Rechargeable Batteries: $20

Carrying Case, from REI of course...: $20

Mount for fourwheeler: $35

Mount for bicycle: $18

Mount for car: $30

Lighter Adapter: $35

Topo Software: $49

1st order of Texas GeoCoins: $50

EasyGPS: Free (thank goodness something is!)

To Date: $415

....and I have this feeling I am only getting started!

But it is really fun, isn't it?

CounterFitCache

Counter Fit Cache

...or is it really me????

Geocaching is actually one of the least expensive hobbies I've gotten into. An initial investment of as little as $100 can get you going. You can't even begin to step into model railroading (for example) for that price.

Everything else is incidental, such as cache goodies.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Geocaching is turning into the most expensive inexpensive hobby I've ever taken up. Although I've counseled several people to keep it simple (i.e., cheap), I've gone from spending $150 on my GPSr to hundreds on extras like topo map software, car power cord, dashboard mount, rechargeable batteries, headlamp, waterproof map paper, compass, new PDA, cache trinkets, tolls, gas, and wear and tear on my car from driving hundreds of miles that I wouldn't have otherwise. And I couldn't be happier! This hobby is the best way to spend my time and money that I've found in quite some time.

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

I have spent hours, dollars, brain power, etc. and am enjoying this more than I can express. What is a few bucks here or there. Some people I know spend lots more than I do on their hobbies.

But to my earlier list I also have to add the laptop and camera although I already owned them. If I hadn't I would have purchased them for caching.

quote:
You can't even begin to step into model railroading (for example) for that price.

Acutally you can spend as much or as little as you like. I sure someone would happliy take you caching with them. I hate going alone.

As far as model railroading, I hooked up with some great guys that need engineers to work on their prototype railroad. We meet once every six weeks. I get to run every single train on a 30' x 40' elaborate professional layout. I haven't spent any money and they even feed me during the session icon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

Considering my other hobbys, I don't have much money tie up with this. But, the cost of gasoline does become a consideration. While I needed a new car anyway, I bought a Subaru Forester because of my desire for AWD but still get 20+ MPG. Also, if you do frequent, quality hides, that gets to be some money too.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I already had a GPSr so what i spend is on gas, food and water, and the never ending supply of trinkets! It is like any hobby, it is how much or whatever you yourself puts into it...i know, I have several expensive hobbies! Just ask my wife icon_smile.gif

Enjoy and have fun!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so? [icon_biggrin.gif]