GPSr's

1 compass

1 pocket PC loaded with maps of the area I am caching in as well as 1000 caches in my area.

2 FRS radios (tuned to channel 2, the unofficial caching channel)

1 headband hiking lamp

Small penlight flashlight

2 sets of spare rechargeable batteries (charged)

1 or 2 litres of water (on a long hike I take an extra 3 litre hydration pack)

short length of rope

bandages and insurance paper (you never know when nature will call)

spare pen

extra ziplock bag and log book

collapsible hiking stick

portable dog dish for my four legged companions

Oh yeah and cache trade items!

All of this fits into or on a hip pack so it really doesnt take up a lot of space.

The moral of the story is you never know what can happen and if you are not prepared for as many situations as possible you can find yourself in a whole lot of trouble.

Having a second GPS is not a necessity if you have a good sense of direction and a good compass, but having one as insurance sure beats getting lost in the middle of nowhere and hoping that someone will find you.

Happy Caching!

Logger

We are a two GPSr family, one is an Etrex Vista and the other is an Etrex Yellow.  Having two GPSr's makes finding the cache a snap even on difficult ones. You start at different points and work your way to the cachewhere the paths cross thats where you start searching from.  If one GPS dies you still have a second one to find your way out or finish finding the cache.  When I head out I carry a load of equipment consisting of:

1 or 2 GPSr's

1 compass

1 pocket PC loaded with maps of the area I am caching in as well as 1000 caches in my area.

2 FRS radios (tuned to channel 2, the unofficial caching channel)

1 headband hiking lamp

Small penlight flashlight

2 sets of spare rechargeable batteries (charged)

1 or 2 litres of water (on a long hike I take an extra 3 litre hydration pack)

short length of rope

bandages and insurance paper (you never know when nature will call)

spare pen

extra ziplock bag and log book

collapsible hiking stick

portable dog dish for my four legged companions

Oh yeah and cache trade items! 

All of this fits into or on a hip pack so it really doesnt take up a lot of space.

The moral of the story is you never know what can happen and if you are not prepared for as many situations as possible you can find yourself in a whole lot of trouble. 

Having a second GPS is not a necessity if you have a good sense of direction and a good compass, but having one as insurance sure beats getting lost in the middle of nowhere and hoping that someone will find you.

Happy Caching!

Logger

My list.

One GPS in my truck Magellan Meridain Gold running Direct route

Sport track color running direct route

sport trak map running topo

Pock PC with more cache note than I could find in a year

One ham radio in my truck

Two ham radios on my belt, (My girl freind also carries one, much better then FRS)

Sm. First aid kit

8 AA batteries

Digital Camera with extra batteries (Used for notes on Virtuals)

Pair of Titanium walking sticks

Bottle of water

Several pens and pencils

Micro caches just in case I find a place to put one

Printed out paper maps of the area showing caches

Signiture trade items (Large and Small buttons from Bumblebuttons.com

Lap top computer purchased for geocache road trips

Hotel reservation confirmation number

Large brim hat

Deet

Non polarized sunglasses

Binoculars

Flashlight and head lamp

Compass

Edited by JohnnyVegas
I keep reading in the forums about people having backup GPS units. Do you have that many problems with your main unit that you NEED a backup GPS? ....Or is it that you are that addicted to geocaching that you can't spare the time if its broken?

I just bought a garmin 76CS and I sold my 72 on Ebay. I really don't see a need to have a backup but was just wondering why everyone seems to have one.

A lesson recently learned...

A backup GPS is handy to have when you're drying out your primary one. :blink::lol:

I don't think it's a Garmin vs. Magellan issue. In my case, my Magellan Meridian Platinum has worked wonderfully for a year now with no need for repair, at least not yet. However, I can see why those who already use Garmin would want to stick with them. Unless it's a major upgrade, it doesn't make sense to change to another brand of GPSr when you're already familiar with the screens and functions of the first.

As JohnnyVegas stated in another thread:

"Having been a GPS retailer for many years, going back to the first consumer GPS (the Magellan trail blazer), both Garmin and Magellan GPSr can end up (needing) repairs. Think(ing) that owning a Garmin will keep you from ever having to get it repaired (would be) leading yourself down the road of disapointment."

--edited information in parentheses added for clarity

Repair issues arise with either brand, sometimes depending on the model, sometimes due to owner carelessness or accident. If you do a forum search, you'll see many repair issues regarding the two major brands and many others.

The backup may also teach you a new trick or two if they've tweaked the technology.

I don't think everyone really has a "backup" so much as they have units that became "unused" when they got a new unit, if you get what I'm saying. I doubt someone went out and bought two GPS' at one time and marked one "backup." It's just something that ends up happening when you upgrade. :(

I don't think everyone really has a "backup" so much as they have units that became "unused" when they got a new unit, if you get what I'm saying. I doubt someone went out and bought two GPS' at one time and marked one "backup." It's just something that ends up happening when you upgrade. :(

I guess I'm one of the "different" ones... I bought two GPS's and dedicated one as a backup. :(:P

I used to have a backup, but I lost it! :(

Chances are that when I buy a new receiver I would not sell my old one. Most folks sell theirs to recover some of the money they spent buying the new one, while electronics junkies (such as myself) would have no problem owning multiple GPSrs.

Kar

A backup GPS is handy to have when you're drying out your primary one.  :P  :P

The 76cs is water tight & floats. :P I tested out the floating part in a creek.

I guess I can see everyones reasoning except leatherman's...that's just crazy. Do you have a favorite, leatherman?

I think this is a good idea. I'm new to the game but can already see the need for more than one GPS for my personal use. I started with a Meridian Gold but was unhappy with the size/shape of it for basic use. I took it back and bought an Explorist 200 which I love for the size and shape, not to mention the new 14 channel reciever (but I'm returning). I really want the ability to upload/download to the unit. Plus in the vehicle I want a decent size unit with a color display. But when I'm out I want something pocket sized pointing me in the direction I need to go.

I CANT DECIDE!!!! So what I have done is purchased a Garmin eTrex Legend from http://www.campingworld.com for $99.95 plus $1 for shipping. The Legend is a more than adequate gps for on and off road from what I hear and should meet my needs fine (especially at that price!!). This will be my backup and out of car unit. Next purchase will probably be a 60C or 76C for all around (mostly vehicle) use.

M

After 8 days in to my new Meridian Gold something went haywire.. Still have not been able to figure a fix and I am a Tacoma person here in PA.. My plans were to geocache + keep myself travel loss free. Tomorrow I will be dropping into a local store to grab a little Etrex so my 27 day vacation is not a total wash..

I would highly recomend a back up. besides over the past 2773 miles I have got the whole family interested enough that I may have to get each of them a little yellow trex so they stop asking to use mine.