Orange Salamanders

avroair

I was hiking and caching in Harriman this past weekend and came across a whole bunch of Orange Salamanders. I counted about 15 along the path... they were out in full force!

I wondered what that squishing sound was. I thought it was the water in my boots. I guess I was mistaken :ph34r:

Hi,

these are called red-spotted newts or red efts, they are of particular note to geocachers because they can detect the earth's magnetic field, and uses this signal as a directional reference. :ph34r:

nfa (newt nerd)

I actually did refer to them as newts in the cache logs. The part about detecting the earth's magnetic field I did not know, fascinating stuff. Thanks for the added info.

I wish I could find some of those, all I can find is the standard black/blue lizard around the house, and this guy

Your "lizard" is actually a salamander (Lead-back I think based on picture) which is an amphibian and not actually a lizard (reptile). They are very abundant around my area! red-backs and lead-backs.

I also found a red eft at the Arrow Island cache (GCJ7GB), and i see eastern red spotted newts at the vernal pools along the trail going to my West Of Totts Gap Cache (GCHZCB) all the time.

Wildlife is fun!

Edit: I see your from NC, so it probally is NOT a lead-back. I don't know what species are native to your area... Check out Peterson Field Guide of Reptiles and Amphibians.

Edited by Berserkr
I wish I could find some of those, all I can find is the standard black/blue lizard around the house, and this guy

Your "lizard" is actually a salamander (Lead-back I think based on picture) which is an amphibian and not actually a lizard (reptile). They are very abundant around my area! red-backs and lead-backs.

I also found a red eft at the Arrow Island cache (GCJ7GB), and i see eastern red spotted newts at the vernal pools along the trail going to my West Of Totts Gap Cache (GCHZCB) all the time.

Wildlife is fun!

Edit: I see your from NC, so it probally is NOT a lead-back. I don't know what species are native to your area... Check out Peterson Field Guide of Reptiles and Amphibians.

Cool! Thanks for the info, my wife said it was a chameleon, but once I look him up, I'll be able to correct it on the gallery page :ph34r:

When I was a kid, there was an old lady that lived on the corner who wore a funny hat and had a big nose with a wart on it. I would collect newts and she would buy the eyes from me for 50 cents each.

Hey... I know her too! She turned -me- into a newt ... well :blink: ....I got better.

:)

In my youth in the Catskills and after it rained, we'd go out in the woods and catch these by the dozen. Stick 'em in a jar with holes punched in the top and then later we'd tied them to fish hooks and cast them out on the lake waters where they'd swim around. Boy did they look tempting to eat but I guess not to fish because I never got a bite!

Newts are really bad this year. I see log after log and post after post mentioning them.  <_<

Maybe after the 1st thousand times this was posted it was funny. Now it isn't!

Youch! And here I thought I was being original.

I guess you told me, (edit)!

Edited by PSUPAUL