Stash Notes.

We have a pretty standard stash note that gives a fairly good intro to geoaching. However with 20/20 hind sight would you change anything on it?

Take a shot at it!

Plus if you are working with the inside of the lid of an altoids tin or Decon container you don't have a bunch of space. What's truly important when space is at a premium?

Perhaps Sparky's pic of the claymore mines with a note that says, "If you mess with this, one of these will get you!" :laughing:

On the more serious side I think that an explanation of why not to take it is best. Also the current Printout could be paraphrased for shortness.

Edited by Beta Test

I re-wrote the stash note quite some time ago so it would fit in the lid of a 30 cal ammo box and also in my decon boxes.

My version says:

Geocache Site - Please Read.

Congratulations, you found it! This container is part of a sport for GPS (Global Position System) users called geocaching. Participants post the coordinates of containers like this one on the Internet so others can find them.

THIS CONTAINER IS NOT ABANDONED AND IS THE PERSONAL PROPERTY OF THE PARTICIPANT.

If you found this by accident please do not move it. Note your visit in the logbook and if you take an item, please leave one in return. If possible, let us know you found this at: WWW.GEOCACHING.COM.

If you have any questions, or concerns about this container visit the above website, or contact me at briansnat@att.net.

Edited by briansnat

I also have an even shorter one for very small micros:

This container is part of a sport for GPS users called geocaching.

THIS CONTAINER IS NOT ABANDONED AND IS THE PERSONAL PROPERTY OF THE PARTICIPANT.

If you found this by accident please do not move it. To find out more about geocaching visit WWW.GEOCACHING.COM.

If you have any questions, or concerns about this container contact me at briansnat@att.net.

I left the part about "please do not vandalize it" out because I figure anyone who is gonna vandalize will do it whether or not that's there and I don't want to put the idea in people's heads. I can't picture a muggle saying "Hmmm, I was gonna vandalize this, but since they asked me not to..." But I can see them thinking "Hmmm, vandalize...good idea, hehehe".

Edited by briansnat

Briansnat wrote:

I left the part about "please do not vandalize it" out because I figure anyone who is gonna vandalize will do it whether or not that's there and I don't want to put the idea in people's heads. I can't picture a muggle saying "Hmmm, I was gonna vandalize this, but since they asked me not to..." But I can see them thinking "Hmmm, vandalize...good idea, hehehe".

Hehe, I always delete the "Please do not vandalize it" statement also. I can just see some muggle saying, "Oh, so now you're telling me what to do huh? Mr. Smart Member-of-some-exclusive-treasure-club, what're your buddies gonna think when they see this!?!" *Crash, boom, smash, bang*

I wonder if anyone's done any research on the effectiveness of the geocaching note on your average a**hole. If I can get a grant for the study, I can test each note out and we can decide on the best wording.

Someone wrote to me a few months ago and asked if I would take a stab at writing a new version of the stash note along the same lines as the brochure. It sounds like a neat idea, but it also sounds like just doubling efforts.

I've thought about attaching a pocket to the lid of an ammo can and sliding several copies of the brochure down inside it with a note on the outside of the envelope that says, "Did you find this by accident? Please take one of these."

I think it would fit most ammo cans pretty well...of course, that's just ammo cans.

Just a thought.

Bret

Edited by CYBret
I've thought about attaching a pocket to the lid of an ammo can and sliding several copies of the brochure down inside it with a note on the outside of the envelope that says, "Did you find this by accident? Please take one of these."

I've found some letterboxes that use this method. They have a "what is letterboxing" letter that is somewhat similar to the geocaching stash note. Most of the letterboxes I've found had stacks of the letter for accidental finders to take.

I've been doing that sort of thing with my regular-sized caches. I have a ziplock bag inside with the stash note and several copies of both your brochure and the NYGO brochure.

I still use the original note but I also put my email address on the stash note AND on the outside of the cache somewhere. That way, people can get in touch with me if they find it and have questions or comments. :)

The only other thing I added was a little blurb about travel bugs:

"If there is a 'travel bug' in this cache, it is NOT a trade item. Please read the TB's goal tag (if it has one) before you take it. If you cannot help this bug move along quickly, don't take it! If you have no clue what a travel bug is, visit this website: (tb web site address)."

I use a smaller note to tape inside the lid of my lock 'n 'lock caches which basically says the same thing as the original stash note.

I edit mine to make it shorter and to the point. It doesn't really matter what the note says if the finder has to dig through the swag to find it. I've found too many caches with crumpled stash notes at the bottom of the container. The information, edited or not, needs to be one of the first things seen. I haven't seen too many others who do it but I like to laminate mine and glue it to the lid of my ammo can caches

I have a short version of the stashnote available on plastic cards that I print your info on. They can be super-glued to the top of ammo cans very easily and can be tucked easily into most micros. They are almost completely indestructible and take up little space so you could tuck a couple in. I won't be so 'commercial' as to post a link here, but if that interests you please contact me. They aren't free, but they do work very well for this.

I haven't seen too many others who do it but I like to laminate mine and glue it to the lid of my ammo can caches.

I've got one cache hidden. It's a 12 ounce container with a round lid. I printed an abbreviated stash note using a circle lable template, laminated it and glued it in the lid. I also placed stickers with important info all around the top inside of the container so they couldn't possibly be missed....

This said, my first container went MIA anyway.

This container is part of a sport for GPS users called geocaching.

Pretty good note, except the GPS users are called geocachers, not geocaching.

Kill not spare.

Mr. BrianSnat, please see me after school!

Thank you.

LOL <_<

Besides, 'true' GPS users are technically called "land surveyors". <_<

Is there an index of stash notes? (and I dont mean the links on gc.com)

I mean a site that has links or many different types of stash note?

I've checked multiple places including several websites but you can only find a couple here or there. Even atb_search.gifSearch wasn't that much help. (Although I did find this thread :rolleyes: )

Is there an index of stash notes?  (and I dont mean the links on gc.com)

I've checked multiple places including several websites but you can only find a couple here or there.  Even atb_search.gifSearch wasn't that much help.  (Although I did find this thread  :rolleyes: )

Texas Geocaching Association has these pages for micros and travel bugs.

Go to their home page and click on Tools for other neat stuff!!!

Two thoughts on "stash notes" (as I have just learned they seem to be called):

1) The Groundspeak version seems too long. Make it shorter and also work on the formatting a bit and it will be more likely that finders read it. I like something closer to what was posted above.

2) The biggest omission is that the note needs to cover trackables. We could save alot of trackables from going missing if every cache had a stash note that instructed newbies that these aren't for keeping.

<snip>

2) The biggest omission is that the note needs to cover trackables. We could save alot of trackables from going missing if every cache had a stash note that instructed newbies that these aren't for keeping.

</snip>

I have started attaching a laminated note to my trackables with the mission printed on it so people know right away where it is meant to go as soon as they pick it up.

1) The Groundspeak version seems too long. Make it shorter and also work on the formatting a bit and it will be more likely that finders read it. I like something closer to what was posted above.

You can print out a letter to include with the trackables. There is a link on the trackable page.

1) The Groundspeak version seems too long. Make it shorter and also work on the formatting a bit and it will be more likely that finders read it.
I agree. Here's the text I've come up with for the supplemental stash notes/logs that I keep in my geocaching kit:
Congratulations! You found an official geocache!

Geocaching is a high-tech scavenger hunt using GPS. This container is a part of that game. The basic rules are:

1. If you take something, then leave something.

2. Sign the log.

3. Put the container back where you found it.

Please re-seal the container carefully so it remains weatherproof. Do not leave anything edible, dangerous, or illegal. If you take something, please leave something at least as valuable as what you took.

The game is open to everyone. To join us, or to learn more, visit

www.geocaching.com

If this container happens to be on private property and you wish it removed, please let us know. We apologize, and will be happy to move it.

For the smaller (micro-size) stash notes, I leave out the sentences about what kinds of things to leave or not to leave.

I've thought about adding a sentence or two about trackables to my stash note text, but I haven't come up with anything I've been happy with yet.

I don't have much faith in stash notes, as all my caches that have gotten muggled had a stash note.

However, I do put something in. My latest cache has this under the lid:

OFFICIAL GEOCACHE

Please sign the logbook,

return cache as found and

write about your experience on

www.geocaching.com.

Sometimes I will put an email address or cell phone number in.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I print this out to the size of a credit card and then run it through a small laminator to protect it.

stashnote-photo.jpg

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my phone number

Very nice, I'll bet that looks awesome laminated.

Ignore that phone number stuff, that was from the old days, and it's a very old thread. I haven't seen anyone do that in years. :lol:

Man, does the OP really have 24,000 posts? And he himself hasn't posted in years. Must have taken a 12 step program or something. :ph34r:

Is there an index of stash notes?  (and I dont mean the links on gc.com)

I've checked multiple places including several websites but you can only find a couple here or there.  Even atb_search.gifSearch wasn't that much help.  (Although I did find this thread  :rolleyes: )

Texas Geocaching Association has these pages for micros and travel bugs.

Go to their home page and click on Tools for other neat stuff!!!

The link to "these pages" does not work, and for the poster about commas, for myself, I, didn't pay attention, at least to that part, of school, which taught, comma use, at least in my school, perhaps! , LOL,

I've thought about adding a sentence or two about trackables to my stash note text, but I haven't come up with anything I've been happy with yet.
I recently edited the stash note (cache note) text on the extra log sheets that I print and carry with me. It looks like Groundspeak has updated the text for their cache notes as well, so I borrowed some of their language for my updated version:

Congratulations! You found an official geocache!

Geocaching is a high-tech scavenger hunt where players (geocachers) use GPS to find hidden containers (like this one). The basic rules are:

1. Sign and date the log sheet.
  2. Trade items if you want to, just remember to leave something of equal or greater value.
  3. Re-hide the container exactly where and how you found it.

Please re-seal the container carefully so it stays weather-proof. Do not leave anything edible, dangerous, or illegal.

If you find something labeled “Trackable at Geocaching.com”, then it’s best to leave it in the geocache unless you know what to do with it.

To join us, or to learn more, visit

www.geocaching.com

If this container happens to be on private property and you wish it removed, then please let us know. We apologize, and will be happy to move it.

On my micro-sized log sheets, I made a few minor edits to get the line breaks to fall in better places, and I left out the sentences about things not to leave and about trackables.

Coming soon to a geocache near you...