We found our first cache, too!

Boreala

My boyfriend Aaron bought a GPS unit just a few days ago, and we decided to give geocaching a try. We found SC Peacefrogs 2, in South Carolina, and we had an awesome time. Both he and I have lived in the area all our lives and we had never visited this very historic landmark. Thanks for getting us hooked on a great hobby! icon_smile.gif

Jen

Congratulations icon_smile.gif!!

One of my favorite things about Geocaching, is seeing and exploring all the places I never realized were right around me....parks, secret places along the lakes and streams, access to spots I never thought I could get to, fantastic views, old land marks and historical sites and jeep roads in the mountains, to name a few.

To many of us it's not just about finding a cache or hiding one, with all the goodies we place inside, it's about turning fellow cachers on to some of our favorite places, views and challenges.

Enjoy.... icon_biggrin.gif

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

[This message was edited by mtnsteve on July 03, 2002 at 08:49 AM.]

My wife and I just found our first one today too! Its part of a 3 part cache so we're definately heading back out to finish it some other time. We were looking for an excuse to get out and see the area, get some exercise and still maintain our geek status, and Geocaching has been terrific. We went out last weekend, as well, but realized the caches were beyond our scope. This one was definately more up our alley.

Loving the game, seeing the national parks, and getting outdoors!

Originally posted by mtnsteve:

Congratulations icon_smile.gif!!

One of my favorite things about Geocaching, is seeing and exploring all the places I never realized were right around me....parks, secret places along the lakes and streams, access to spots I never thought I could get to, fantastic views, old land marks and historical sites and jeep roads in the mountains, to name a few.

QUOTE]

Could not agree more, mtnsteve! Amazing the things we pass right by and never realize they are there waiting to be enjoyed. One of the nice aspects of this hobby.

quote:
Originally posted by Mitsuko:

I'll probably be buying the GPS in the next couple of days. Do you think I should buy it online? Can you recommend a web site?

Should I shop locally at a sporting goods store?

I usually buy things online but I'm not sure what's better in this case.

I bought my Garmin eTrex and data cable online at Amazon. At the time it was only $99 and I got free shipping. It looks like their prices may have gone up a little bit since then, but it was a reliable place. Locally they run about $20 more or so.

There's several threads about this issue.

I think it all depends on how fast you want it. You'll save a little cash by buying on-line, but you won't get it as quickly.

I bought my GPS3+ on eBay and saved a bunch, but it took about ten days to receive it.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on July 08, 2002 at 01:38 PM.]

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Mitsuko, could you be any prettier?

Thank you, that's sweet.

I'll probably be buying the GPS in the next couple of days. Do you think I should buy it online? Can you recommend a web site?

If your gonna buy online, check out the links on the main page. When I bought my GPS, amazon was about $5-$10 higher then some of the other online dealers, but I wanted geocaching.com to get the referral commission. The only local store that had the model I wanted was almost $100 more then online.

Not to start a debate on what GPS is better, (thats been done plenty of times elsewhere) but if you haven't made up your mind on a GPS yet, I would steer clear of models with a patch antenna. Since you live practically right next door to me, I know the terrain your gonna be using it in, and the patch antenna of the etrex line is really at a disadvantage in the heavy tree cover most of our local caches are in. I'm surely not saying you cant cache here with an etrex, they just tend not to work as well as other models. Stick to the rest of the Garmin line, or any of the Magellans.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Mitsuko, we just bought a Magellan SporTrak Pro, and we're very happy with it. We got the Topo map CD as well, and that has come in very handy. We bought ours from Offroute (there is a link on the main page) after having checked prices on the net and in our local stores. The Offroute price was the same or lower than everyone else's.

The only suggestion I would have is to check out the "Magellan Hula". It's described in the thread "Has this ever happened with your Magellan 315?" in the Getting Started forums.

We've only had the unit a couple of days, and have found the Hula to be very useful.

Shannah

quote:

Mitsuko, after doing a lot of online price comparisons I bought my Meridian Platinum from The GPS Store. Everything was delivered as promised. I would do business with them again.

In regard to your recently ended romance, nothing soothes a wounded heart like a nice piece of cheese. icon_biggrin.gif

CheesyD

"Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they shall inherit the earth."

--Monty Python's The Life of Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

... I would steer clear of models with a patch antenna. Since you live practically right next door to me, I know the terrain your gonna be using it in, and the patch antenna of the etrex line is really at a disadvantage in the heavy tree cover most of our local caches are in. I'm surely not saying you cant cache here with an etrex, they just tend not to work as well as other models. Stick to the rest of the Garmin line, or any of the Magellans.

I'm at a disadvantage then, because I use an E-trex Vista in the same areas you folks cache. I rarely loose reception, and then never for more than a few seconds/yards. In terms of satellite reception, I have found the Vista to be a huge improvement over my beloved-but-obsolete Maggie 300, which was extremely sensitive to tree cover despite its superior antenna.

Friends owning the latest Magellans have been more than satisfied with their units, and are reporting excellent success.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I'm at a disadvantage then, because I use an E-trex Vista in the same areas you folks cache. I rarely loose reception, and then never for more than a few seconds/yards. In terms of satellite reception, I have found the Vista to be a huge improvement over my beloved-but-obsolete Maggie 300, which was extremely sensitive to tree cover despite its superior antenna.

Friends owning the latest Magellans have been more than satisfied with their units, and are reporting excellent success.

Hey Mark! Just THINK how many MORE finds you would have with a REAL GPS? LOL! Notice I said it wasnt impossible to do with an etrex, cause I know there are freaks of science out there like you and Stayfloopy. Just prove that for every rule there is always an exception (or 2). icon_smile.gif

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Hey Mark! Just THINK how many MORE finds you would have with a REAL GPS? LOL! Notice I said it wasnt impossible to do with an etrex, cause I know there are freaks of science out there like you and Stayfloopy. Just prove that for every rule there is always an exception (or 2). icon_smile.gif

Just for the silly record, I managed to locate about 30 caches with my first, the basic eTrex. Worked great! Sold it, though, and upgraded to a Map 76 which I'm quite happy with.

Chris Juricich

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

1.) Mitsuko is beautiful

Sigh... I'm trying to think of somethig witty to say, because I agree with #1, but *shrug*, perhaps I should just nod my head knowingly and pretend I never said anything...

quote:

majicman gets points for trying, but the landmine got him. I can hear it now, 'So loving me is a job?, blah, blah, blah'.

Well, it's more like a full-time occupation (she IS my life, after all...)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
I have to give you this much.... That's the cheesiest pick-up line anyone has ever used on me.

I do what I can! icon_cool.gif

quote:
I'll tell you what, if I'm ever in "New and Improved!" Mexico, I'll ask you to show me where the best caches are.

I'll be waiting for you to come down from "New and Improved!" Joisey. Just bring the crackers and I'll provide the cheese! icon_biggrin.gif

CheesyD

"Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they shall inherit the earth."

--Monty Python's The Life of Brian

quote:

Do you think I should buy it online? Can you recommend a web site?

Mitsuko,

You can shop at a sporting goods store, even Walmart, but you'll get better pricing online. I recently purchased a Meridian Platinum from gpsdiscount.com, and got inventory in-stock, low-price matching, same-day shipping, and my new toy in two days.

Have fun!

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

quote:

Its rare that a man can give a quality compliment to a woman and still plug his wife.

I hope I have this level of skill when I get married.

I hate to do this to you Chris (not really, I truly am loving the opportunity) but In this thread we get a peek into the social dynamics of his relationship.

I've met his wife, and in my opinion she is every bit as attractive as Mitsuko (That's a compliment to you Mitsuko) but she's way too much like my wife for my taste.

Wow, that thread did go in a weird direction.

I think anyone who's ever been in a relationship understands that you don't fight over things that don't matter. Just give in. There are plenty of issues that you will need to hold to your opinion on. If you lock horns over everything, it weakens your bargaining power in the 'important' arguments.

I tried to stay out of this. But I can't take anymore.

Mitsuko...Mitsuko...Mitsuko... All I ever hear now days..

Oh, I remember when you all said I was pretty. I remember when you all wanted to geocache with me. I remember when Markwell wanted me to come up to his room and see his etchings. But now, there's Mitsuko. Sluggo's is yesterday's news. Old, worn-out, booorrriiinnnggg. You won't take me to the mall. You won't take me to K-Mart. You just make me stay in this trailer-house and watch Oprah and eat Chef Boy-ar-dee all day long.

Well, I want to tell you all something...

Mitsuko is Okustim spelled backward. And Okustim is Trafalmadorian (the main language on Trafalmador)for "I will eat your liver".

The BLM, NPS, Corps of Engineers and all of those agencies told their buddies at the CIA what we were up to, hiding ammo boxes in the woods. The CIA told the MIB (Men In Black) and they told the Trafalmadorians "Soups On!", "Diner Time", "Come and get it".

She's just the first of many. They will come (slowly at first), beautiful, young, vivacious. They will join OUR forums, hunt OUR caches, attend OUR events... then... one day... BAM-POW!

Dead geocachers strewn all around, clutching their precious geo-finds to their gapeing chest. And Mitsuko and all the Mitsuko clones will take over the caches we worked sooooo hard to build.

I pity you all.

I've got to go now, I have to take my medicine

- - Sluggo

BTW, Mitsuko, If you're ever in Eastern Washington, I'd like to show you my etchings, that is, if my wife isn't home.

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

9617_300.jpg

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA

quote:
Originally posted by Sluggo:

Oh, I remember when you all said I was pretty.

Oh I still think you're pretty.

quote:
Okustim is Trafalmadorian (the main language on Trafalmador)for "I will eat your liver".

No no no, you're confusing the dialects again..

Okustim is customarily translated as "one without direction"

She's supposed to be getting a GPS any time now if it hasn't already arrived so that's taken care of.

quote:
She's just the first of many. They will come (slowly at first), beautiful, young, vivacious. They will join OUR forums, hunt OUR caches, attend OUR events... then... one day...

I'm sorry, I blacked out for a minute there.

quote:
BTW, Mitsuko, If you're ever in Eastern Washington, I'd like to show you my etchings, that is, if my wife isn't home.

Does that offer extend to me? icon_wink.gif

(just kidding people - just kidding)

Eric O'Conner said:

quote:
Does that offer extend to me?

(just kidding people - just kidding)

Sure....

I just show you diffrent etchings than I would show Mitsuko. And, I wouldn't care if my wife (Sugar) was around.

Boy this thread sure took a strange turn (somewhere around Albuquerque, I think).

I sure hope that I wasn't responsible for that! icon_wink.gif

- - Sluggo

9617_300.jpg

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA

Is there a thread that I can post to in order to share that we found our first (2) caches today without you guys falling al over yourselves over Mitsuko??? icon_eek.gif Not that I don't enjoy the posts; they've kept me in stitches! But REALLY fellas, turn down the testosterone for a minute (go ahead & nail me now) & let me ask this sort of serious question:

I'm having problems loading a photo onto my cache page & a found log. I've followed the directions, loaded an avatar successfully, but no luck on the pic. I would love an opportunity to show off my kids!

Your help is greatly appreciated & I'll leave you all to drool over Mitsuko's new profile picture!

Sure is great to see how many men can make fools of themselves while trying to one-up each other!

Thanks for the laughs!

Fairy tales & happy trails help old women stay young.

Congratulations Mother Gootz! ! ! welcome to the club....now we get to show you the secret handshake..... icon_wink.gif

On your problem with loading your picture there is another small thread (Topic: Problem Uploading Images) about the same problem Perhaps this is only temporary.

I'm reminded of a comment one of my female mountaineering partners once made after being ogled at base camp by several other male climbers...."they act like a bunch of kids with their first ha-d on" icon_eek.gif

Don't take it personal guys, I checked her profile too....I just didn't make it my start page. icon_biggrin.gif

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

[This message was edited by mtnsteve on July 14, 2002 at 03:07 PM.]

quote:
Looks like it was a temporary disk space problem according to the thread mtnsteve pointed out.

As for the other monkey business. It's just that none of us have ever seen a woman before.

Thanks, I emailed admin & was given the same answer VERY quickly. Those things happen.

I do love the monkey business, even if I do carry on... Green-eyed monster comin' out I suppose, gonna be 40 soon. Enough said, got a third cache yesterday. I LOVE THIS GAME/HOBBY/PASTIME, whatever!

quote:
Originally posted by Mother Gootz:

quote:
Looks like it was a temporary disk space problem according to the thread mtnsteve pointed out.

As for the other monkey business. It's just that none of us have ever seen a woman before.

I LOVE THIS GAME/HOBBY/PASTIME, whatever!

HEY! Watch it there!! That is "RASH", not "GAME/HOBBY/PASTIME" (GHP).

--majicman (Unofficial Forum Police!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Oh yeah, now the truth comes out. It’s the old good-cop/bad-cop routine.

Mitsuko plays the good-cop. She laughs at our jokes, teases us, and makes us act like fools, just to win her favor. “Yeah, go ahead boys, let that testosterone circulate, it’s good, have fun with it! More… More … More”.

THEN COMES THE BAD COP!

Mother Gootz chastises us for our behavior She says; “You’re acting stupid, you look like a bunch of immature adolescents”. “Get back to work… no time for profile photos”.

And all the while that makes Mitsuko seem more like our friend. We draw closer to her, just like candle-flies to a porch-light. And then…. It’s all over… The last few fleeting moments of our existence are spent thinking about life with no liver, not some bovine’s liver, but our own liver.

It’s hard to believe that they are really on the same side. But it’s true. It’s not good-cop/bad-cop. It’s bad-cop/bad-cop.

You see, if you take every other letter in “Mother Gootz”, it spells “Mt Egoz”. Get it? Mount Egoz. The peak of mount Egoz is where the space center on Trafalmador is located. It’s like Cape Canaveral is for us. It is from Mount Egoz that the Trafalmadorians are staging the invasion. So by pretending to scold us for our bad behavior, Mother Gootz is just driving us to our own ruin.

I would like to write more, but my laptop’s battery is about dead, besides – it’s getting cold up here in this tree. Sugar has been out twice, shinning that darn flashlight up at me and saying; “Sluggo, it’s time for your medicine!” I don’t know why she does that, I can’t climb down the beam, I’m too heavy. And if I weren’t, she’d probably turn it off about the time I got half way down.

- - Sluggo

9617_300.jpg

quote:
THEN COMES THE BAD COP!

Mother Gootz chastises us for our behavior She says; “You’re acting stupid, you look like a bunch of immature adolescents”. “Get back to work… no time for profile photos”.

You see, if you take every other letter in “Mother Gootz”, it spells “Mt Egoz”. Get it? Mount Egoz. The peak of mount Egoz is where the space center on Trafalmador is located. It’s like Cape Canaveral is for us. It is from Mount Egoz that the Trafalmadorians are staging the invasion. So by pretending to scold us for our bad behavior, Mother Gootz is just driving us to our own ruin.

Okay, I'm caught! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying & trying not to wake up my 8 month old. Time to go back to Mount Egoz and tell my fellow Trafalmadorians what's been happening here. Your friend Mitsuko surely will return to cause you more pain & suffering; that's the influx of testosterone you feel every time her profile reappears. THEN, just when you think you can't take it anymore & need to reliquish some of that guy juice on the forums, she'll up & leave you to return back to the sanctuary of our homeland. icon_eek.gif

This is so much fun!!! Never thought I'd get so involved in chat rooms & forums when I decided to a little "treasure hunting"! Thanks again everyone for making a stay-at-home mom's life a little more interesting! icon_wink.gif