Thrilled Newbies

Guest Ratzilla

Guest Ratzilla

One week ago, at the end of some news report, my wife and I watched a story about a family that was Geocaching. My Wife and I thought this was very interesting and immediately checked out the Geocaching.com icon_wink.gif website, we realized that this was definitely for us.

The day before yesterday, Fry?s (electronics superstore) had a sale on the Magellan GPS 315x, the "x" just means it comes with the comes with PC Data Cable, DataSend CD-ROM and Canvas Carrying Case, for only $129.99, from what we could tell on the internet, this was a bargain icon_biggrin.gif so we scrounged our pennies together and bought it. So far we are very pleased with it, we have actually had allot of fun with it just driving around.

We also downloaded the EasyGPS program, it is some awesome software, the thing we like best about it is that we will be able to store waypoints and routes on the PC instead of cluttering up the GPS (and its free). Just out of curiosity we also downloaded the ExpertGPS program, this program is unbelievable. Not only does it deliver everything that EasyGPS does, but it also draws the routes and gives aerial photo views of routes and waypoints. But we spent our mad money on the GPS unit, so we will have to wait some time to register it. icon_frown.gif

It will be quite some time anyway, before we do any Geocaching, my Wife is recovering from surgery icon_smile.gif

Someone needs to start a category of disabled accessible cache?s rolleyes.gif LOL. My wife and I both have websites, hers is at http://www.ratzilla.com/stelerhawk/index.html and mine is at http://www.ratzilla.com/bus/index.html and as soon as I can get to it, I will start one at http://www.ratzilla.com/geocaching/index.html www.ratzilla.com is our family business website.

We just want to say Thank You to the Geocaching.com website and all the people that have placed cache?s for others to enjoy.

Ellen & Marshall

------------------

Guest Markwell

is completely accessible, and there's another one that we walked literally 4 feet from our car door.

Check with some of the cachers in your area and see if they know of one that is handicapped accessible. Don't lose your momentum due to some surgery icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest Ttepee

Ellen and Marshall,

You could use this recovery period to plan caches to hide. I love the planning stages... read logs from other caches and get the imagination spinning... then look around for stuff that you want in your cache. www.oriental.com is the addie for Oriental Trading Company which sells all kinds of toys and knick Knack stuff for great prices so you could do your shopping on line and not have to run around. Research your area for public land that you could hide caches on and you'll be ready when the time comes. As for handicap accesible caches, I think to be on the safe side if I were you I would use the email link for the cache owner and ask them directly if your handicapped condition would make it feasible to reach the cache before you head out... dispappointment could become frustrating so best to know before hand if it's possible .. they may be able to give you easiest access routes if there are any... I would be cautious even for 1 ratings. It sure is a great sport hope you find lots of enjoyment from it.

Tina

Guest Ratzilla

Thank you Markwell & Ttepee. Markwell, that link was excellent, I think Brokenwing has an excellent idea of what the ratings should be. Ttepee, paint this mental picture (me slapping myself in the head), GREAT idea, just E-mail the owner of the Cache, and present my situation, I feel silly!

Thanks

Marshall