Shopping For A New Jeep...and A Lawyer

Didn’t even want to be awake, but I had to get to the airport. So there I was, on the interstate driving towards Nashville at 4am. I had only gone a few miles when I saw them. They looked like headlights coming in my direction. How could that be? I’m northbound on a divided interstate. Nope, they’re definitely on my side. Worse, it looks like they’re in my lane!

I’ve heard that if this happens, you should slow and get right. I had been driving in the left-most lane so I cut over a few lanes. Much to my surprise, the oncoming vehicle cut left. He was still coming at me, so I cut hard back to the left. So does he.

By now, the separation between the two vehicles had reduced greatly. I remember being close enough to tell that it looked like a truck rather than a car. I also remember thinking that I was not going to be able to avoid a collision.

Next, I remember feeling, but not hearing, the collision. At this point, I remember not being able to see anything because my airbags had deployed. I felt my WJ spinning and then I felt a smaller collision from behind. I had spun around and hit the center median with my passenger side quarter. My jeep then slid down the median for about twenty feet before stopping.

I sat there for a little bit, taking stock and finding my cellular phone. I tried my door, not really expecting it to open. Surprisingly, it did. I stepped out of the remains of my jeep, happy that neither leg or ankle had been broken. I dialed 911 as I looked around. A trucker and a few cars had already stopped. To my right, I could see that the pickup that had hit me pretty much hadn’t moved from the impact site. It was ablaze. I’m somewhat ashamed that I can remember not caring whether the owner was still in it or not.

I had to start twice to explain to the emergency operator that an accident had happened. Turns out they already knew. I discovered that my white shirt was covered in blood…mine. I reached up to my face and came back with a bloody hand. I didn’t know it at the time, but I had a pretty bad gash between my lip and chin. I also had a bad cut on the inside of my mouth and had bitten through my tongue in three or four places.

I retrieved my wallet and pda from inside my console, which was twisted strangely. I also had another call to make. There was no way that I was going to let my wife learn what happened from the police or hospital.

Police, fire and ambulances showed up within a few minutes of the accident. Paramedics began asking all of the questions to determine whether I had rattled my brain too hard or was in shock. They strapped me to a backboard and were about to put me in the ambulance when my wife arrived. I asked her to talk to the troopers and find out where my jeep was going to be taken, then meet me at the nearby hospital. I’ve found that in high stress situations, it’s best to give her something to do so she doesn’t break down. I called work from within the ambulance, sirens in the background. Needless to say, they were very understanding about my not making it to the airport.

I mentioned that the 911 operator was already aware of the accident. This is because a couple guys on the southbound side of the interstate spotted the truck on the wrong side about seven miles (and three exits) north of the accident. The police were unable to reach him in time. The two guys stopped at the scene and pulled the drunk out of his truck. I had gotten out of mine as they were coming for me.

I got pretty lucky. My knees hit the bottom of the dash, but sustained no serious injury. The plastic surgeon used three layers of stitches to put my face back together. The doctors decided to not treat the wounds to the inside of my mouth and my tongue. Apparently, they heal better without stitches.

Later in the day, we went to the towing yard to retrieve personal property. This was the first time that I had actually seen the damage to the jeep. At the accident site, I had only seen the unmolested driver’s side and rear. The pickup had hit my jeep on the passenger side of the front bumper. The entire front and passenger side of the jeep is destroyed. While my seating position was completely undisturbed, a passenger in the front passenger seat would probably have been killed immediately. Passengers in the back seat would have been seriously injured. I don’t understand how the drunk escaped serious injury. The cab of his truck was very distorted and he did not have the benefit of an airbag. Drunk luck, I guess. I wasn’t able to recover much of my stuff. My GPSr died a horrible death, as did many of my belongings.

A trooper that spoke to us in the hospital told us that he was on the way to the hospital that the other driver had requested to be taken. He would be taken to jail as soon as he was released.

That was yesterday. Today, I’m hobbling around with sore knees and shoulders. My face is swollen and in pain. I can’t really talk in a way that can be understood as I’m trying to do so without using my lips or tongue.

A few weeks ago, my wife suggested that I drive her Acura to the airport. It gets better mileage than my Grand Cherokee and is older, so dings are less painful. I hadn’t made the switch, however. I just enjoyed driving my Jeep. It a good thing.

Edited by sbell111

Wow!! Good thing you are still with us and I am glad your injuries aren't worse. I once helped cut a guy and his wife and daughter out of an Acura that was involved in a similar accident. And, like in yours, the drunk in the other vehicle escaped almost all injuries.

Get another Jeep, quick. I love my Grand Cherokee.

Glad to hear you survived relatively unscathed. The Praetorian Guards must have been looking our for you. I think that thsi would definitly qualify you for grabbing one of the YJTB's from the pile at Geowoodstock2 this weekend. Your essay is bould to be a winner in the contest for a new full size Jeep.

My wife was in a major crash two years ago and the airbags saved her life too. I had to drive by the wreck on the way to the hospital. She too was all over the cell phone the first few minutes afterwards making plans. Funny how our survival instincts have develpoed to include this device.

At first when I started reading this I was waiting for a punch line, of the lights moving and chanigning withoyou. (like a mirror image is what i pictured) then shortly after realized the fear you faced. Glad to hear you faired through the experience with few minor injuries and nothing serious. And have to agree, get a new Jeep fast. There's nothing better than Jeep.

Ouch! Glad you're going to be OK and escaped with relatively minor damage to yourself, if not the Jeep.

My Wrangler has been tagged twice by other drivers, both times they immediately admitted fault (good thing too, I was rather annoyed at both of them) and their insurance paid, and both were fairly minor. I now refer to those two vehicles and others that make dangerous moves near me as "Anti-Jeep Missiles".

As others have stated..Wow...

Glad you are doing well...hope you heal up quickly!

And yeah, as RK said...drunks don't tense up when they are in an accident...so they fare better than their victims...unfortunately :laughing:

Take care,

Six

Wow, thank God you had airbags, no passengers with you, and the creep hit you on the passegner side rather than the driver's side. <_< I had an image in my head of how bad your car was going to be, but like Renegade Knight - seeing it makes a big difference!

And yes, the drunks always seem to pretty much walk away from the mayhem they cause - I guess being totally relaxed before you ram into another car makes a difference. :laughing: Glad to hear he went straight from the hospital into police custody.

Really glad to hear that you're going to be ok too. I had to chuckle a little about you giving your wife things to do to keep her from falling apart - I'm the same way if I don't have something to focus on (me being Rhubarb :D).

It's amazing to read your account of what happened. You seem to remember everything very clearly and kept your wits about you the whole time. Thank goodness for that.

Good luck on the Jeep contest - an essay of what happened with that pic of your Jeep should definitely be a contender for the prize!

Yikes!! Thank God you are okay!

Your Jeep could be a real wake up call for someone thinking about getting behind the wheel after drinking. Too bad it's after Prom season or I bet MADD would've had good use for it!

Here's hoping you heal quickly and are feeling better soon. :laughing:

Edited by SunshineSnuz

Good to hear you were able to walk away.

I've had my own encounter with a drunk. Destroyed my father's Bronco, but I was much luckier than you as I walked away with literally a single minor scratch--other than getting my bell rung.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

...and don't let their insurance agency of light either. You deserve at least put back just like you were, if not better.

As an attorney I am very saddened by stories like this and can only state "here is my card."

Just kidding. I am glad to hear that you are ok. Quit screwing around on GC and get some rest. :blink: Hope to see you back caching soon. Get well.

All I can say is "Yikes!" Glad to hear you were able to walk away!

I was reading it and expecting the "..he didn't have insurance..." or "...his license was already suspended..." punch line.

Keep us all informed...

Edited by Criminal
At first when I started reading this I was waiting for a punch line, of the lights moving and chanigning withoyou. (like a mirror image is what i pictured) then shortly after realized the fear you faced.

Egad, man! These were my thoughts exactly -- i was expecting a punch line. Had no idea there was a REAL "punch" coming! Always glad for a happy ending: you'll be okay, and the drunk is going to jail. Pity about the GPS death, though.

Just an idea -- when the 35mm pics get back, offer to let MADD or any of the other organizations use them for their safety campaign billboards. You may save someone else's life!

And yeah, as RK said...drunks don't tense up when they are in an accident...so they fare better than their victims...unfortunately :blink:

Take care,

Six

I don't understand how that affects it. Is it that if they don't get worked up their heart rate is slow so they don't bleed as much? Please explain.

Beta Test,Jul 1 2004, 01:11 PM

I don't understand how that affects it.  Is it that if they don't get worked up their heart rate is slow so they don't bleed as much?  Please explain.

Beta Test-

People who are intoxicated have a slower response time, so they don't "tense" up as much when involved in an accident. You get more injured by tensing up because your muscles are already in their "tense" or "contracted" position. For example, a friend of mine was in a head-on with a drunk. My friend bent the stearing wheel with his hands almost 90 degrees from the column. He broke his thumbs and tore almost all the muscle and ligaments in his hands. He can still no longer make a fist. The drunk, however, just "crumpled" onto the steering wheel and had no major injuries. The speed involved??? Less than 25 MPH, and my friend was able to exert so much force to bend the steering wheel.

That's why you hear some people say, "If you are gonna fall, don't fight it... Just crumple to the ground and you'll get hurt less than if you try and 'catch' yourself"

Hope this helps with your question.

Brad

And yeah, as RK said...drunks don't tense up when they are in an accident...so they fare better than their victims...unfortunately  :blink:

Take care,

Six

I don't understand how that affects it. Is it that if they don't get worked up their heart rate is slow so they don't bleed as much? Please explain.

It has to do with how tense or relaxed your muscles are..when you are intoxicated you do not anticipate an accident...therefore your body doesn't crash into things around you as easily if you were tensed up....they kind of move with the car....if that makes sense...

Polgara: Thank you...it was my first attemp at the "fire effect" in PhotoShop (The original says SixTen...I just edited it so it could fit as an avatar) :)

-Six

*Edit:Didn't see Bradtal's post...he explained it better than I did :)

Edited by SixTen
...Curious, how fast do you think you were going at the time of impact? And do you know how fast the drunk was going (approx)?

Beats me. I started out around 70, but slowed some. I don't have a clue how much. I never really smashed the brakes because I was trying to get out of the way.

Edited by sbell111
...Curious, how fast do you think you were going at the time of impact? And do you know how fast the drunk was going (approx)?

Beats me. I started out around 70, but slowed some. I don't have a clue how much. I never really smashed the brakes because I was trying to get out of the way.

Whoa, brother ... you are one lucky duck. Somehow you were able to avoid a more serious impact. Good job, and hope you heal quickly.

I can kinda imagine how it would feel for that vehicle to be oncoming. I had one time when a pick-up truck blew a tire on the other side of the expressway, crossed the ditch and ended up heading straight at me. I know at the time I thought I was going to die, but thankfully there was enough time in that case to avoid him. That was in broad daylight, I can imagine that having it happen at night would be even more terrifying. And looking at what's left of that jeep I'm astounded you came out relatively unscathed.

I always have a hard time with these kinds of stories and pics. I'm sure happy to hear you escaped relatively unscathed. I lost a couple of close friends to a drunk a few years back.

Push the prosecutor to come down hard on this guy. And get yourself a good lawyer.

Glad to hear your ok. I'm scared

Don't think that you survived because you had luck, moreover these cars are designed to cause the minimun injure to passengers in crashes.

When my friend and me had an accident, the tow truck driver takes us for a stroll in the depot of crashed cars, it was horrible, i was totally convinced that people who drove these cars are died strange though it may seem many of them survived!

I wish having a pair of airbags in my car. A car accident and cancer are my fears.