Caching In Cemeteries

btlgrl

:bad: I was just wondering if anyone else gets a little freaked out when you have to head into a cemetery to cache? I went to one the other day. It was a small historical cemetery near an old stone wall. I was hoping it would be hidden outside the perimeter, but my GPS device told me otherwise. So I made the sign of the cross, and headed in. I lasted only five minutes in there, because as I rounded two toppled headstones, I came across a dead cat! I'm thinking Satan worship, so I made tracks. Are there a lot of these around, and are there any rules about them, especially historic ones? Btlgrl :bad:
"I lasted only five minutes in there, because as I rounded two toppled headstones, I came across a dead cat!"

PLEASE Say it was Sparky!!! ;):bad::bad::bad:

Edited to include quote

I hope it wasn't sparky (if that is your cat), because he/she wouldn't be of much use to you now! I saw BONES!!!! ;)

"I lasted only five minutes in there, because as I rounded two toppled headstones, I came across a dead cat!"

PLEASE Say it was Sparky!!! ;)  :bad:  ;)  :bad:

Edited to include quote

I hope it wasn't sparky (if that is your cat), because he/she wouldn't be of much use to you now! I saw BONES!!!! ;)

Nope..Sparky Watts is a regular here in the forums. He posts constantly, making the likes of RK, GPS Smurffboy and Woodster seem like monks that have taken a vow of silence! :D

His avitar is that of a drenched cat...hence the reference! Just messing with ya drowned Felix! You still smell like wet cat! ;);):bad:

I've been watching this thread to see the answers, since I am considering placing a micro in a local cemetery. It is the first official cemetery in our county, and contains the graves of some of the earliest settlers to the area (early to mid 1800's). I wanted to see what others thought about a small DISCREET micro, mostly just to get people to visit a historial site that most don't even know about. The cemetery has fallen into disrepair, so the attention could help get it cleaned up, our scout troop is going to help with that.

Now, please take this in the humorous sense it is intended. :bad: The discussion seems to have devolved into the security value of what appears to be a MASSIVE :bad: dog (something in the picture for perspective would help) and the life expectancy of Sparky. From the avatar I've seen, the caption should be "Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin'...ah...well, 2 out of three aint bad!"

I've visited several cemetery caches also, and didn't have a problem with any of them. Some have led me to interesting historic sites that I didn't know about. I recently visited a virtual cache in my area that turned out to be the final resting place of the "last surviving member" of the Louis and Clark expedition. I found that to be really interesting - even though I did some research and learned that he was actually the third-to-last survivor of the famous expedition.

Greetings All

Provided the cache is respectful. I have no issues with cemeteries. If you think about, cemeteries are one of the most important ways that we can keep in touch with our past, be a family member you knew or one you didn't. It could be someone from the past who had a great influence on the surrounding area or the country. I find that a cemetery can brings the past to life (in a way.). It is the closest you can get to some of the greatest people in history.

Baston

:bad:  I was just wondering if anyone else gets a little freaked out when you have to head into a cemetery to cache?

Quite the contrary -- I EMBRACE cemetery caches! In fact, my friend Brainerd and I have created two nifty cemetery cache tours - one is all-virtual, and the other has a regular cache container at the end.

If you're in the Los Angeles area, we invite you to visit the following:

1. ETERNAL FAME - FOREST LAWN GLENDALE (TOUR) -- GCG8MM

2. ETERNAL FAME - FOREST LAWN HOLLYWOOD HILLS (TOUR) -- GCJNK2

:bad: I was just wondering if anyone else gets a little freaked out when you have to head into a cemetery to cache? I went to one the other day. It was a small historical cemetery near an old stone wall. I was hoping it would be hidden outside the perimeter, but my GPS device told me otherwise. So I made the sign of the cross, and headed in. I lasted only five minutes in there, because as I rounded two toppled headstones, I came across a dead cat! I'm thinking Satan worship, so I made tracks. Are there a lot of these around, and are there any rules about them, especially historic ones? Btlgrl :bad:

or "Doctor, whenever I intentionally bash my hand with a hammer it really hurts. What am I doing wrong?"

I came across a dead cat!

Ewwww! I just did that one, and I didn't see any dead cat! I do remember squinting up at that tree in the back left corner and thinking, "if ever I saw a tree that looked like it might be inclined to swallow me whole, that's the one." A more sinister looking old tree I never saw.

I like visiting historic cemetaries, but I'm surprised anyone ever gets permission to place a cache in one. It doesn't sound like something a caretaker would like.

As long as you stcik to the rules and don't require anyone to dig up the cache, no it wouldn't bother me. What's the point of a cemetary being historical if people can't visit it?

Eww. "The cache is a 6 foot by 2 1/2 foot oak container. Contents include a log book, pen, and a decaying body." :bad:

Now, please take this in the humorous sense it is intended.  :bad:  The discussion seems to have devolved into the security value of what appears to be a MASSIVE  :bad:  dog (something in the picture for perspective would help) and the life expectancy of Sparky.  From the avatar I've seen, the caption should be "Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin'...ah...well, 2 out of three aint bad!"

On a serious note as long as the cache is discreet and done respectfully cemetery caches are fine.

On a less serious note SpencerB wanted some perspective on how large my Mastiff Hannibal is. This is a pic of him and my wife on a recent cache hunt. :bad:

db69a59d-41c4-4807-9a3b-19ba2b48f1d9.jpg

As long as you stcik to the rules and don't require anyone to dig up the cache, no it wouldn't bother me. What's the point of a cemetary being historical if people can't visit it?

Eww. "The cache is a 6 foot by 2 1/2 foot oak container. Contents include a log book, pen, and a decaying body." :bad:

Easy now. I was only hinting at such a description. :bad:

Just walking in carrying a shovel would probably draw attetion.

This is a pic of him and my wife on a recent cache hunt. :bad:

Wow, sometimes the jokes are just too easy. I'll pass on this one.

Several people have remarked on being respectful in cemeteries. What would be a disrespectful cache? I don't think you're warning against a requirement to have your picture taken while dancing on someone's grave, but what would be acceptable on other caches that aren't acceptable in a cemetery?

I dont mind caching in cemetarys. Just as long as none of the residents want to join me. BUt uhh any one else ever get a picture like this in a cemetary? I was 'ghost hunting' one time months ago and i could see this mist through the lcd screen of my camera. it was moving and darting, really wierd. i plan to go back and reinvestigate.

kevin%20ecto%203.JPG

aj

I think the key word is respect. I visited one recently where the cache was hidden up against a headstone (tacky). At least it was someone who had passed away many many years ago. My wife and I lost a son years ago and I think I'd be pretty ticked off if I found somone using his grave as a playground. We think of cemetaries as sacred places.

Having said that, many older cemetaries are fascinating to visit and offer a lot of interesting information on the history of an area. I prefer caches either outside the boundaries or virtuals that require me to do some learning as I walk around.

My dad told me "You can tell a lot about a community by how they maintain their cemetary." The older I get the more wisdom I find in his comment.

I think the key word is respect. I visited one recently where the cache was hidden up against a headstone (tacky). At least it was someone who had passed away many many years ago. My wife and I lost a son years ago and I think I'd be pretty ticked off if I found somone using his grave as a playground. We think of cemetaries as sacred places.

Having said that, many older cemetaries are fascinating to visit and offer a lot of interesting information on the history of an area. I prefer caches either outside the boundaries or virtuals that require me to do some learning as I walk around.

My dad told me "You can tell a lot about a community by how they maintain their cemetary." The older I get the more wisdom I find in his comment.

I hope and pray you hold on to happy memories.

I like doing the cemetery ones. A cacher has a series of them in Indiana called "Indiana Spirit Quest." They're great! I never would have known all I now know about the author Gene Stratton Porter ("A Girl of the Limberlost") if he hadn't placed his caches. Lots of very cool, OLD cemeteries.

Sorry, I didn't realize this had been done before. My bad. I did return to the cache site today, and I did find it. It was off in a corner of the site, so someone could get to it without disturbing the graves. Otherwise, I did enjoy reading the headstones (the ones that were still standing, that is :D ). They are great historical references, and I agree with those of you who think it's a good idea to bring attention to them. This one is in horrible shape. Once again, sorry for bulldozing the horse over the head with this one. I'll try to do a better topic search next time. Thanks B) btlgrl

Sorry, I didn't realize this had been done before. Once again, sorry for bulldozing the horse over the head with this one. I'll try to do a better topic search next time. Thanks :D btlgrl

Don't feel the need to apologize, if someone doesn't want to read the thread they don't have to. B)

Yes, like he said. Ask your questions, you'll get answers. If you search for old one's, you might get different answers than now, some rule might have changed, etc.

My team now lives in an area (LA) where cemetaries are gated and there are no pathes to mozy though, but when we lived in a more welcoming place (Pgh) doggies and I loved walking though cemetaries. I only ever go to any cache in daylight no matter where so never felt feaked out. Plus cirlce of life and all.

I love to cache in cemeteries. Especially the older ones that we have in Kitsap County, Washington.

I'm not freaked out at all, but I am careful where I walk. There is no way I'm gonna intentionally walk on a grave!! :( I guess I figure the occupant will come to get me. :(

A couple of the ones here that I have been in are utterly abandoned. No one has been buried in them for 70 or more years. Unfortunately, the cemeteries are also no longer cared for. At night, they can be real creepy. :P

The Burley Cemetery is a prime example. The folks there were colonists of a sort in the late 19th century here. From what I gather, it was a very early attempt at a commune, as we understand the term. After the colonists had pretty much all died, they seem to have been forgotten. This is probably the saddest place I have been to in a long time. There is no one left to take care of their grave or headstones. :P

Anyway, caching in a cemetery is, for the most part, a lot of fun, in a somber sorta way.

:( I was just wondering if anyone else gets a little freaked out when you have to head into a cemetery to cache? I went to one the other day. It was a small historical cemetery near an old stone wall. I was hoping it would be hidden outside the perimeter, but my GPS device told me otherwise. So I made the sign of the cross, and headed in. I lasted only five minutes in there, because as I rounded two toppled headstones, I came across a dead cat! I'm thinking Satan worship, so I made tracks. Are there a lot of these around, and are there any rules about them, especially historic ones? Btlgrl :P

My folks always said "It aint the DEAD people you hafta worry about hurting you, it's the LIVING ones." :(

Over a long 4th of July weekend Donna and I found caches in graveyards and enjoyed them. If you're ever in Charleston, SC be sure to do "Stumped" GC5890 - it is the most unique marker I have ever seen.

In Myrtle Beach, SC we did Alice's Grave GCB8B and while doing that one my palm pilot locked up on and had to be reset which caused me to lose all of my data :( After resynching we were back out on the hunt.

Zack

Here in Nashville, there's a series of caches in cemetaries, not so creatively named RIP. The ones I've done all seem to be placed in the cemetary, but around a tree or something simelar. I would say if you're going to do it, don't put it next to a stone (although a monument would probably be okay to put it near), find a tree or a fence or something and put it there. Or use a stone to find cords to a cache box outside of the cemetary. Ie - find the grave of Fred Mitcham and use the day of his birth for A.... etc..

One of the toughest multi-caches so far was in a local historical cemetery. There are a lot of pioneers and early settlers buried there.

And yes, the actual cache is in the cemetery. It's been there for about 2 years and had a few travel bugs pass through. It's hiding in plain sight, and looks exactly like it belongs there.

Some of the headstones tell quite a story. Lots and lots of history. Plus, lots and lots of numbers for coordinate offsets to make a wonderful multi-cache that involves a tour of the regions' history.