Jeep Tb

Ghostcat78

I took a jeep tb from a cache and on the website the jeep serial number doesn't match and the tb tag number doesn't match. Is there somebody who fixes this, or do I just send the jeep on with the wrong numbers???

I can see this being a problem only since there is a contest going on involving a substantial prize, there could be doubts that you really found it if you log a different jeep number than the one listed that's supposed to be in the cache. I'm not really to worried about this, but I thought it should be brought to somebodies attention. After all I am more interested in seeing my little yellow friend travel on and viewing his logs.

I believe this was brought up before (although i cant find the post), but the TB tag number and Jeep serial number are not supposed to match. If i am not mistaken, the serial number is just part of a count (0001 through 4000) of all the Jeep TBs. The Tag Number is the one you use when logging.

If the serial number matched the tag number, then anyone would be able to log it without even having possession of it, since the tag numbers are required to "grab" it. Seeing the serial number online would give you the tag number, allowing you to log it.

Edited by Nappy10

I had noticed the same thing. I picked up Jeep 4X4 #2983, but the serial number on the bottom of the jeep says 03063.

I think ghostcat78 is talking about the number on the white strip compared to the Jeep 4X4 number and not the number on the TB tag used to log the bug.

Edited by reg3

So if I say the travel bug ##### when I log it in, but the website says it is ###, what is its real number? ### or ###? So basically the number is whatever the website says it is and not what's on the tag?? This is confusing. I would think the same number would be on the tag and on the website. here is a link to it

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=99894

edited to remove travel bug #'s

Edited by ghostcat78
Here are my numbers of the travel bug:

Jeep# (white strip on bottom): 01558

TB tag#:******

website Jeep #: 0421

So if I say the travel bug #is ****** when I log it in, but the website says it is 0421, what is its real number? 712 or 421? So basically the number is whatever the website says it is and not what's on the tag?? This is confusing. I would think the same number would be on the tag and on the website. here is a link to it

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=99894

FYI, you'll want to edit that post and remove the travel bug tracking number - otherwise anyone that wanted to could log in and say that they found it. The number on the tag is supposed to be a secret for those that own the tags, and the people that find and transport them.

Now, I know what you mean about the serial numbers on the actual Jeeps. The one I just found says 3177, which the identifier on it's travel bug page claims that it is Jeep 3135.

So if I say the travel bug #is JPG*** when I log it in, but  the website says it is 0421, what is its real number? *** or 421? So basically the number is whatever the website says it is and not what's on the tag??
Jeep# (white strip on bottom): 01558

I dont know what the purpose of this white stip is, but I am guessing it has something to do with the manufacturer of the Jeep itself. For all intensive purposes, you can ignore this number

TB tag#:JPG***

This is the number on the tag and is a "password" so to speak. You use this number to confirm that you actually have the Jeep. If it matched the listed number on the website then everyone would have the "password" and would be able to log it.

When you "grab" the travel bug, you enter this tag number so that geocaching.com can ensure you actually have it.

website Jeep #: 0421

This number is what appears on the website. Others can use this to search for the Jeep TB, even though they dont have possession of the Jeep. This number is public information and allows others to reference it or watch it.

Edited by Nappy10

I didn't think about my YJTB being hijacked for posting the numbers. I figured most people on here are honest. afterall we are all trusting each other with our caches. I just thought about the jeep contest and didn't want to be ineligable because I had the wrong numbers posted on a TB. It would really suck if I won a new jeep and then they said oops, sorry you don't qualify because your tags didn't match. I edited my previous posts, thanks,

I didn't think about my YJTB being hijacked for posting the numbers. I figured most people on here are honest. afterall we are all trusting each other with our caches.

Well, after having many of my caches vandalized or stolen, I've learned that you can't always trust those around you. :D It is especially annoying when you know that someone couldn't have just accidently found your cache... someone came to the site, got the coordinates, and then set out to steal it. Burns me up.

But yeah... people can (and would) do what I was warning about. People suck, generally. :ph34r: