Where's My Warn Meter?

CrimsonWrath

The warn meters are still there; the moderators can see them. I believe that the forum settings for what is displayed were modified yesterday afternoon.

I cannot speak for TPTB as to why exactly this was done, but I'll note two reasons that have come up time and again:

1. There are several new topics each month where someone asks, "Why does it say "warn" next to my name? Did I do something wrong?" The need for those threads has disappeared.

2. Some community members resented the constant reminder that "Big Brother is watching you. Post something in violation of the Forum Guidelines and your meter will show some red instead of pure pink." Well, it's not there staring at you anymore.

As I've always said in all those prior threads, which I won't miss one bit, for 90-something percent of the community, the warn meter is irrelevant. Now it's even more irrelevant.

Thanks for the explaination KA, but you failed to answer my question. Is there any way to check your warn status (and the mod notes that accompany increases/decreases in your meter) without the meter to click on?

(Don't ask why I know so much about how the meter works)

Edited by Stunod

Thanks KA. You pretty much have it right on.

I was adding the new emoticons yesterday and noticed that you can remove the warn meters from being viewed altogether. For most of your reasons I decided it made sense at this point to stop all of the "What is that warn meter thingy" posts on the site. Since it is merely a tool for communicating between moderators on the board, and since the user will know when they have been warned, there is no point to waggle it in front of folks who are good discussion group members.

Thanks for the explaination KA, but you failed to answer my question. Is there any way to check your warn status (and the mod notes that accompany increases/decreases in your meter) without the meter to click on?

Not to my knowledge.

Maybe we can get the post count removed now, too.

I'm all for that!!!! :D

That wouldn't bother me either. I'm tired of certain people saying "you only post to get your count higher"

Definitely. I had an acquaintance from another message board I frequent join geocaching recently. He was telling all the other people on the other message board that I am one of the biggest players on gc.com, simply because he saw the number of posts I've made. I don't want anyone confusing post count with actual caching ability, as most people know there really is no correlation.

I've said all along that I don't care what my post count is, I've never posted to "up my count", and it will not affect the way I post if it is removed. I just like to post drivel, that most likely won't change.

That wouldn't bother me either. I'm tired of certain people saying "you only post to get your count higher"

now you're just being abjectly silly. :D

No, if the post count is there, I'll reference it when I hit milestones (search for MM Club if you don't remember). If there was no post count, we wouldn't talk about it at all. I would still be abjectly silly with almost all posts, and answer honest questions like I always have.

awww, I'm going to miss the what's this topics B)

Don't worry. In the future someone will mention "warn meter", and a newbie will reply to that thread with, "What's this?".

The fact that the mega-posters want the post count to go away should insure that it will stay. :D

2.  Some community members resented the constant reminder that "Big Brother is watching you.  Post something in violation of the Forum Guidelines and your meter will show some red instead of pure pink."  Well, it's not there staring at you anymore.

But Big Brother is still watching but now it just covert.

Having the warn meter show red to some people is a good reminder to watch their behaviour...

Not that I would know anything about such things

Maybe we can get the post count removed now, too.

I'm all for that!!!! :D

Same here.

Another vote for dropping the post counter.

Add my name to that list. Maybe it will cut down on some of the friction. :D

there wouldn't be any friction if people would stop "abcessing" about it.

that's not a typo either. :ph34r: