Extreme Noobie Questions

Whizzn

Hi All;

This week I bought my first GPS unit, a Garmin eTrex Legend. I do not have a special need for one, like hiking, etc, I just plain wanted a GPS. While searching for info to learn how to use it, I ran across Geocaching and immediately fell for the concept and very obvious fun this wonderful hobby can provide. I have printed out the info and downloaded waypoints for several local caches and will be going out this weekend for my first time.

The manual for the eTrex leaves much to be desired. Yes, it tells me what the functions do and how to do them, but for me at least, it doesn't "pull it all together" for practical use.

For instance, there is a setting to put the unit into "Demo mode". The manual says click on this to put it into Demo mode, but doesn't say what Demo mode is or how to use it. So, could someone please tell me what this does and how to use it? The same goes for "Battery Saver Mode". What does this do to the unit? The manual doesn't explain that either.

Since the Legend doesn't have an external antenna jack, I've searching for and reading about antennas. I found 2. One for $49 that uses 3 aaa batteries. It appears to attach to the top of the Legend with a rubber band. My question before I buy one: can I hook the cigarette lighter power cord AND this attenna to the Legand at the same time ?

I very much look forward to Geocaching and reading the great postings in this forum. One day I hope to contribute to the forum and not just "take" from the forum.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise in answering my questions. I'm sure I will have more as time goes on. I certainly hope I don't wear out my welcome here.

John

Panama City, Florida

For instance, there is a setting to put the unit into "Demo mode". The manual says click on this to put it into Demo mode, but doesn't say what Demo mode is or how to use it. So, could someone please tell me what this does and how to use it?

The "demo" mode is generally with the GPS not looking for satelittes. It just simulates that it knows where it is. You don't want to use this unless you are typing in waypoints indoors or something like that. It does use less batteries since the satelitte receivers are bypassed

The same goes for "Battery Saver Mode". What does this do to the unit?
This is generally a good mode to be in while actively using your gps. Some things are bypassed such as WAAS and any sensors liek electronic compass or altimeter. I'm not sure if the Legend has the latter two but it does have WAAS.

Since the Legend doesn't have an external antenna jack, I've searching for and reading about antennas. I found 2. One for $49 that uses 3 aaa batteries. It appears to attach to the top of the Legend with a rubber band. My question before I buy one: can I hook the cigarette lighter power cord AND this attenna to the Legand at the same time ?

I'd recommend trying the GPS without the external antenna before buying one. I've not had too much trouble getting a signal almost anywhere. There are specific applications that one would be useful but since you are starting out and just bought a GPS just because, I'd hold off until you need it.

Good luck with the hunts this weekend!! :ph34r:

Thanks Tubby for your answer.

I would tend to think that "Battery Saver Mode" would make the Legend not as accurate or something. I do not have an Altimeter or electronic compass to "shut off" with battery saver mode. If I following a route and it shifts into battery saver mode, I would think it would quit tracking or something. As you can tell, that's why I'm asking here, I don't have a clue to what that does.

Thanks again for your time.

John

No everything works else should work the same and I'm sure that if I'm wrong someone else would pop in and correct me.

As far as tracks and such turning off. I'm positive that that doesn't happen.

Also it's good to note that the GPS won't "slip into" battery-saver mode. It's something that you have to tell it to be in that mode.

On the accuracy issue, it really depends on where you are as to whether the WAAS will help you at all. Here is a good site that explains a lot about WAAS http://www.gpsinformation.net/waasgps.htm

The battery saving mode slows the update rate from the satellites down normally the update rate (which is how often the gps calculates a position from the satellite signals) is extremely fast like 2 times a second or something but with batt. save mode it only updates your position like once a second, which saves battery power. So in essence it does not decrease the accuracy it just slows the rate that accuracy is achieved.

Like the other guy stated demo mode just simulates a sat. lock and is good for learning all the features and getting used to the way it works.

Why do you think you need an additional antenna. They have a built in, internal antenna that works great (most of the time). You should not need one unless you will be using it a lot in a vehicle and even then there not necessary.

Need any more help let us know :laughing:

Edited by coolclay

Thanks ALL for the great answers and suggestions.

You were right about my thinking I would need an external antenna. I put the unit in the truck with me (chevy S10) while I work. I guess I have enough glass that it seems to get and keep a signal pretty much the whole time even laying it in the seat seemed to do pretty good, with only the occasional "poor reception" message. However, I learned one thing real fast. I instantly became fixated on it !! I had to make myself put the thing down and drive. I was constantly looking at it, fiddling with buttons, and maps, watching my heading, speed, etc. This thing is worse than a cell phone. In fact, once I had my cell phone in one hand and the Legend in the other, trying to figure out how to steer.

As to the WAAS mode: Going outside and letting the Legend get a good lock, I turned on WAAS and when all the signal bars had "D's" in them, I started walking around. My accuracy has been pretty good, telling me 15-25 ft. With WAAS turned on it reported 25-50 ft. I did this several times over the last couple of days. I had read a couple of articles including the one on the Garmin site about WAAS, and I wound up being disappointed with the accuracy, so I keep it turned off. (I read that with that off you will save battery power).

I look forward to the holiday weekend and starting on caching.

Thanks again for the help and support.

John

Yeah I've been disappointed with all of the WAAS stuff too. I live in central VA and would have thought that since I live within 500 miles of the coast line that the WAAS would make things better. :) nope

I'd look at getting some sort of car mount. Garmin's friction mount is nice because you can transfer it between cars and it can go on your dash. There is a RAM mount too, but I'm not too familiar with it. I think that you can use the RAM mount in multple places, ie same mount for the car and a bike)

Be careful while driving....