Mapsource And Unlock Codes

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms about unlock codes for garmin gps? I have been looking at the different cds available and am not sure what this is all about.

It's easy. If you have a 60CS or a GPS V and want it to do turn by turn autorouting, then you need Garmin City Select v6.

In the UK this runs out at about 300 quid or £175 from the States. For this extortionate amount of money you get to unlock the maps for two gps devices. So if you have a 60CS and an Ique you are laughing. If you only have one GPS device then you have a spare unlock code that could quickly make you the best friends of Pengy & Tigger or Sparticus :):) who are looking to find a cheaper way of getting hold of the goodies.

On the other hand, it you can do without the autorouting and lets face it, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out the best route from John O'Groats to Inverness, then all you need it Metroguide V6, which has the same maps but without the autorouting and does not require any unlock codes. Any bloke who is going to sell you a 60CS on the cheap is sure to throw in an iffy copy of that just to be nice. :blink::mad:

Edited by Slytherin

Ahh things are starting to make sense now, I thought that you needed an unlock code for your gps to use any of the garmin mapsource products, And if for instance you had 2 or 3 gps units (one for the car one for the hill and a spare) you needed to purchase an unlock code for each unit. Ie you buy one copy of the program then pay extra to send maps to each of your units, but I wasnt sure if the unlock code was tied to the cd or the gps or both

Before I bought my memory map I used an old copy of a roads and recreation cd to manage waypoints routes and tracks on my etrex but I thought you needed a code to put any map tiles over to the gps.

So if you bought a new gps you would need to shell out more dosh to put your maps over to your new unit if you have already used your 2 codes up.

Sometimes I need turn by turn routing to find my way home, generally the taxi driver knows where to go so its ok! (sat night Hic Hic!!!).

Sometimes I need turn by turn routing to find my way home, generally the taxi driver knows where to go so its ok! (sat night Hic Hic!!!).

I thought I had made a pretty good stab at the above explanation considering I had just got back from the pub last night and was somewhat "tired and emotional"

Off to Switzerland in 10 minutes.. bye. (yodell-oddle) :blink:

Alex.

i got lost in wokingham last night and stupid tomtom autorouted me *exactly* to the m4 - or rather I should say *exactly* OVER the M4 where there was no sliproad. Took me about an hour to get out of the swine city..beware autorouting - especially if the map is not uptodate.

It's not just TomTom.... My iQue told me to exit left whilst I was travelling on the M3... onto a narrow 'yellow' road about 100 ft up on the bridge I was just passing under :blink::)

The silicon twit also tried to navigate Omally, Motley Crew and me through someone's back garden whilst were were trying to find our way out of Farnham a couple of weeks ago :)

The silicon twit also tried to navigate Omally, Motley Crew and me through someone's back garden whilst were were trying to find our way out of Farnham a couple of weeks ago :blink:

I have a cache that has pointed people at a back garden if they make a minor numerical mistake with the clues along the way to the final location :)

Sorry to hear about Dom's problem - we live near Wokingham and everything is dead easy - if you know where to go (just like caching).

I've never been sold on any routing progs, much preferring to use a paper road atlas. Our address location has been wrong for years in any number of databases so Autoroute can't find us and even gives the wrong zip code for our house. The fact that this error exists in programmes other than Autoroute is confirmed by various delivery drivers who telephone to say they're in the middle of Wokingham and where are we? (Only 7 miles away; that's all). Also a friend of our son's rolled up in his £30,000, all singing and dancing satellite equipped car... after ringing us to find out where the hell we were! We actually live on a very busy main "A" road, not some country lane. Autoroute tells us there is a restaurant 100m from our house, whereas it's actually 700m.

Point is - if it can cock up our address (and our house has been here for 50 years or more) how many more addresses and directions are wrong? I sent an eror report to MS about Autoroute many years ago but it's still wrong.

Its really anoying that Garmin want even MORE money for city select software, as those of us who have Metroguide (ok so it might be a pirate copy) would expect to use it on my next machine (ok I know technically it will still work) and not have to buy more mega expensive software, if they priced it more sensibly we might not all go looking for copies to use. As I understand it they will give you unlock codes for extra machines free, I could be wrong though. I will be looking hard for a cracked copy before I shell out the sort of money they want in this country for it.

rant over

cheers

John