Wyo Hot Springs

binobo

My wife and I will be heading to the Tetons this fall, along i-80, then north from Rocksprings. Was hoping to hit some hot springs for a soak. I went to soak.net, but its a little difficult to tell just where the sping is in relation to where I am! If anyone would care to share coordinates of any soak spots within a few hours of our route, I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you have any info of any web sites, or how you use soak.net. I suppose I could load the coords into EZ GPS and then to the Geo cache page to get a better idea. Anyone do it that way? THANKS.

Edited by binobo

I have a very old Hot Springs book which lists two places fairly near Jackson Hole.

The first is Granite Creek Hot Springs. There is a campground with 52 sites that can be reserved, and apparently there is a developed pool near the campground. Pool is non-chlorinated and kept at 95 degrees in summmer. If you hike 15 minutes beyond that, there are natural springs near Granite Creek Falls where volunteers have built soaking pools. It's in the Bridger-Teton National Forest, and I think the phone number is 877-444-6777. It appears to be about 15 miles south of Jackson on the main road US189 , and then 10 miles east on a dirt road, FS029.

There is also another commercial hot spring listed, Astoria Mineral Hot Springs, 17 miles south of Jackson. I couldn't find anything like a website for them, so don't know if they're still in business. Telephone # 307-733-2659. It lists camping, horse rentals, raft trips, and groceries as being available. Pool is chlorinated and kept between 84-92 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Here's another one you could ask about--because of development by the park service, its fate was uncertain when my copy of the book was published in 1986, but it might be worth checking on.

Huckleberry Hot Springs, a large group of primitive hot springs 2 miles south of the entrance to Yellowstone. Natural mineral water flows out of many springs at temperatures up to 130 degrees, cooling as it follows various channels to the creek. Volunteers have built small rock and mud soaking pools at several places where the water is 100-105 degrees.

No services at the location, but a commercial campground a mile away.