I'm Seeing This More And More Often In The Forums.

Speaking of AS and numbers, I just checked. AS had 33,686 posts. The top 15 posters had 26,122 of them or 77.5%. The next 15 had 5,242 or 15.5%. Together 30 people have 93% of a 33,686 post thread!! On that note (before my brain explodes...) I need to get up from the PC and go find the 3 caches I had planned to find today....

How does the number of posts per person in Abject Silliness effect you as a cacher? B)

More to the point what does it have to do with the topic of this thread? :D

The quote above was from another thread. It's typical of what I have been seeing on many threads. A quip about AS followed by a defensive quip. The latter usually being a regular of AS. Sheesh, a whole thread was posted asking to lock it or move it.

I have been off my soapbox about an OT (OFF TOPIC) forum for at least 6 months, but it is self evident that the time has come to re-examine that option.

I do not fault the owners of this site for their continued denial of this feature. It hasn't driven me away or turned me off to caching.

I totally agree that it does nothing at all to promote geocaching which is (FACE IT) why this site exists to begin with.

I have proposed in the past and I am proposing again that this feature be reconsidered. (Take a look at past threads on the subject if you want reasons. I'm done giving those. It's all been said.)

Since an OT forum would not (directly) promote geocaching, the post count should not advance while posting there. This is how it is done at texasgeocaching.com and it hasn't turned into some wild and wooly free-for-all.

There are probably a few who could improve upon my proposal and I'm sure many who disagree.

Anyone want to comment?????????????

SNOOGAV.jpg

(OK- I really miss the fun threads. TPBM remembers the fun threads.) B)

Edited by Snoogans

The difficulty I see is that there would prolly have to be a moderator specifically for that forum. In other OT forums I have visited, a large amount of moderating was required. I imagine, given the family nature of this site, that the job would be even more onerous.

I'm personally all for it, but I can see why they'd want to avoid such a thing, outside of any geocaching issues.

The AS thread is necessary so there's a place to keep the ones who feel a large posting number is important and the lurkers who love them--and possibly understand them. :D

I see no other redeeming factor. The title alone is sufficient to keep me away.

Edited by Anne Bonney

Do you really think there should be a separate forum created for the thirty(!) people who like off topic banter??? I think the figures in the post you quoted prove that the vast majority of forum users don’t have an interest in topics that are… um… off. It doesn’t seem like an argument for a separate OT forum, but rather an argument against having even a single topic devoted to OT posting.

…just my opinion, of course.

Matt

Do you really think there should be a separate forum created for the thirty(!) people who like off topic banter??? I think the figures in the post you quoted prove that the vast majority of forum users don’t have an interest in topics that are… um… off. It doesn’t seem like an argument for a separate OT forum, but rather an argument against having even a single topic devoted to OT posting.

Matt

If they build it, they will come. AS is the way it is because it is one single thread. Where multiple threads, and hence different conversations can exist, I think youi'd see greater participation.

I don't have that much of a problem with AS except for it signaling new posts in the Geocaching Topics forum when there isn't really any new posts except in AS.

I would vote for an OT forum just to talk about things that are not geocaching. We spend alot of time here and get to know people and it would be nice to be able to talk to them about other things besides geocaching. Of course then there would the increased workload on the approvers/moderators to consider.

n00b raises a good point. I had never thought of the moderation issue. That might well be why the management has resisted so strongly. I agree that AS exists mainly for a small group of us (I am one!), but I don't for a second think that any of the regulars are there to boost post counts. I know that most of us (and I hope that I can be counted in this) make regular posts to any of the other forums where we can contribute!

If they build it, they will come.  AS is the way it is because it is one single thread.  Where multiple threads, and hence different conversations can exist, I think youi'd see greater participation.

Thats exactly why I dont join in on something of that magnitude. The shear number ot pages prevents me from even opening it becuase it would take hours to read back all the logs to decipher the inside jokes, stories, etc. There would be much greater participation if it were seperated into many threads under the grand forum title.

Edited by Nappy10

Matt

If they build it, they will come. AS is the way it is because it is one single thread. Where multiple threads, and hence different conversations can exist, I think youi'd see greater participation.

Yep...this is the reason I don't post in AS. The thread is so fast and I'm too lazy to adjust my subscription settings and don't want to be bombarded by hundreds of email notifications in my inbox pertaining to AS.

I think with different subjects to choose from instead of trying to catch up with one ongoing thread like AS, people would participate more.

Edited by PandyBat

Matt

Click on the 34K+ post number from Geocaching Topics. It's wayyyyyy more than 30. The quote just names the first 30. I know of hundreds that would like to see an OT forum.

Back when we had the "poll" feature. The vote was overwhelmingly FOR an OT forum.

It helps if you hear Joe Pesci's voice when you read the next line:

*NOTICE WE DON'T GOT THE POLL FEATURE NO MORE?*

Of course then there would the increased workload on the approvers/moderators to consider.

Could they recruit the person who originated the thread to help moderate such a forum? I believe she even requested being able to delete posts if people violated the rules.

Edit: wording

Edited by Nappy10
Of course then there would the increased workload on the approvers/moderators to consider.

Could they recruit the person who originated the thread to help moderate such a forum? I believe she even requested being able to delete posts if people violated the rules.

ROFLMAO. I don't think Pat Patterson has been here in ages....

Why are approvers also moderators anyway? Seems they have enough to deal with just being approvers. For a couple years I was a moderator at a busy website and had several jobs outside of just moderating that I did. It wasn't easy. I don't wish that one anyone. :D

Back OT, I don't think having people moderating their own threads is a good idea. Too many people start unnecessary threads now as it is and would probably enjoy the trouble that gets started in those threads and wouldn't close it just to keep the drama going. Or they may post and never come back.

ROFLMAO. I don't think Pat Patterson has been here in ages....

Really...what a surprise for Pat...

If you think posting in AS is fast paced, then you havent been to Clayjars chatroom...now that is fast...even the AS regulars have a hard time keeping up. :D

If you think posting in AS is fast paced, then you havent been to Clayjars chatroom...now that is fast...even the AS regulars have a hard time keeping up. :D

I wish I could go there. My work computer has fits with it. Maybe when I get one at home............

That's part of my point though. AS has become a chat thread of sorts. I like my conversation to be more topic driven. I still post there, but rarely, and usually only when I see Webfoot or a few others posting there.

I don't know how much work is currently going into moderating AS, but it wouldn't be a job I would want. With the current number of moderators now, I dont see GP.com creating an OT forum.

Neither do I, nor do I expect it. It's the quote that got this whole topic going. I had seen it soooooo many times and it was one of less derisive ones. Cute and pointless is better than mean and pointless. I thought I'd start there.

Hmmmmmm, no flames yet. Maybe I got it right. Naaaaaa, tomorrow's another day...............

I don't know how much work is currently going into moderating AS, but it wouldn't be a job I would want. With the current number of moderators now, I dont see GP.com creating an OT forum.

You know what...the mods very seldom have to moderate in AS...we get along just fine, and everyone is welcome...its a nice respite from some of the venom that sometimes gets spewed in the forums.

Most of us actively cache, place caches, and help out by anwering questions should we be on the spot at the time its requested. So its not like we don't know what is going on in the other forums...we do, and sometimes we choose not to participate.

I wish I could go there. My work computer has fits with it. Maybe when I get one at home............

That's part of my point though. AS has become a chat thread of sorts. I like my conversation to be more topic driven. I still post there, but rarely, and usually only when I see Webfoot or a few others posting there.

There were 52 people there Monday night...

You know what...the mods very seldom have to moderate in AS...we get along just fine, and everyone is welcome...its a nice respite from some of the venom that sometimes gets spewed in the forums.

I think he's referring to how fast the AS thread moves. It would be hard to moderate that thread just because it can cover several pages in such a short time. I don't think he meant you all were starting trouble all the time or anything like that.

I think he's referring to how fast the AS thread moves. It would be hard to moderate that thread just because it can cover several pages in such a short time. I don't think he meant you all were starting trouble all the time or anything like that.

I didn't think he meant that either...yes it moves fast, but I think after all this time its kinda known that we are behaving so its not necessary for the mods to view every page. If something is said that is not quite right, the report button gets hit..

Its almost comical to see what some of the battles are fought over in other forum threads B). Maybe AS diverts some of that, but I think the number of participants is stopped where its at becuase it is hard to join in on an ongoing conversation. Maybe it would be better suited under "geocaching related topics" or having some GC techie create a special chat room like Clay Jar's :D .

If something is said that is not quite right, the report button gets hit..

And thats whats great about the geocaching community...they have the ability to regulate themselves. I wasn't talking about how a moderator has to "control" the thread, just about having it on his plate. No disrespect intended.

Its almost comical to see what some of the battles are fought over in other forum threads B). Maybe AS diverts some of that, but I think the number of participants is stopped where its at becuase it is hard to join in on an ongoing conversation. Maybe it would be better suited under "geocaching related topics" or having some GC techie create a special chat room like Clay Jar's :D .

You know...there really isn't an ongoing topic of conversation in AS...you can read back maybe one or two pages, or early in the morning when the thread is just coming alive, and what starts the day usually sets the tone for the day. If I leave for a couple hours, even I have to go back to find out what is going on. Not hard to do, but it make for some fun reading.

If something is said that is not quite right, the report button gets hit..

And thats whats great about the geocaching community...they have the ability to regulate themselves. I wasn't talking about how a moderator has to "control" the thread, just about having it on his plate. No disrespect intended.

None taken I assure you. Just thought I could add a little insight on the ongoing AS soap opera.

Ya know we loves ya Snoogans... :D

Click on the 34K+ post number from Geocaching Topics. It's wayyyyyy more than 30.

I know that more than thirty people have posted to Abject Silliness, but it’s fair to say that only a handful of people among the vast population of users of these forums do post to AS on a regular basis. It may be true that a more structured/organized OT section will attract more posters, but in my opinion, such a forum hasn’t been proven necessary.

Matt

(Rereading my first post, I realize it might come across as sounding a bit harsh… sorry, I didn’t intend that.)

When I clicked on this thread I was surprised to see it started with a quote from me (I am the one who did that AS statistic note). Apparently it had "started" something I didn't know about. When I was looking at AS numbers, it wasn't meant in a negative way at all. I actually look at AS sometimes and think I've posted once or twice there. To me, AS is like the Empire State Building - it's so big, and it's impressive. Like the Empire State Building I am curious to know who build it, how long it took, how much metal and concrete, etc. Didn't mean to rile any feathers, sorry. As for the rest of the quote, I am happy to say I actually found 4 (not 3) caches for the day and a dnf, grrrr). Also my first benchmark.

What I meant by moderation needs is this... most people in AS, most of the time, behave. Mainly cuz noone there (me too) wants to see it locked down. There are occasional blips, but it isn't bad.

The problem with an OT forum, is that you are gonna get more people there. It is likely, in my opinion, that the sense of community AS engenders will not translate to the OT forum well. In other words, sooner or later someone (prolly new.not an AS regular) is gonna spout off by creating a flaming political thread, posting content more suited to adults, etc.

Someone will have to watch it, just by the very nature of an off topic forum. It isn't a bad thing, it's just the facts of life.

Personally, I AM all for an OT forum, but only so long as the moderation required does not interfere with the approvers...

Heck, *I'D* even moderate... but that would be counter productive... :D

Edited by New England n00b

I really enjoy reading the AS thread... it's kinda like standing around at a party and listening to all the conversations going on. Once in awhile I might say something, and If I get a reply that's OK but if I don't I don't feel shunned.

It's a place where people with common experiences can talk about things that concern them... or just talk.

Would a new forum require a new web-server or can it exist on the current one?

People are generally very civil to one and other (and respecfull) in this thread. It is a breath of fresh air.

I think the AS thread is in-and-of-itself a new forum and it serves the purpose I think it was created for... a forum for discussion of topics that might not be directly connected to Geocaching.

Dave.

I neither read nor participate in the "Abject Silliness" thread, but I have no objection to it. I agree that it should be pinned, and suggest that its permanent place of honor should be the very last topic on the first page of "Geocaching Topics."

I neither read nor participate in the "Abject Silliness" thread, but I have no objection to it. I agree that it should be pinned, and suggest that its permanent place of honor should be the very last topic on the first page of "Geocaching Topics."

Is it possible to pin something to the bottom, or does the forum automatically place all pins in the pinned section at the top?

Well, as a relative newbie to AS, heck a relative newbie to GC, I like AS, and I can't believe anyone would object to people having some FUN in the forums. Hopefully, there IS more to us than geocaching. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. And makes Pip crabby.

You know, this can be solved fairly easily.

The AS regulars can create their own forum. There are plenty of free and reasonable boards out there.

EZboard.com is a good one. Only thing is it's such a popular one that something you have problems with scriptkiddies screwing with you.

Another I like is ProBoards.com.

There are plenty out there.

Another option is get your own site and run your own board. http://webhostingbuzz.com is the host I use and it comes with free forum script like the one used over at opencaching.com. An advantaqge of this is you can host images, avatars, and other stuff you can't at most forum sites. You can also set up another portal to Clayjar's chat.

If you call it the "Official Geocaching Offtopic Forums" you might even get Jeremy to provide a link like to Clayjar's chat.

I would do it, but I don't think the idea would be well received by TPTB considering my stance on many issues (not to mention I already have plenty on my plate), but if some of the more well thought of regulars did it...

Is it possible to pin something to the bottom, or does the forum automatically place all pins in the pinned section at the top?

Pinned topics are automatically sorted to the top since they are seen as important and a topic which all should see first, hence the reason they are pinned.

EZboard.com is a good one. Only thing is it's such a popular one that something you have problems with scriptkiddies screwing with you.

EZBoard is the worst. You cannot search it. You cannot transfer it to a new owner either. They have the worst customer service on the earth. The GGA moved from them because they would not work with us on simple issues.

EZboard.com is a good one.  Only thing is it's such a popular one that something you have problems with scriptkiddies screwing with you.

EZBoard is the worst. You cannot search it. You cannot transfer it to a new owner either. They have the worst customer service on the earth. The GGA moved from them because they would not work with us on simple issues.

They must've gone down hill since I used them. I've only used self-hosted boards for a while now.

You know, this can be solved fairly easily.

The AS regulars can create their own forum. There are plenty of free and reasonable boards out there.

Another option is get your own site and run your own board. http://webhostingbuzz.com is the host I use and it comes with free forum script like the one used over at opencaching.com. An advantaqge of this is you can host images, avatars, and other stuff you can't at most forum sites. You can also set up another portal to Clayjar's chat.

I appreciate the suggestion, and can understand some of the flak AS receives......however....

A while back, Woodsters started an off-site forum for this very purpose. It worked for a little while, but not all the gc.com regs attended, and it quickly died. Others have tried as well, but it just wasn't worth the effort. I enjoy AS, as others have said, just as a place to come and read silly stuff, to get away from the heated debates, slander, flaming, etc. that goes on in the rest of the forums. I do, however, take offense to people who say that the AS forum only serves to increase one's post count. I just don't see the correlation. I have never posted just to up my count, and never will. I've said it time and time again: get rid of the post count, and I'll still post at the same rate with the same ratio of drivel to serious posts. So, come on, please don't embarrass yourselves further by arguing the post-count angle. That has nothing at all to do with it.

AS is a community within a community. We share personal triumphs and downfalls, and provide the support needed when needed. There have been times in the regular forums when I've seen a lot of negativity toward people for doing the same. Not a lot, but still enough that I would be afraid to post some of the personal issues in the main forums that I have in AS.

I do appreciate the relatively calm manner in which this is being discussed. Not very often is a thread opened about AS that isn't just a bashing session. Thanks, Snoogans, and everybody else, for keeping this thread upbeat and constructive. Oh, and Snoogie? We miss you when you're gone, and I still have badger badger mushroom snake dreams about you..... :ph34r:

I visit another msgbd after this one at mrexcel.com they use to have a lounge area for such things. It is now closed the reason being. To many flame wars and bashing towards individuals. There was some interesting stuff and I am glad they didnt just delete it. but it is locked and no more posting to it. The problem with giving people the right to say anything OT is that people will push the limits just so they can scream CENSORSHIP when they over step their bounds. Or start flaming the moderator because they deleted some thread/ post because of the content. And you can't say it won't happen because it already does. People hear have already been screaming it, and bashing the moderators for it. Yet the guidelines to this msg brd is for geocaching related info. not republicans are better than democrats, or that <insert race here> is better than <insert other race>. I don't see an OT section being a good advance to this site and strongly agree with TPTB to not incorporate one.

just my .02 influence worth.

The difference is that in this thread it is to be geocaching related, in an OT thread then that would mean anything goes. So Censoring non geocaching drivel can be "justified" here where it wouldn't be as easily "justifiable" in a OT area. After all, What would the boundaries be set at? No strong language? No political disputes? No Flame wars? It comes down to 1 thing really. This is a site ABOUT geocaching. The forums should also be about geocaching. you want to chat then get Yahoo msg, MSN Messenger, ICQ, or any of the other many instant messengers out there, or better yet, go to Clayjars chatroom, I been there 3 times and I have yet to see anyone there.

Edited by Dream Alchemist
The difference is that in this thread it is to be geocaching related, in an OT thread then that would mean anything goes. So Censoring non geocaching drivel can be "justified" here where it wouldn't be as easily "justifiable" in a OT area. After all, What would the boundaries be set at? No strong language? No political disputes? No Flame wars? It comes down to 1 thing really. This is a site ABOUT geocaching. The forums should also be about geocaching. you want to chat then get Yahoo msg, MSN Messenger, ICQ, or any of the other many instant messengers out there, or better yet, go to Clayjars chatroom, I been there 3 times and I have yet to see anyone there.

I tend to agree, but adding an OT forum would prevent these massive threads from developing and give cachers who want such a thread a place to roam free.

I tend to agree, but adding an OT forum would prevent these massive threads from developing and give cachers who want such a thread a place to roam free.

As far as I know AS is the only truly massive thread on this site.

Even if there were others what would the problem be? Bits are cheap.

Even if there were others what would the problem be? Bits are cheap.

No problem. I am just asking the question, is something like this truely relative to "geocaching"? If GC.com decides to leave it, great! But I can can see grounds for cutting it off, if it happens. Personally, I dont have a big problem with it. I just thought if an OT forum were created it would be more "user" friendly. And the conversations would be better organized.

First off, I've yet to go the chatroom and there not be anyone there. While they may have all been AFK it was never long before someone came along.

Second, if TPTB do decide to create an offtopic forum the rules would be the same as anything else--respecting others. It would be no different than the forum about HAM radio or GPS units. It would just be "non-specific" topics, not "anything goes."

See, I think there is the failure to understand what an offtopic forum is about. I don't think anyone wants a forum of the likes of the Yahoo! forums which are true anarchy. It would probably be more like a general messageboard where geocachers hang out.

I'm one of the original AS posters (from the very first page of the thread) and I was part of the "Cheers Gang Private Topic" the preceded it.

My experience has been that AS is like a chat room, but doesn't move quite as fast. Also, if something happens while you're away, you can go back to that page and catch up. You don't have to be logged in all the time to enjoy the thread. Also, the topics change regularly, sometimes with several going on at the same time. If you start reading on the current page, it won't take long for you to figure out what is going on.

Inside jokes and such? Yes, just ask and we'll tell you. It really is a small "community" of the entire forums. It's a place to go and relax after a hard day in the forums. Sometimes the moderators join in, which is okay since they are rarely there to moderate the thread. There were some problems recently, but for the most part we moderate ourselves. We've been asked by the mods to keep it that way, and we're trying to comply.

Post counts? As long as they're listed, there will be people referencing them. It's no different than your find number. When you hit a milestone, you get excited. CyBret just hit 500 finds and we cheered. BrianSnat was just passed in post counts and we cheered for him too. Am I in it for the post count? Heck no. I found 20 caches this month and will find #300 next month! Those are the numbers that matter to me. Sure, I'll mention my milestone post counts also, but if the number wasn't available it would be no big deal.

Even if there were others what would the problem be?  Bits are cheap.

No problem. I am just asking the question, is something like this truely relative to "geocaching"? If GC.com decides to leave it, great! But I can can see grounds for cutting it off, if it happens. Personally, I dont have a big problem with it. I just thought if an OT forum were created it would be more "user" friendly. And the conversations would be better organized.

Organization would destroy the character of AS. It's the semi random chaos that is fun.

BTW the last sentence makes perfect sense in this context.