Cache Owner - Reply To Dnf's?

As a cache owner, if you get a notification from one of your caches stating a DNF do email the owner and offer advice for helping them find it next time? Or do you not email them and don't really care?

I guess the reason I ask is, myself I try and answer every DNF. As well as building bonds between cachers and being a responsible cache owner, I want to see everyone find the cache eventually. But this last week I had about 10 DNF's, and only two cache owners have emailed me back regarding the caches. I guess it frustrates me other owners don't care.

So what's your opinion?

I only have one cache, but have emailed when there is a DNF. I also emailed with a particularly interesting log.

You're right it builds bonds. I have only had one cache where I logged a DNF, and the owner didn't email me, or reply to the email I sent. The cache was declared missing and archived soon after. The owner hadn't been to the site in close to a year.

Scott

Well, I for one really appreciated your e-mail when I DNFed on Watching over Homer a few months back. And usually I e-mail folks who DNF on our caches within a few days. In very few cases I haven't e-mailed since I or my husband could track the person down and talk to them one on one.

I think it is a courtesy we, as cache owners should do for those who are searching for our caches. The contact, the questions we ask to determine the potential problem, etc help up to maintain our caches on the non-physical level. Ignoring a DNF is like telling cachers that they don't matter and I'm not even going to consider that my cache may have a problem. Word gets around, your caches get a bad name, and the next thing you know, your name is mud.

But we have seen many cases where DNFs are ignored and it always makes us wonder.

On the other hand, maybe the cachers are too busy replacing the missing caches to get around to e-mailing everyone who DNFed so they will post a note on the page and hope that folks see it. We post notes after DNFs saying if we are going to look into the DNF or check the cache and/or saying if the cache is OK or was missing and is now replaced. And I always recheck the pages of caches I'vd DNFd to see if the owners have posted anything.

Better luck next weekend!

-Jennifer

I only e-mail a DNF if it appears through the log (or an email to me) that they want to be contacted.

Part of the fun for me is going back on my own to find it so I want to give the others a chance as well.

Lots of factors come into play, though.

Was it my multi? Was it a LONG hike?

Based on the tone of the log (...couldn't find it but we'll be back!) or the difficulty of the hide/hike I may, though.

After two DNFs in a row though - it's check up time!

Once again I think it all boils back to responsible cache ownership and respect and courtesy for the people who are spending their free time finding our caches. I will email owners if there is some sort of a problem jsut to help them know the stauts of the cache. Recently I had one that the fireants thought it was a godo place to build a home under. I emailed them and let them know just to help them out.

I had a couple DNF's on my cache, turned out the parks people were clearing the area and the snagged the cache. I promptly checked the cache, found it to be gone and archived it. I then emailed each person who contacted me about the dnf and thanked them. It made my life as an owner very easy adn I was happy others didnt have thier time wasted.

Unfortunately, to often we see cache owners who dont care, who just like to have numbers out there, or cannot be contacted by any means. I hate those as I hate to see people wasting their time.

MH

If the cache is hard I don't email. If it's supposed to be easy I do. Especially if I'm thinking the DNF means MIA.

Yeah, I meant to say that, too.

I have one cache that is a pretty decent hide that racked up the DNFs (and still does on occasion).

I noted on the page that it was tough and rated it accordingly so everybody knew what they were in for.

I don't generally e-mail a note to cachers who don't find my caches, but I do try to check on the cache as soon as possible. I then post a note on the cache page as to whether or not it's still there and it's condition if necessary. This way I can communicate to any cacher (as well as the DNFer) who may be looking at the cache page wondering about its condition and/or difficulty. If someone DNFs a second time, I might send a personal note.

- Kewaneh

If they email me and ask for a hint, I will give them one.

If they just log a DNF, I don't send them a hint. Whenever *I* don't find a cache, I will go back and look for it again. Then if I am completely stumped, I will email the owner and ask for a hint or take another team member with me to see if we have any luck together.

I don't automatically send a hint when someone logs a DNF on one of my caches. Only because I wouldn't want someone to do this to me if I logged one DNF. To me, it's like saying, "Hi, I noticed you were too dumb to find my cache on the first try so here is a hint to make it super easy so you won't have to really look for it the next time you go out there".

I figure if they want a hint, they will ask me, and I will gladly send them one in email. :D

If there are 2 or 3 DNF's in a row, I will go verify that the cache is there and post a note to the cache page letting people know it is not missing.

As a cache owner, if you get a notification from one of your caches stating a DNF do email the owner and offer advice for helping them find it next time?

Nope. I don't expect a note from the owner when I log a DNF either. I've logged lots of them, and can only recall receiving a very few emails as a result. My response to a DNF on one of my caches is usually to check the cache to make sure it is still there.

I do respond to email requests for help though.

I used to email them all when someone got a dnf, I have too many caches to do that now but if they are someone I know I will or if they ask I will offer a clue.

These days I get some dnf's from people with just a handful of finds who complain about crappy coordinates or that the cache just has to be missing. Of course it's found again a day or so later by an experienced cacher.

I don't know, I have almost 100 hides and I don't find it a problem to email people, but I don't get that many dnf's either. But I still think it's courtesy to email them and see what's up. Sometime you can just tell by their posting of what type of response they need. Here's two examples:

---------

One I need to check on for sure:

Log Date: 6/25/2004

I couldn't find this one. It might be gone. I found a paper from the

log, a pen and one of FishPoet's geocoins scattered around,

---------

This one was found the same day by someone else, so I emailed them asking what I can do to help them out somemore.

"Log Date: 6/28/2004

Thought this one would be a cache & dash... boy was I wrong. Almost missed my cross country plane because I stayed too long looking. Guess I need a subtle hint on the camo if it hasn't been muggled by a homeless person??

---------

Or this one, being such a small area and they didn't find it I basically told them where it should be, but most likely where it is.

Log Date: 6/26/2004

WAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! gosh darn it! yeah, I saw evidence that the king had been there, but Elvis had either left the building, or I am just blind today. sigh. thanks though, I will be back if it is there, and even if it isn't! :D

The owner of my DNF did not e-mail me. However, another local cacher noticed my DNF, and my plea for help, and gave me a hint. Two months later (when I was back in the area), I used the hint and found the cache. It turns out, the cache is pretty easy to find, and I now chuckle when other's don't find it.

I'll do it sometimes. If I have a few DNF's in a row, I'll check on the cache and report the status to those who DNF'ed it. One DNF I probably won't bother, unless there was something in the person's log to make me believe it might be missing. Then I may ask a few questions about where they were searching to see if they were in the right place.

<<Read in a silly Frech accent>>

First I tell them to go away, or I will taunt them some more. Then I put my thumbs in my ears, wave my fingers and give them Bronx Cheers. If that doesn't work I will hurl bovines at them. :D:D:D:D:ph34r:

I actually did send a somewhat snippy reply to one cacher who posted in his DNF how many finds they had in so many states yadayadayada, and since they didn't find my cache in MUST be missing.

<<back in normal tones now>>

I won't send a hint unless it's asked for; and even then I wn't make it a silver platter hint at first. There is supposed to be some challange in finding these. :D

I will confirm that they were looking in the right place if it's a cache that is close to places where we shouldn't hide or look (yes, some of my unban micros fit this definition). I will also check on a cache if an experienced cacher posts a DNF to ensure it's still in play.

These days I get some dnf's from people with just a handful of finds who complain about crappy coordinates or that the cache just has to be missing. Of course it's found again a day or so later by an experienced cacher.

Well, it takes time for these newbies to learn the tendencies of cache hiders. In my region, the regulars have come to expect the coordinates for caches placed by one hider routinely to be ~ 60ft off. We have come to expect caches from a couple of other hiders to routinely be within 10 ft, and if they aren't, one can be pretty sure there is trouble with the cache. Newbies wouldn't know these things, or that on average, the coordinates of the typical cache will only bring one to within 30 ft of the cache.

When I owned caches, I replied to DNFs that suggested to me that a problem might exist with the cache.

As a general rule, I don't email people who log DNF's unless they contact me (there are always exceptions, of course). However, if it should be an easy find and it might be missing I always post a note on the cache page thanking the cacher for bringing it to my attention and indicating that I will look into it. That way others out there can be aware I'm not ignoring the DNF.

I almost never get a response by email when I post a DNF.

Unless it's supposed to be a tough to find cache I usually e-mail the non-finder. Make sure the cache is still there and to see if I can make the hint better to allow people to find it easier. I enjoy taking people to places not frustrating them with a bad hide.

I always appreciate it when I get an e-mail (or phone call) about a DNF on a cache rated 2 or lower. If nothing else, I know they care about their caches and want to make sure it's still there.

Recently I placed my first cache. Rated just a 1.5 it took awhile before a DNF was posted. The DNF included a story of a caretaker locking the gate and the cachers having to run and yell to be let out, but that they would be back.

Now I am not sure if they went into the nearby private cemetery or the university's soccer stadium, but either way I wanted no problems from either. (It’s on university property and yes I got permission first.) I emailed them immediately and thanked them for trying to visit my cache and assured them that the cache was not inside any type of fence or wall and they could access it 24 hrs a day. I also offered to give an additional hint if they could not locate it on their next trip.

It does make me wonder if anyone else had made the same mistake and if I need to post a note on the page.

My response to dnf's is situational, on my very difficult hides i email if the finder asks for help. If they are new cachers and I know it is a difficult hide I will email them all other caches I wait to hear from the finder to see if they want help. That is usually the situation that I hear from them before I get to email them.

i usually do not email DNFs or even founds for that matter. if a cacher has something interesting to say, i email them. if they are a brand new cacher, i email them whether it is my cache or not, and whether they found it or not.

if you have DNFd one of my difficult caches, chances are you have already emailed me and several other cachers.

if you're new and you've DNFd an moderately difficult cache, i may send you a message suggesting caches in the area that might be good to cut your teeth on.

if you have written an interesting log for a cache or TB (mine or not), you probably get an email from me if i've read and enjoyed it.

if you've picked up one of my signature items and seem to like it, you get an email from me.

so i try to be friendly, but i also do not particularly email DNFs

I do not send an e-mail if there is only one DNF. Then depending on the cache if I see a second DNF I will check on the cache to make sure there is not a problem, Then I will the send an e-mail to those who posted the DNF and also post a note on the cache page. Some of my caches are very hard to find (even for me). For those caches I want to see more than just a couple of DNF before I check them, and unless those DNFs are posted by cachers wth lots finds I am ot going to be in a hurry to check on them.

I never really thought about it much, but I guess I do. Mine aren't so hard that I would expect a DNF unless it is missing. When one comes up, I'll send a note and go check it (excepting the one "vacation cache" I have near my Mother's home-- which gets checked 3-4 times a year...) to see if it is ok. If it is, then I'll email a clue or encouragement, as needed.

Only once did the cache actually go missing after a DNF; I replaced it, and it went again, I moved it and reworked it, and it went again. Someone was messing with it (but oddly enough returned the original ammo tin to its original position several months later.) Then I went to virtual. The emails back and forth between cachers was good and helpful to all.

Just recently I've started e-mailing everyone who hunts one of my caches. A 'thank you' to finds, an 'oops, need help?' to DNFs. Depending on the wording, the wording varies, but I never give help until they ask for it. Most of the time I get a reply, sometimes a conversation ensues. I like the contact brings. Of course I only have 10 caches so far, with more it might get too much, but not yet.

I don't routinely write anyone, nor do I expect anyone to write me if I DNF one of their caches.

If I'm truly stumped I'll ask around for a quasi-hint (don't tell me where it is, please!) and I've found that people who DNF my caches (two are mildly difficult) will either write and ask for a hint if they want one (they may get it, depending on how old the cache is) or will ask around (they may not get it b/c all previous finders are under the threat of death if they reveal anything).

We only have about five active cachers here in town (and another dozen or so arm-chair cachers) so it's not a big group, we all know each other pretty well and are routinely in touch with one another.

And I say that in the nicest, straightest way possible.

-=-

michelle

I have always thought you had to email the owner of the cache if you needed a hint on a dnf. But I got bounced by a spam filter today from a cache owner that I was just sending a comment to about a cache I couldn't find. So maybe the owner emailing dnf's is not a bad idea.

Ignoring a DNF is like telling cachers that they don't matter and I'm not even going to consider that my cache may have a problem. Word gets around, your caches get a bad name, and the next thing you know, your name is mud.

YAY!!! Thank you for saying that! The cacher that showed me how to cache did that to me and I swear I just want to haul off and slap him. Part four of his seven part multi is missing and he won't go and fix it/check it...

Don't think that just because someone is new, they don't know what they're talking about. I went to This Cache many times and with help and talked to the cache owner and told him. As you can see, he didn't archive it until April 7th of this year... I told him it was missing in June or July of last year. It was one of the first caches I tried. His response was to tell me where to look - exactly where I was looking, thank you - and not go and check.

However, another local cacher noticed my DNF, and my plea for help, and gave me a hint.

I had a similar experience; I posted a DNF on my second cache-hunt and the person who logged it after me sent me a note that, no, I wasn't crazy it really was near where I was looking (it was a micro), and, BTW did you know about this other one in the same park. I went back and found the both some time later.

Another DNF I posted didn't get a note from the owner, but I was pretty sure I had found where it should have been and said so in my DNF (it was an easy one and with the hint pretty obvious); anyhow, the cache did get archived promptly with a note that the owner would check it. I was out introducing someone else to GC so it really helped to go back to the page and show him that something really had been there and this game wasn't just nuts! :laughing: (I have a watch on the cache, but so far nothing new.....)