Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Rogue_monkey

Radio Scanners

ok first how this relates to geocaching. i want the scanner to recieve frs/gmr signals.

ok so my question is which radio scanner should i get.

1) must be a hand help, with the ability to attach an antenna i can use in the car (i have an old cb antenna i would use.)

2) i want it to get and my frequencies as possible.

3) must be able to recieve frs/gmr frequencies.

4)decent amout of channels

5) trunking is not that big of a deal

6) and under $350 cdn

any sugestions is a great help

thanks. happy hunting

Howdy.

The topic if radio scanners is as varied as monkeys in zoos. Your first requirement for a handheld is great. Most first radios be it scanners or ham should be handheld in my opinion. Also most new scanners come with a BNC connector in the top to hook to other antennas. It is a proven design and adaptors can be purchased almost anywhere. Now as for hooking it up to a CB antenna you will probably not be very pleased with the results. A CB antenna is tuned for 27 megahertz. Your FRS and GMRS as well as most public safety is located in the 150 megahertz to 460 megahertz. I'm not going to go into a rambling description but suffice it to say that is a huge gap in antenna performance. With that in mind I have three reccomendations.

1. Purchase a nice FRS radio that can do all 14 channels. It is much more fun to talk then just listen.

2. Also purchase a scanner. My preffered is a Radio Shack whatever. They are cheap, reliable, and parts can be retrieved from any store location. People say this and that about how bad they are because you cannot listen to some trunked, digitized, satellite signal from Russia but most people don't really want to anyway. Just make sure that the scanner receives the correct frequency.

3.Get your ham radio license. That is just the best plan :bad:

Brad

ok first how this relates to geocaching. i want the scanner to recieve frs/gmr signals.

ok so my question is which radio scanner should i get.

1) must be a hand help, with the ability to attach an antenna i can use in the car (i have an old cb antenna i would use.)

2) i want it to get and my frequencies as possible.

3) must be able to recieve frs/gmr frequencies.

4)decent amout of channels

5) trunking is not that big of a deal

6) and under $350 cdn

any sugestions is a great help

thanks. happy hunting

:bad: Make it easy. Buy a GrMS and FRS. Buy a GMRS unit that will allow you to use a BNC antenna. This will allow you to use a UHF antenna. a old cell phone antenna would work better than the CB type. See www.popularwireless.com/gmrsfaqa.html. check out the uniden at http://www2.shopping.com/xPF-Uniden_BC60XLT_1. One word of caution some states donot allow you to use your scanner in mobile unless you have a Ham ticket or a volunter firefighter. The most important think is to get your antenna up high in the clear and use good quailty coax. Unlike CB the signals are very weak and the don't do well with long coax runs. In a pinch put our radio on a stick and use some head phones. Remember what every you hear keep to yourself.

The R5 is an exceptional unit - maybe more scanner than you really need. I see you're in the GTA. It might be worth a trip to Radioworld here in Toronto. They have some very knowledgeable staff that can help you out and I speak from experience when I say they are excellent at dealing with any problems you might encounter with purchases. C-A

I have a Uniden Bearcat BC245XLT, 300 Chanell Capable of 29mhz - 956mhz, with only the cell freq. blocked and it is capable of trunking. I only paid $100 CDN and at the time it was work $500 CDN, it still runs about $350, I was told mine was special cause it fell off the truck accross the border....so im assuming its so cheap cause its duty free ;)

I'm kinda new to this stuff but I bought a pair of Motorola's Talkabouts 5950's are 1/2 w Channel 8-14. Channels 1-7 and 15-22 are 1w. 5950's have a built in scanner and NOAA weather channel and 99 Interference elimnator Codes (38 standard plus 61 didgital codes for what they call "superior eliminator protection) About $60 for the pair. There's no external antenna jack though.

Does this help?

Edited by Alan2

If you want to listen to police and fire you should be aware the police and fire and other public services are starting to change over to a trunked/digitel mode. This has happened in my area. There are only two scanners made that will cover these systems, one from radio shack and one from uniden, froms freinds that have the, I have been told the radio shackscaner is a better unit.

you should be aware the police and fire and other public services are starting to change over to a trunked/digitel mode.

And in some cases they have switched to encrypted digital mode. Nothing will monitor that.

i would like to say thank you for all your advice. i just ordered a sc-200 from radio world.

thanks again for all your comments.

Scanner Question???

I have the Uniden Bearcat 235 XLT It is a trunk scanner. I can pick up the Ontario Provincial Police on the 800's but I cannot follow the conversation because Of a computer generated squak. Is there something I can do to hear both sides of the conversation instead of the squak besides buying a new unit???

Fire Eater

I was thinking of posting this in the Midwest forum, this is probably a better choice. My scanner is a Uniden Bearcat 800 XLT. The antenna is indoor, variable length center loaded, from Radio Shack. My approx. location is N42deg 25min x W087deg 50min, which is about 2 miles west of Lake Michigan and 5 miles south of the Wisc. line with an alt. of about 700ft. I listen to the radio while working at my desk, which is upstairs and away from the computer.

This has to do with recent skip or propagation, which may interest some of the hams here. I don't have a GPSr, but this skip might possibly have an effect.

I'll start with what happened a couple of weeks ago at about 1:30 cdt. I heard what sounded like 'different' stations on a couple of my fire freqs. No alarm there, this will happen at times and usually doesn't last long. Then on 120.55Mhz I heard a pilot who was approaching the Lake Michigan shore from the east ask the O'Hare contoller about the weather near Waukegan. He said it was clear, no rain or anything like that nearby. The pilot had wondered about possible thunderstorms because he had just seen the most dazzling display of lightning. Then there were a couple reports by local police about hearing an explosion near the lake shore. I heard nothing. I'd also heard a report from western Lake Co., Il about railroad crossing arms down with no train approaching. The next day there was only one small report of a possible meteorite, on a Chicago tv sta. That was the extent of it.

Yesterday at 13:00 cdt I heard strange addresses on 154.19Mhz, this is the Kenosha, Wi fire. The strange addresses were coming from the Muskegon, Mi fire on that freq., loud and clear! Then on the same freq., I could hear the Gary, In fire, base and mobile, also loud and clear. Later on 154.25Mhz, the Kenosha Co., Wi fire, I heard a base from St. Joe Co., In. A Lakeville, In mobile was talking to them. Lakeville is about 10 miles south of South Bend, and well inland. The only report of interference was from the Kenosha Co. dispatcher to the Salem, Wi fire. This skip lasted well over an hour. :huh: