Scottish Geocachers Days Out

I'm wondering whether there is any interest amongst the Scottish geocaching community for occasional group forays into the wilderness to track down some of the less accessible caches. I'm thinking along the lines of ramblers walks, where people are welcome to turn up at a designated parking place at a specific time. I think that many of us enjoy solitary caching trips, or cache regularly with friends, partners and children, but from time to time may be interested in getting together for a cache/trig point bagging hiking trip.

I'm not offering to organise anything; think I've probably taken on enough having just (by default and a tiny bit of arm twisting) become the regional rep for the new Emag 'Geocaching Today'.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the idea?

It would be appreciated if you could publish these adhoc meets in case any of us south of the border are in your area at the time. Think there are those who would use it as an excuse to make an excursion into the region! But then who needs an excuse to visit Scotland!

It seems that there is probably enough interest to make an attempt at this. I dread to think of the difficulties we may have, however, trying to find a date that will suit most people.

To pluck one out of the air - what about Sunday August 15th?

As for which cache to do - it might be appropriate to do 'Scotland's First', a good hike, a trigpoint at the top, two possible Munros to bag, great scenery, and the oldest cache in the entire country. This one would of course be weather dependent.

These are only suggestions. I'll now leave the debating about dates and caches to all of you.

Count me in....Bute...Arran....Edinburgh...I dont care, just as long as two of you are allocated to the stretcher to carry me :)

Just kidding....it would take three of you to carry me at least B):o:)

Ullium.

P.S. August the 15th would suit me ...and Scotland's First has been on my list for weeks !!!

Edited by Ullium
P.S. August the 15th would suit me ...and Scotland's First has been on my list for weeks !!!

That's a very select club :)B)

I'd love to join you and do the rest of Billy's caches on Bute but I can't afford all the petrol.... oh, what the hell.... if you're all up for it, I'll try to make it too :o

To pluck one out of the air - what about Sunday August 15th?

TartanT and myself are doing Britains Highest Geocache on the 15th of August. We have had it planned for a while, and I was going to put up some details for joining us on here once we were both happy with the arrangements.

If anyone is interested on doing this then let me know and i'll put some details on here for us meeting up.

I will say this though, anyone who is interested on doing this cache with us, must understand that this is Ben Nevis that we are going up. It should take about the region of 8 hours to get there and back. Therefore if you travel with us, we cannot be held responsible for your wellbeing. i.e. you need to be properly kitted out and be capable of going up Britains highest mountain.

Sorry to put a spoiler on it but people do the most stupid things!! You just have to read the logs for the cache.

Since HH and TartanT have already made plans for August 15th and an assault on Ben Nevis, not only Britain's highest mountain but also Britain's highest cache, and a trigpoint to boot, my vote goes to this being the first Scottish geocachers day out. Its a great opportunity to bag an inaccessible cache. As HH has already pointed out though, you will need all the proper gear, and some idea that you can manage a Munro. I believe that there's still snow at the top even now.

Im definitely keen to come along. Perhaps we can persuade Highland Nick to come too, so that we dont actually have to call out the mountain rescue team if we get into difficulties?

Edited by Firth of Forth

Ben Nevis seems to be a worthwhile cache for such an occasion. I really recommend approaching it from behind though as this route is a lot more picturesque and you don't have to fight your way through masses of tourists. When I went up the last time I had quite the culture shock turning the corner onto the summit and finding it milling with people. The easy tourist route is probably better for coming down though. And I can echo HH's statement about stupid people: we met a guy on the way who went up in flipflops and bathrobe ! <_< (we were wearing three layers and there was still snow about) .

I don't think I want to go up again so soon after my last trip but I wish you a lot of fun and a good hunt!

Roolku

The Venue: Britain’s Highest Geocache, Ben Nevis

The Date: Sunday August 15th 2004

Meeting Location: N56° 48.615 W005° 04.301. Car park at Achintee House (waypoint taken from a 1:50000 map, it will not be accurate but it will get you close enough to the right place).

Time: Meet at 08:30 hours depart no later than 09:00 hours.

To reiterate, you must be cable of going up this mountain, I really can’t stress enough the importance of this.

Roolku is right going up the back way or from the North is a lot more scenic. I done this route in 1998, as much as I enjoyed it, I think it is a dangerous route for inexperienced climbers/walkers to do. We had to rope up at a certain area during the accent and the ridge line going from Carn Mor Dearg to just below the Summit of Ben Nevis is no wider than a couple of metres with shear drops either side. I think for this trip I will be going up and coming down the tourist route.

If you wish to go then please email me so I can keep a list of people that are going to attend.

A thought just occurred to me....what about those who dont feel they could climb the Ben like myself and The-Haunted going after a more accessable cache or caches in that area on the 15th ??

That way we could all meet up afterwards and have a chin wag of the day's events!!

I'm not certain of course that this would be possible...but it was just a thought!

BTW HH I was just pulling your leg about how fast you walk and I haven't a clue about how you got the nickname of 'Supercharged' ;);):D

Ullium.

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men, Gang aft agley

mouser.gif

Got a call needed on the 15 Aug to supervise 21 kids up the hills on a DOE Gold Hikes Glen Doll to Braemar leg.

Sorry will make the next SGDO.

Edit: Spellchoker nae working

Edited by Snaik
A thought just occurred to me....what about those who dont feel they could climb the Ben like myself and The-Haunted going after a more accessable cache or caches in that area on the 15th ??

That way we could all meet up afterwards and have a chin wag of the day's events!!

I'm not certain of course that this would be possible...but it was just a thought!

A good idea - is there any interest from others??

Firth of Forth  Posted on Jul 5 2004, 07:09 AM

sounds good, count me in

Could someone explain what a "Munro" is please. :D

Mike

The Munros is a collective name given to all the distinct mountains in Scotland which are over 3,000 feet

;)

Not forgetting:

Corbetts is a collective name given to all the distinct mountains in Scotland which are between 2,500 feet and 3,000 feet, and which have a re-ascent of 500 feet on all sides.

Donalds is a collective name given to all the distinct mountains in Lowland Scotland which are over 2,000 feet.

Grahams is a collective name given to all the distinct mountains in Scotland which are between 2,000 and 2,499 feet (610 and 761 metres), and which have at least a 150 metre drop between them.

;)

Our excuse is that we have a four year old, so going up the Ben is not feasible, (never mind the fitness level that it would require for myself!) BUT we would be keen to join the others doing some of the other caches in the area, and the Kings Head chinwag of course!!

Just my 2p but if we made it Southern Scotland for example around Peebles in the East / Dumfries in the West would this not make it more accessible to the sassenachs :blink: who wish to attend?

First of all Pharisee you took the words out of my mouth. :(

The 15th of August is just one date for a meeting event. It came about because TartanT and myself are going to do it that day regardless of whether this thread was here or not.

As for you wanting one down in Peebles or elsewhere there is nothing stopping you from looking in a diary and organising a meet in an area that is good for yourself. I for instance live in Edinburgh and if a date was convenient then I would go.

What I would say on that is, not to make it a date that is already being used for a meet as I would think this would start to defeat the idea.

Now for accessibility, most Geocachers (I accept not all) have access to a motor vehicle, making it accessible for most people. I for instance won't have a vehicle for the weekend so I am being taken up there by TartanT. What I am saying is talk to people and see if you can share transport if you are stuck, even if you are just going out for a days caching.

One last point we can't forget that we have Geocachers in the North as well.

Thanks for your reply thunderbird30 that is what I thought you were going to do. :laughing:

I'm looking at organising the cache search while the others are trotting up Ben Nevis ... and all I can find in the district of the Kinghouse Hotel is :-

1) Waterfall and ruin by togill (GCHTPP)

2) WHW Day 8 (The End Is Nigh) by Pooter (GCJBF1)

3) The Death of Power by Billy Twigger (GCJ3TZ)

4) WHW Day 7 (The Devil's Staircase) by Billy Twigger (GCJDYF)

5) Highland Cache by The Clangers (GC49F9)

6) Rock hopper by Zcat & Porcupique (GC4B33)

7) WHW Day 6 (Rannoch Moor) by Flyfishermanbob (GCJ92A)

Now can anyone tell me if I have missed one (or two LOL) ??

Next we need to organise the route around the caches and try to estimate

how long it will take so that we can meet up at what ever time we are meeting

up at the Kinghouse Hotel...presumably around sixish ???

Comments and help please :laughing:

Ullium.

P.S. it looks like there will be seven of us...so far !!

Edited by Ullium
Next we need to organise the route around the caches and try to estimate

how long it will take so that we can meet up at what ever time we are meeting

up at the Kinghouse Hotel...presumably around sixish ???

Comments and help please  :laughing:

Ullium.

P.S. it looks like there will be seven of us...so far !!

Being a newcomer and still trying to get to know the ways of the geocacher, I probably won't be much help, but if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

cheers

the-Haunted