Moderation In Moderation

Seems the admins are content with keeping the patients in 1 padded cell.

AS is not unlike what this thread has quickly become... A poster quotes the entire previous post, makes a comment about it, adds some smileys and it continues on and on. Like what the same posters will do to this post.

I like AS. I'm not an attention deficient person. I quoted that post just because I know it bugs the heck out of some people for no apparent reason....just like AS bugs the heck out of some people for no apparent reason. :)

EDIT: Oh, hecky darn, looky-look, I'm NORM!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Sparky-Watts
and points out that an Off Topic forum would allow more freedom and fix what those who do complain about AS don't like.

And what there have been threads on almost weekly but it's not been done. From comments admins have posted, it likely won't happen either.

Funny, I thought this thread was about moderation. :) (Yet another annoying quote for those who don't like them.)

Cant people jsut show simple respect and courtesy? Common now is it really that hard. Or do people like being jerks just to be jerks? ju66l3r I read your original post adn was amazed you had the gall to make the comments you did. TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR and very DISRESPECTFUL IMHO. I have never read the AS thread, not really interested in it. But for you to make comments like those we just downright uncalled for, and intentionally nasty. Although I didnt fall into the group you were insulting, I was insulted that you insulted so many others of this community. No need for it at all.

Sadly when I read the post I was like "oh here we go again this is goin to get nasty" Sure enough it headed that way. Isnt there enough hate and discontent in the realworld to deal with, without bringing it here? Why do people have to insist on insulting, slamming or attacking people. Oh thats right, because its so much easier to do that from behind a computer screen. Oh they're just words who cares. Most people would have been knocked on the butt and holding their teeth in their hands if they said even a small portion the the thigns they say here in teh forum, if they said them face to face. Last time I checked there were real people with real feelings behind every computer. Lets keep that in mind.

If you cant show some respect, cant stop finding any excuse to attack or insult a moderator, if you cant fight the urge to stir garbage up, then take the keys off your keyboard, I'm sure we could find many willing volunteers to help do that.

"Stop the madness" Stop the anger and disrespect. Lets get back to talking about geocaching and the wonderful hobby we all enjoy. If you have so much time to say such nasty things, you are not geocaching enough. It will help clear the mind :)B)

MH

edit: forgot the "not" in the last sentence

Edited by Mechanics Hands

1) CO Admin - my apologies. I can understand and accept it if a warning is issued to me. I stand behind what I said, and I'll take my spanking for it. However. I could not let that go this time.

2) GrizzlyJohn -

But I still have not heard a reason of why people are so against an OT forum. It is like anything else, if you don't want to read then don't.

You must not be reading then - it isn't about whether an OT forum exists - though many seem to want it (and if you had read the other thread, you'd see I wouldn't mind it either). What is so obnoxious is people who seem to want to stomp all over other people who have either high post counts or are AS regulars. You know, if you have a problem with somebody, take it up in a PM. Don't come into the forums, publicly insult people and expect not to take flak for it. I don't know why that seems to be such a problem for you. Unless you'd like us all to shut up and let people walk all over others.

I'm not laying down for you or anyone else.

Cant people jsut show simple respect and courtesy? Common now is it really that hard. Or do people like being jerks just to be jerks? ju66l3r I read your original post adn was amazed you had the gall to make the comments you did. TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR and very DISRESPECTFUL IMHO. I have never read the AS thread, not really interested in it. But for you to make comments like those we just downright uncalled for, and intentionally nasty. Although I didnt fall into the group you were insulting, I was insulted that you insulted so many others of this community. No need for it at all.

Sadly when I read the post I was like "oh here we go again this is goin to get nasty" Sure enough it headed that way. Isnt there enough hate and discontent in the realworld to deal with, without bringing it here? Why do people have to insist on insulting, slamming or attacking people. Oh thats right, because its so much easier to do that from behind a computer screen. Oh they're just words who cares. Most people would have been knocked on the butt and holding their teeth in their hands if they said even a small portion the the thigns they say here in teh forum, if they said them face to face. Last time I checked there were real people with real feelings behind every computer. Lets keep that in mind.

If you cant show some respect, cant stop finding any excuse to attack or insult a moderator, if you cant fight the urge to stir garbage up, then take the keys off your keyboard, I'm sure we could find many willing volunteers to help do that.

"Stop the madness" Stop the anger and disrespect. Lets get back to talking about geocaching and the wonderful hobby we all enjoy. If you have so much time to say such nasty things, you are geocaching enough. It will help clear the mind B):o

MH

Very well put, MH. I've actually learned a lot from you in the past week....a lot about myself, that is. You seem to be a good voice of reason, which lately has been pretty scant in the forums. Nice touch. :)

I must be "attention deficient" too, Sparky. I've got 8 windows open on my computer right now. However, I know what is going on in each one without having to go back and re-read any of it. I'm also working, running 11 wafer polishers (they cost about a million bucks each) and supervising my crew.

[Homer voice]Mmmmm.....polished wafers......[/Homer voice]

When I read the post in the closed topic, I just about fell out of my chair this evening. It was absolutely uncalled for. ju66l3r, you need to respect the people who post on these boards. If you want to pass out broad-brushed insults to the members, please leave the board and do it elsewhere. The funny thing is that you actually have to have quite the attention to the topic to keep up with AS. Your comment is not only insulting but is absolutely and totally incorrect.

If you cannot keep up and do not like the topic, then don't read it. If there is a TV show that you don't like, don't you just change the channel? Surely you just don't sit there and watch it and complain about it.

I sub in at least 18 school buildings, and my 20-year-old IS ADHD. Typically, about seventh grade their "friends" fall away, hang out elsewhere, find them too hard to be around a lot. They get grouchy, depressed, the cycle gets worse....Not much like these AS regulars, I think. As to others.....

Don't like AS, myself. Too much attention required.

And why is it that CoAdmin gets attacked again????? Convenient scapegoat?

Been gone about a week, and I DID do my homework and read, so don't flame me. One of my daughter's characteristics is that, It's not enough for her to get something, someone else has to be left out...then she might be happy."

If it's not off-topic and the discussion is on-topic and civil (the most recently closed thread was *FAR* from a "flame-fest" and didn't attack anyone personally), then it should be left open for discussion.  If the actions of the poster are such as to generate a flame-fest, then the specific poster should be punished appropriately.  The thread should only be closed when it has no redeeming value based on its topic (due to digression or being begun in an off-topic nature).

Moderate in moderation.

Of course, this previous paragraph would have best been applied to the discussion in Snoogan's thread, but it was closed far too prematurely.  This post is for the discussion of how poor the moderation was there and how quickly I have picked up my first warning regarding my posting on-topic and without specific harm (hours after the posting, and in a closed thread no less).

Very well. I agree.

Based on these two statement from the original poster of the topic, the Abject Silliness topic should not be discussed any further. Please ONLY discuss when or if topics should be closed. Since your warning related to the other topic, your warning should not be discussed either.

Once again, please only discuss your opinions of the closing of the other topic.

Again your opinion, one not shared by many. It was taken as an insult by other (non-AS regulars).  Me I could care less about your opinion.

If you were to do any amount of research on ADD/ADHD you would find that those who suffer from this disorder tend to be more intelligent than the average kid on the block. The also have an intuitive grasp of very abstract concepts that baffle most people.

Thank you very much! B)

I'm an adult that has lived with ADD all her life (since before it was the "in" thing to diagnose) and I'm not quite sure if I should be the one insulted by many of the AS regulars being insulted by being compared to someone with ADD or not... :o (whew, what a sentence!)

Like Norbu said, it's a "Filter" thing where our brains just function differently. For me it's like tuning a radio. Need to concentrate harder to get rid of all the static but once the station is locked I can keep my focus just as long (if not longer) than many "normal" functioning brains.

I lurk in AS occasionally when the board is particularly slow and get a good chuckle occasionally but don't stay long because it is actually too much "static" for this poor brain of mine to handle. I have NO problem what-so-ever that others enjoy it though.

I also wouldn't mind and OT forum but if not, no biggie.

As far as the moderation on the forum goes... I am occasionally suprised that some topics get shut-down while others are allowed to continue (not talking about AS, since it is an 'exception to the rule'), but the moderators are only human (I think!) and as humans they have to use their best judgement. They will never please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Such is life.

Let's all just kiss and make-up, agree to disagree, and all those other cliches... :)

There was nothing insultory in saying that AS fits a person with attention-deficit because of the style forced upon it by the linear nature of a single topic as opposed to the branching nature of an OT forum.

Again your opinion, one not shared by many. It was taken as an insult by other (non-AS regulars). Me I could care less about your opinion.

Hmmmm if you "could care less" about his opinion, then why are you continuing to debate it? Seems to me if you actually didn't care you wouldn't be posting any rebutal to his opinion.

Thorin

You must not be reading then - it isn't about whether an OT forum exists - though many seem to want it (and if you had read the other thread, you'd see I wouldn't mind it either). What is so obnoxious is people who seem to want to stomp all over other people who have either high post counts or are AS regulars. You know, if you have a problem with somebody, take it up in a PM. Don't come into the forums, publicly insult people and expect not to take flak for it. I don't know why that seems to be such a problem for you. Unless you'd like us all to shut up and let people walk all over others.

I'm not laying down for you or anyone else.

AS has become about OT forums, from the way I see it, because I have seen at least several times posters being told when posting OT that that is what AS is for.

I also did not point to you asking to explain why people have a problem with having an OT forum, nor did I say that you did not want one. It was a question to anybody that had an answer. And unless I have missed it I still don't have a reason. Please poin it out if I have missed and answer.

If you feel someone does not have the right (not the best word but nothing else comes to mind) to make broad sweeping statements then I am not sure someone has the right (see above disclaimer) to tell someone how they should deal with their problems with someone else.

But I guess in the end it really is a matter of what is an insult and what is not. We happen to not agree on that. I don't find a broad sweeping statement an insult unless it applies to you. Even then if it is true how can it be an insult? But to put a name to a specific statement which is not true then makes it an insult.

I have never suggested or said for you or anyone else to shut up, allow people to walk over them, or lay down.

I'm not sure why but maybe it's because, after all that he appeared to have done, the only response from the admins here are guideline quotes where you have to show respect on the forums.

maybe.....

And this was discussed at the time of the other thread.

People were on both sides of the issue that gc.com and/or CO Admin should offer an explanation and if appropriate an appology. Some said yes, some said no.

It seems that a decision was made not to do that. OK. But understand that there was without a doubt a very strong feeling by some members of the coummunity of what happened. And maybe without that explanation and or appology some of those people feel that nothing was done and it is just business as usual and that nothing was learned by the people involved. Not saying that is the case but I don't think you have to be a unreasonable person to come to that conclusion if you wish. So in my mind it was a decision of "acceptable loss", we don't want to explain/appologize and we are willing to deal with any negative actions that may come with that. That's fine, but now the other side of the coin is face up.

In the end I think it mattered where you were starting from. If you were one of the kool-aid drinkers then it is a done deal, nothing to see here folks, lets move along. If you had problems with TPTB before that only confirmed things for you. If you were on the fence I suspect you broke one way or the other with a small number still on the fence. Those are likely the only people that will be swayed either way by action or inaction from TPTB.

I have to really treat what ju66l3r has said how I treat any sort of stereotype, if the shoe fits wear it. He made a broad statement based on his opinion. I don't think anyone actually ever takes such statements as all encompassing.

I know if something is said against my ethnic background, or whatever sort of group that a person may make up and lump me with, I look at it in a couple of ways. Either it is true at which point I really can't get upset. Or it is not true which means the person is not talking about me. So if they are not talking about me then I can't get upset. I think people tend to get upset at things that are true or generally true but don't want to admit about themselves or the group they are a part of.

If a person does not have what you feel to be the correct background or experience to make the type of judgement made, then what does it matter? If you say my wife looks like a fat pig, but have never seen her, what does it matter?

For me I just would have no time if I allowed everything to offend me that the population as a whole lets themselves be offended by. I just put a helmet on and move on.

But I still have not heard a reason of why people are so against an OT forum. It is like anything else, if you don't want to read then don't. How f-ing hard is that? There are posts I see here all the time that may very well have everything in the world to do with geocaching or maybe not. But I can read a subject line and know that I don't have any interest. So I just move along.

And repeating the guidelines over and over again does nothing. If you think the guidelines are being broken so often, I think either that means that the interpretation is way off base or perhaps the guidelines do not reflect the feelings of the community. But of course that is just my opinion which at this point in time I don't really know if it is against the guidelines or not.

Reposting the guidelines has always been a way of indicating that the thread in question is getting close to violating those guidelines. It servers as a reminder to all posting in the thread without having to single out any one person. It does not indicate that the guidelines have been broken but simply that the thread it getting close to that point.

If a thread requires multiple postings of the guidelines it does not indicate that the guidelines are defective but that the thread has pushed the edge several times. The moderators have found that posting the guidelines is less of an accusation and more of a reminder.

Reposting the guidelines has always been a way of indicating that the thread in question is getting close to violating those guidelines. It servers as a reminder to all posting in the thread without having to single out any one person. It does not indicate that the guidelines have been broken but simply that the thread it getting close to that point.

I think the generic reposting of a section of the guidelines is counterproductive ... it means to me that the admin. is unable to pinpoint any specific issue or problem, but still wants to somehow "strong arm" the thread. In my opinion, that is not "moderation in moderation."

In other words, and for better or worse, reposting a section of the guidelines is sometimes used by admins as a way of derailing (or perhaps re-railing) a thread.

Edited by BassoonPilot
Based on these two statement from the original poster of the topic, the Abject Silliness topic should not be discussed any further. Please ONLY discuss when or if topics should be closed. Since your warning related to the other topic, your warning should not be discussed either.

Once again, please only discuss your opinions of the closing of the other topic.

Unfortunately, mtn-man, the premise for the closure in the other thread was the perceived insultory nature of my comments and the perceived insultory nature of the responses. Therefore, in order to discuss the quality and timeliness of the moderation, we must examine the logic behind the closure. Plucking leaves does not kill a weed; the root is at issue, too.

As such, I continue to see posts that think that I'm talking about people who choose to post in AS as ADD/ADHD patients and so on. That is simply not true and I am not the only one who read it correctly to understand this.

AS is currently only good for the attention deficient who live for either piecing together the past day's thoughts in 2-3 post chunks amid other 2-3 post chunks or for those who want to know the last 30 minutes of thoughts from the group...since to know any more would require thumbing through pages of posts.

An off-topic forum is good for pushing all of those things that can't be posted here but would continue to foster a tight-knit community stemming from a love for this game but growing from a love for each other's other interests and thoughts.

In these two statements, I set up a comparison: AS vs OT Forum. I claim that AS is not an appropriate and useful replacement for an OT forum. It is not good for people who want to discuss OT things in a meaningful way because of the choppy nature of linear threading. That choppy nature lends itself only to being helpful to people who like watching the commercials between the long stretches of TV shows (or what I called "attention deficient"). That is not an insult, it is a comment on the utility of AS.

All regular AS posters may actually despise the nature of AS but embrace it because of its unique presence as an OT area in the current forum (and it's martyred status due to outside attacks on its existence). If they don't despise its nature, then they aren't considering all of the benefits of branched discussion boards (can't see the forest through the trees) or they truly believe that AS is the best means to discuss all things non-geocaching (at which point they are embracing a poor discussion structure that lends itself to making rapid turnover of discussion the only means of getting anything said).

Since I have yet to see anyone say that AS is the best at dealing with OT posts (other than Jeremy and the Mods, because it is the only way they will agree to have OT posting here), then the latter does not apply to any of you. I have only stated that the AS thread format is best (or even good) for those who feel their OT comments should only be served like Waffle House hashbrowns....covered, smothered, diced, chopped....served to your plate in 5 minutes....gone in another 5. For everyone else here, who might like to discuss OT things from occasion to occasion, there should be an OT forum.

Reading Comprehension 101...class dismissed.

Now, again, I point out that there is nothing insultory in that and therefore the moderation of that post and its thread was highly unnecessary. If you think I insulted you or others because I said that the thread-based method of AS is only good for high-turnover thought processes, then you must be a thread-based method. Otherwise, you keyed-in on a few phrases and didn't actually read what I wrote. I suspect mtn-man (who warned me because of my posting), CO Admin (who closed Snoogan's thread), and anyone who continues to believe that I'm offending them with my characterization of the utility of a thread fall in this latter group of people.

I think the moderators should take the time to read what they are going to determine to be offensive.

I must be "attention deficient" too, Sparky. I've got 8 windows open on my computer right now. However, I know what is going on in each one without having to go back and re-read any of it. I'm also working, running 11 wafer polishers (they cost about a million bucks each) and supervising my crew.

Hey! I used to polish wafers too, worked in the production line from beginning to end, move on to quality assurance, then to engineering and then got laid off in the big one. How big arethey now, like 7 inches diameter? I was there back when they were still 3" going to 4" and we still went through some 2" ones too.

We now return you back to our regularly scheduled b****fest.

Edited by Planet

How is talking about threads in the forum, discussing geoCaching?

Please explain to me. ALso, why not talk to admins privately?

I think your post was a little insulting. The word deficient and this phrase, "since to know any more would require thumbing through pages of posts." both give a connotation of a superior looking down on others. People are different, but you don't have to use such loaded ways of pointing it out.

I did read what you wrote, but your poor judgment in word choice still is offensive. Get over it. It doesn't make you a bad person.

I for one agree with the closing of that thread. And I think that you should look at yourself, rather than telling everyone else what to do.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to say, MH put it best! so, that is why I am not being all sunshine and happy. It seems like although people say nice things about saying nice things, the people who really need to listen, just don't seem to hear it.

Edited by norbu
Didn't we tell you this is AS version 2.0.
I'm not sure why he didn't but he didn't so what's the difference? Likely because he felt the discussion needed to include more then just 1 or 2 admins.
I think your post was a little insulting. The word deficient
Nothing is ever going to be all sunshine and roses, if someone chooses to interpret a word negatively then that's they're choice. I agree that the word "deficient" on it's own has negative conotation but in the context it was used it wasn't negative it was simply illustratory (...good word eh?).
and this phrase, "since to know any more would require thumbing through pages of posts."
Uh the thread is over 700 pages, he stated a fact what's wrong with that?
both give a connotation of a superior looking down on others. People are different, but you don't have to use such loaded ways of pointing it out.
Again I think this all has to do with how you read it, and how you view life (half full/half empty).
I did read what you wrote, but your poor judgment in word choice still is offensive. Get over it. It doesn't make you a bad person.
IMHO word choice should be irrelevant. For example if you do a drawing and someone says "I've seen better" and someone else says "It's the best I've seen from you". It all means the same, it's up to you how you take it. (Either way your drawing isn't the greatest).
I for one agree with the closing of that thread.
Seems like the majority kinda do.
And I think that you should look at yourself, rather than telling everyone else what to do.
We all should.....

Thorin

Edit: Fixed a typo....

Edited by thorin

Thorin. I do read things without offense for the most part. Being Buddhist helps a lot with that. In fact I listen to Dharma talks a lot while i write code.

The opinion you decided to chop apart above, is based on looking at it from a technical point of view. It is completely possible for many many people to take his statements exactly as I characterized it, or close. Many people have said as much.

regard it as thinking aloud, as if I was a mod...I would have closed it too, for the reasons I stated. I was trying to stay on topic for this thread, as requested by admins.

soooo, rather than chopping and analyzing my opinion and trying to tell me what is and how it is, just trust that I already know, please.

thanks.

No, insultory is NOT an English word. and I am an INTP thorin. :)

Edited by norbu
Thorin. I do read things without offense for the most part. Being Buddhist helps a lot with that. In fact I listen to Dharma talks a lot while i write code.
I know I quoted you, but I wasn't specifically responding to you. My comments on negativity/offense were directed to the group (though I guess I didn't make it clear). And sorry for the choppyness but it was the easiest way to address things.
The opinion you decided to chop apart above, is based on looking at it from a technical point of view.
I know that's part of why I used it :)
It is completely possible for many many people to take his statements exactly as I characterized it, or close. Many people have said as much.
Yup I hear ya, and I hear alot of others saying they took his statements exactly as you did. It just surprises me that all this crud has blown up over the choice of basically a single word.
regard it as thinking aloud, as if I was a mod...I would have closed it too, for the reasons I stated. I was trying to stay on topic for this thread, as requested by admins
Aren't we all thinking aloud here?
soooo, rather than chopping and analyzing my opinion and trying to tell me what is and how it is, just trust that I already know, please.
Again I did quote you but I wasn't specifically responding to you. I thought your post was great, having all those thoughts together was simply the most convenient way to communicate with the group.
No, insultory is NOT an English word.
Ummm actually my word was "illustratory" ....... perhaps you're replying to an earlier question though.....
and I am an INTP thorin.
Cool! I don't know many other people who have done that test but it's nice to run in to them once in a while and see how it really applies.

Thanks,

Thorin

took his statements exactly as you did. It just surprises me that all this crud has blown up over the choice of basically a single word.

Hehehee, I didn't take it that way really. I don't really care too much.

I do think it is surprising also, and a little appalling. :)

thanks!

Oh, and I actually took the Kiersey with a shrink, fun fun.

and yeah, the thing about the word was in response to GentleWind.

namaste

Yup I hear ya, and I hear alot of others saying they took his statements exactly as you did. It just surprises me that all this crud has blown up over the choice of basically a single word.

I don't think it was just the one word. It was the entire derogatory, condescending tone of his post (many words slung together) that most are finding to be insulting. :)

I don't think it was just the one word. It was the entire derogatory, condescending tone of his post (many words slung together) that most are finding to be insulting. :)

Dead on sparky........ If you take one little peice of a post, its easy to be out of context. However if you look at the complete post it just adds up and paints a clear picture.

MH

Thorin replied:

Didn't we tell you this is AS version 2.0.

I'm not sure why he didn't but he didn't so what's the difference? Likely because he felt the discussion needed to include more then just 1 or 2 admins.

I think your post was a little insulting. The word deficient

Nothing is ever going to be all sunshine and roses, if someone chooses to interpret a word negatively then that's they're choice. I agree that the word "deficient" on it's own has negative conotation but in the context it was used it wasn't negative it was simply illustratory (...good word eh?).

and this phrase, "since to know any more would require thumbing through pages of posts."

Uh the thread is over 700 pages, he stated a fact what's wrong with that?

both give a connotation of a superior looking down on others. People are different, but you don't have to use such loaded ways of pointing it out.

Again I think this all has to do with how you read it, and how you view life (half full/half empty).

Agreed, guess i just never took his comments as insults. Actually sounded like he described the AS thread pretty well. Im not sure why that thread bothers him so much, but it doesnt matter either. The thread seems to be more of a chatroom of sorts, where there is no specific topic to follow. Like someone said earlier, its better than a chat because you can leave, then come back later and catch up with what you missed.

And Sunshine:

Let's all just kiss and make-up, agree to disagree, and all those other cliches...

Good idea! Pucker up Sun,,,,,,hehe :) Seriously, i admit that it is fun to read and sometimes post my views here. However, i still find it amazing that some of you get so involved, so intwined, so heartstrucken here in the forums. Surely there are other things in your life that are more important to you than worrying about how and what people here think!!!

I'd take the separate forum, but I think everyone on the site would benefit not from the AS topic alone, but an off-topic forum. If AS continues to exist in that forum, well then it exists, but non-geocaching related topics could still be created in the forum and discussed.

I'd take the separate forum, but I think everyone on the site would benefit not from the AS topic alone, but an off-topic forum. If AS continues to exist in that forum, well then it exists, but non-geocaching related topics could still be created in the forum and discussed.

The only problem is... someone would have to moderate this forum. Without a "Geocaching-only" guideline in place, there could be a free-for-all in thread creation which would be difficult, if not impossible to moderate. You would need a whole slew of new moderators to keep an eye on everything to prevent things from assuredly getting too out of hand.

The only problem is... someone would have to moderate this forum. Without a "Geocaching-only" guideline in place, there could be a free-for-all in thread creation which would be difficult, if not impossible to moderate. You would need a whole slew of new moderators to keep an eye on everything to prevent things from assuredly getting too out of hand.

Why do you think that? I participate in MUCH more active forums such as those at DSL Reports and they aren't moderated by more then 3 (with many being moderated by 1 or 2) individuals.

There are plenty of non-geocaching forums out there. For example, any one of you could start a Yahoo group for this same purpose, or host a PHP forum of your own, on a server to have this. Otherwise, I feel there really is no need for an OT forum, and yeah, I still think the thread was appropriately closed (wanting to stay on topic at least a little)

There are plenty of non-geocaching forums out there.

Of course there are. The purpose of adding it here is to have discussions on non-geocaching topics with the same folks you are having discussions about in other forums.

And it's also easier to minimize the number of forums/sites you need to constantly keep up. For example, I've only got enough time to stay current with DSL Reports (currently in the 26k post count there - close to 99% on topic with broadband/computer support) and then here on gc.com

In these two statements, I set up a comparison: AS vs OT Forum. I claim that AS is not an appropriate and useful replacement for an OT forum. It is not good for people who want to discuss OT things in a meaningful way because of the choppy nature of linear threading.

If this is THE ISSUE,asside from the (alleged) bad behavior.....then I can agree: Abject Silliness would be a rambling fun time, and Off Topic Forum would need to stick to some topic, say, "Sasquatch Sightings." But, then, why have that here in the Groundspeak forums? Have it somewhere else, perhaps. You have that ability.

And do you need to attack AS in order to get what you want?

Of course there are. The purpose of adding it here is to have discussions on non-geocaching topics with the same folks you are having discussions about in other forums.

And it's also easier to minimize the number of forums/sites you need to constantly keep up. For example, I've only got enough time to stay current with DSL Reports (currently in the 26k post count there - close to 99% on topic with broadband/computer support) and then here on gc.com

How much time does it take to switch forums...I doubt that time is key.

The only problem is... someone would have to moderate this forum. Without a "Geocaching-only" guideline in place, there could be a free-for-all in thread creation which would be difficult, if not impossible to moderate.

:) Just think of all the possibilities for such a forum beyond AS ... there could be a slew of "...Continue Story with 5 words," "You add the Caption," and "The Person Below Me..." threads. Oh, joy! Oh, rapture!!

Perhaps Jeremy should consider creating an "Off Topic" forum and take a cue from cable TV. Make the forum "pay-per-post." Also, make it a "moderator-free zone," with an "enter at your own risk" notice on the main Topics page.

That would effectively address several "hot" issues. B)

And why is it that CoAdmin gets attacked again????? Convenient scapegoat?

I'm not sure why but maybe it's because, after all that he appeared to have done, the only response from the admins here are guideline quotes where you have to show respect on the forums.

maybe.....

It could be that the policy of the Admins is not to respond to personal attacks. I think it is a good policy and one that the rest of us should adopt, myself included.

Now back on topic. I've stated before that I would like to see the AS thread moved out of the General forums to one of it's own. I personally don't care for the thread, but I can see the need, and I understand the enjoyment that others derive from it.

I think it would be great to have a OT forum and even and on site chat room. However I don't beleive it's the responsibility, nor the obligation of GC to provide such a forum.

El Diablo

Then why do you think it would be more money? Does each forum on this board cost gc.com money? If so, I think they can consolidate some forums to save cash (no pun intended). If not, it's likely about 5 mins of work to pick someone to moderate and then create the forum.

OOOH took me awhile to get back. The money would to be purchase the hardware for the forum. It would be just an idea to help Groundspeak help us.

The pussification of the forums is mirroring the pussification of the game in general. Don’t count on Seattle to depussify either. :)

Gee, if I typed something like that I'd get another threat via email from someone in Seattle; yet this one gets posted? What am I doing wrong? Am I being to polite?

The pussification of the forums is mirroring the pussification of the game in general.  Don’t count on Seattle to depussify either. :o

Gee, if I typed something like that I'd get another threat via email from someone in Seattle; yet this one gets posted? What am I doing wrong? Am I being to polite?

It is kinda hard to understand. Trust me...I know. He is like the "Special" child of GC. :) He really means no harm. B) We just try to work around him when he appears. :)

El Diablo

There are plenty of non-geocaching forums out there. For example, any one of you could start a Yahoo group for this same purpose, or host a PHP forum of your own, on a server to have this. Otherwise, I feel there really is no need for an OT forum, and yeah, I still think the thread was appropriately closed (wanting to stay on topic at least a little)

Good point.

If a OT forum is needed why doesn't someone talk to the admins. Setup a Yahoo forum and get it linked here like Clay's chat is.

Thorin

The pussification of the forums is mirroring the pussification of the game in general.  Don’t count on Seattle to depussify either. :mad:

It is kinda hard to understand. Trust me...I know. He is like the "Special" child of GC. :mad: He really means no harm. <_< We just try to work around him when he appears. <_<

El Diablo

LOL !!!

The pussification of the forums is mirroring the pussification of the game in general.  Don’t count on Seattle to depussify either. <_<

Hmmm, Criminal IS a special case here. He did not post his usual Friday thread inciting hilarity, panic and the usual healthy dose of "HUH". I guess this was it??

There are usually a few folks around that thrive on sniping and generally throwing grenades. BTW, this thread seems to be staying (close to) on topic and the ADD types seem to be playing well with others. My concern is this thread will become AS, just based on the topic.

Edited by Team Tecmage
There are plenty of non-geocaching forums out there. For example, any one of you could start a Yahoo group for this same purpose, or host a PHP forum of your own, on a server to have this.  Otherwise, I feel there really is no need for an OT forum, and yeah, I still think the thread was appropriately closed (wanting to stay on topic at least a little)

Good point.

If a OT forum is needed why doesn't someone talk to the admins. Setup a Yahoo forum and get it linked here like Clay's chat is.

Thorin

Then everyone has to open a new account, check another site everyday, etc... That experiment was tried already (Woodsters) and it failed.